• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkfiend

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    in the Ford Galaxy
    When you do get the .40 S&W conversion be sure to let us know how it works. I asked a question concerning the mags when doing that and if anyone had any feeding issues when using the shorter .40 in the the G20 mags.

Same here. I've always wondered about the reliability. Also, thanks for the heads up about the shop in MV. Didn't even know there was one out there

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    When you do get the .40 S&W conversion be sure to let us know how it works. I asked a question concerning the mags when doing that and if anyone had any feeding issues when using the shorter .40 in the the G20 mags.

Same here. I've always wondered about the reliability. Also, thanks for the heads up about the shop in MV. Didn't even know there was one out there

I've posted several times about it. With the stock springs and moderately stiff .40 loads it works just fine, though it doesn't eject brass very far. If you are loading very light .40 you might have some issues with it, but with factory ammo no problem. The 10mm mags using .40 have never given me any trouble.

I have found every LWD .40 bbl I have needed to have the chamber opened .001" or so, and the feed ramp polished to run reloads, but once done they run great. I have conversion bbls for both the g20 and the g29. I have a buffing wheel that just fits the chamber that I load with a rouge polish and polish paying extra attention to the feedramp until it is reliable.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon

No worries! There are 2 shops in MV. The first as you are coming in from Evansville is on the right just past the railroad bridge is Rivercity Guns I believe. Tucker's is further into MV on the South side of the road about 3 or 4 blocks past the town square.

I've posted several times about it. With the stock springs and moderately stiff .40 loads it works just fine, though it doesn't eject brass very far. If you are loading very light .40 you might have some issues with it, but with factory ammo no problem. The 10mm mags using .40 have never given me any trouble.

I have found every LWD .40 bbl I have needed to have the chamber opened .001" or so, and the feed ramp polished to run reloads, but once done they run great. I have conversion bbls for both the g20 and the g29. I have a buffing wheel that just fits the chamber that I load with a rouge polish and polish paying extra attention to the feedramp until it is reliable.

Excellent, Thanks for the info! I always wondered if there would be feed issues with the G20 mags.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

Since a follow-up was requested, I'll update my experience with the LWD barrel.

It's been great, honestly. I can't believe a barrel of this quality is so cheap, frankly. Yes, it's probably made in China. I don't care. I've seen both great quality and total crap come from China-- where it's made means nothing, it's WHO is making it.

Before polishing it, I was able to intentionally cause a feed issue by slowly riding the slide forward with some 155gr Underwood Gold Dots. But never has it given me any problems during actual operation-- before or after polish. After polishing, I cannot create a feed issue (with the ammo I have) even if I try. Need to try more kinds of ammo in different weights to have a more valid experience base, though.

I did bring the feed ramp and the first 8-10mm of the chamber up to a near-mirror finish with some polishing compound on the Dremel.

I only have about 100 rounds through it, so it's not exactly a proven combination. But I'd certain consider carrying it IF I fed it a couple hundred rounds of the intended carry ammo without problem. And if it wasn't a porky G20 that's not optimal for CC, but that's another thread.

The chamber on the LWD barrel is a good bit tighter than the stock Glock. The brass comes out looking nearly unfired, very different than the standard dilation a stock Glock barrel will give you. It seems that this extra tightness is necessarily less reliable, but time will tell. I didn't buy this barrel to carry it, I bought it have cheaper range ammo.

But I think I WOULD consider carrying my G20 with a .357Sig conversion barrel. The bottleneck eliminated almost all feed reliability concerns associated with a conversion. The mags feed .357 SIG very reliably too (thought the follower isn't optimal, it doesn't seem to matter if you download by a round and only run 14 in a mag). In the heavy-slide G20, I'm guessing .357Sig is pretty mild, since even Underwood .40 isn't too bad at all.

I'd like to get a longer 10mm barrel, but I think I'll dabble with .357Sig before another 10mm barrel.

I'd say my experience has mirrored Shibum's-- a great barrel that's plenty reliable with factory ammo. I can't comment on reloads.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

I've only been able to run about 200 rounds of 40SW through the LWD conversion bbl.

The only time I've had a FTF has been when I rode the slide down. If I dump the slide release, it find the home just fine. This is with UMC and Tulammo (brass case).

I've also run about 20 Underwood 155gr Gold dots through it (very HOT .40 loads) and they all fed fine.

I don't know that I would say a .40 conversion is acceptable for carry. At least with a LWD barrel whose tighter "match" chamber is designed more for support and brass life than for feeding reliability.

I *would* consider carrying a .357 Sig conversion because the feeding is rock-solid reliable. Is there a reason you'd want to carry .357Sig over 10mm? Maybe. It's hard to find a good factory 10mm defensive load, while almost all .357Sig JHPs are great performers with bullets designed for the velocity.

LWD now has a 9" G20 bbl available. Not a carry option, but it would be interesting to see what that barrel could do with a slower powder like AA#9. I'm guessing you could send a 180gr load at 1500+ fps with no signs of overpressure.

I've seen several videos of guy shooting .40SW through a G20 with no conversion, just headspacing off the extractor. it drops about 100fps of velocity over a proper conversion. I take that as a bad sign, but I've never heard of a KB due to the improper conversionless shooting.

Anyway, I just got some of the Cabela's-exclusive Critical Duty in 10mm, so I have a carry load for the 10mm.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Shibum, looks like you beat me to it getting the 9" on order.

Do report here if you get any time with it. I'd love to hear what you learn about it.

I'm not sure there's a huge difference over the 6" or 6.61", but I'd love to know.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Shibum, looks like you beat me to it getting the 9" on order.

Do report here if you get any time with it. I'd love to hear what you learn about it.

I'm not sure there's a huge difference over the 6" or 6.61", but I'd love to know.

Considering I am currently without reliable income, I did not need to spend the money, but I had to have it...

I've got the 6.6 in my G20 longslide, when I get it I'll do some side by side chrony data of the stock, 6.6, 9, and the 16" carbine I have.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I got the 9"bbl today, that thing is a beast in a stock gun! I'll run some rounds through it and get some pics tomorrow.

I can't wait.

I saw the YT vids that dsjr put up of various loads with the 6"LWD barrel and the 16" mech-tech carbine. Surprisingly, the carbine is only an improvement over the 6" about as much as the 6" is over stock.

I'm guessing that the 9" will be really close to the performance of the carbine.

It depends a lot on the load, though. I'm guessing a load with something like AA#9 instead of AA#7 would really show you the benefits of the longer barrel.

Here's the really cool video:[video=youtube_share;GUyQ-E9aEnI]http://youtu.be/GUyQ-E9aEnI[/video]

Top Bottom