• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    The other day I had an "accidental discharge" at home.

I was changing clothes in the computer room, getting ready for bed. (My wife has completely taken over the bedroom closets so my clothes are kept in an extra bedroom we have converted into a computer room/study.) I set my Kel Tec P3AT on the desk, pull my shirt off, and turn to grab my bathrobe.

At that precise moment, my daughter walks in, picks up the handgun, and lets go with one round into the ceiling. Major panic for all concerned.

So, lesson #1: All guns must be secured if they are going to be out of your direct control even for a second. (I now have a pistol safe sitting on top of the computer next to the desk in addition to the nightstand pistol safe.)

Lesson #2: With young children (my daughter is 4), some lessons "stick" and others may not. The lessons that had not stuck were "don't touch unless you ask daddy first" and "no finger on the trigger unless you're ready and planning to shoot." However, "always point the gun in a safe direction" did stick. Even after the gun fired, she held it pointed in a safe direction.

Lesson #3: Without hearing protection, those things are loud.

Lesson #4: Repairing a hole in the roof cost $70.

In the end, nobody was hurt, no serious damage was done, and lessons learned all around.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Holy crap...

I'm sure I don't have to tell you how "close" that was!

Lessons learned...lessons firmly ingrained in your mind.

Be safe.

-J-

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    Glad you are ok. I had an AD at the beginning of the year. Made a pretty hole in my foot. Luckily it missed all the bone, etc and just made a hole. And a little hole in my pride too! :\

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Holy Shirt!!!!

Stuff Happens. Glad it was just noisy. Great that the lesson stuck.
    Think she'll do that again?
    Glad all are ok and take care. :yesway:

Oh, get ready for the :flamethrower: from some.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    That's sobering. I have been guilty of dismissing a few seconds of control here and there. Thanks for sharing.

INRanger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    It's '99 I'm on my first field problem. It happened to be JRTC, so 17 year old Private with maybe 5-6 days in the unit prior to the rotation. They stuck me in gun truck behind an M2 .50cal to "keep me from getting into trouble". The M2 has no safety so lo and behold we're rolling down a trail in the middle of the night, hit a bump and I rack off 4-6 rnd burst. Everyones looking at me and I do the onlything I can. I yell "CONTACT LEFT!" and just open up and so does everyone else. The whole way to the RP I'm sick to my stomach, I KNOW I'm screwed. We get to the RP and everybody is talking about how many muzzle flashes the saw and how it must have been a platoon sized element and one guy even took credit for firing first! I stood there kept my mouth shut learned a few valuable lessons and never told a soul. I kept that secret my entire career.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Not that long ago, I was at the range with a fairly new shooter. It was quiet, as we were the only ones there, so we were kinda taking our time putting up targets and everything..

I was attaching my target when suddenly he saunters up to his lane and lets about 4 rounds loose. This is a covered outdoor range, so while it's not completely enclosed, it still leaves the ears ringing a little..

I reached over, dropped his magazine, and kept it until he figured out what he'd done.

Just that was loud enough to me.. I hope I never have to discharge a firearm inside my home or vehicle..

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    Glad all is well, although scaring the sh!t out of your wife wont be getting you more closet space, that just means more close to replace the soiled ones.

But seriously, glad everyone is ok!

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I am glad you and your family are OK.

I can only pray that all the lessons that I've given my kids will prevent this kind of thing form happening with my family. So far so good... My kids are aged 24, 19, 18 and 5 and we have not had any accidents.

This is my 5-year old who has been shooting with the family since she was 4:
    mayacricketye0.jpg

Yes. She can hit what she aims at.

We do teach gun safety in our home and DO NOT allow any toy guns or BB guns in the home. Things are less confusing that way... All guns are dangerous!!!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Wow, that could've ended horribly in so many ways... glad it didn't. As one who has had an ND in the dim past and who is currently the parent of a very gun-curious 3-year-old boy, I'm not going to Monday-morning quarterback you, save to say there are SEVERAL lessons to be learned there. I hope you take them all to heart and never repeat the mistake.

mattro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Dont beat yourself up, or let anyone else beat you up over a negligent discharge. At least not for the first one.

My personal rule with my carry handguns is:

"If it comes off my body, I unload it. If it goes in the holster and on my body, I load it." This way I ALWAYS know the status of my guns, and I never leave a loaded gun lying around, and I never have to worry if the bun on me is loaded.

Putting a gun in a safe every time I take it off my person is not practical for me.

Obviously I treat every gun as if it is loaded all the time, but this way I have added peace being assured as to it's status.

I also spend alot of time with my 5 children and firearms. Gun-proof the kids, don't kid-proof the guns.

And , IMO, there is no such thing as an "accidental" discharge. They should be called "negligent" discharges (ND). If your firearm discharges without intent and without regard for the 4 safety rules, that is negligence, not accidental.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Thank you for sharing an embarassing experience. You may very well have saved someone from a tragedy. I have a two and a half year old daughter, and I just took a vow to be safer, so your story has already made a difference.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom