• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    What kind of hops are you growing? The ground in noblesville is all clay so drainage sucks here. I think it would be poor for growing hops.

Grow them in pots, quite a few people do that.

I have had my Goldings in the ground for about a week now, they are just starting to break soil. I finished stringing up my trellis to the shed, I wound up with 17.5 feet of line from the plants to the shed, so not to bad. I will try to snap some pictures tonight, along with my new stove top BIAB setup, and my kegging setup.

Boiler1529

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Mango IPA? Care to share that recipe, that sounds interesting!

Here you go Joshua: I travel out east a lot and visited troegs where they had this as one of their scratch beers. Me and a buddy decided to create one ourselves and see what we could come up with. Surprisingly its very balanced.
    He brewed this a couple months ago and I'm doing it at home to recreate. We just decided Next we are doing a kick you in the face mango double ipa with hope galore.
    We are both hop heads- I have 9 varieties growing out back which I can't wait to harvest. Anyways. Here's the recipe:

6oz honey
    6oz Munich
    6oz crystal 45

7lbs etra light dme

2oz citra
    2oz simcoe

3 fresh mangos cut up into 1in cubes(discard core)
    3 lbs frozen mango
    American ale yeast

Steep grains in 2.5 gal. Sparge with 1. Add another 1 to boil.
    Split the hops into 4 equal combined 1oz batches
    Add at the following:

Cool and add chopped up fresh mangos into primary. Ferment for a week/ transfer to secondary and add frozen batch. Finish fermenting and enjoy.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Just found this topic. The Gf and I have been doing all grain for about 2 years now and have gotten quite carried away with the hobby. We have got a B3 sculpture and just did our 7th brew. That system has saved a lot of time and improved our quality. Last weekend we bottled around 9 gals of APA and an IPA, then brewed 12 gallons of an Oktoberfest. The next weekend hopefully a Saison.

Chuck

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Right now I've got an Irish Red Ale bottled in the fridge, which will be ready this weekend. I've also got a Sierra Madre Pale Ale bottled in the basement ready for a week in the fridge starting this weekend. On deck I've got a Dead Ringer IPA.

All of these are 1 gallon batches. I bought a 1 gallon equipment kit from Northern Brewer. All the batches so far were NB extract kits.

I went with 1 gallon batches because I'm really the only one in the house that drinks beer, and I like being able to brew more often which gives me a better variety of beer so I don't get tired of drinking the same thing, and only being able to brew once in a while. With my set up I can brew literally every week, if I wanted to, so my variety is endless.

Very excited to try my first bottle. Only a few more days!

Last edited:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Nice job!

I am finishing up a nut brown ale, and a cream ale. Dry hopping 5 gallons of Zombie Dust clone and brewing 10 gallons of IPA this weekend. Next week another 5 gallon brew of Surley Bender Clone.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I found that its actually quite fun. I have learned things from both batches so far so it's also a nice bit of education.

Jeez I have a lot of hobbies now...

Indy574

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Marshall County
    The wife got me a Brewer's Best home brew kit for Christmas, and I am stoked to get started. I wish I wouldn't have thrown out so many bottles now. Have a English Pale Ale to start with for practice, then move on to the Double IPA. Might start planting in the Spring so I don't have to purchase kits.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    I've got a nut brown in bottles now, waiting for it to mature. I'm fearful it may be infected, as the first bottle at 2 weeks had a strong vinegar taste, but maybe I just need to wait.

Have a Pale Ale kit in waiting (tomorrow, perhaps?), and will be brewing a LOT more once I clean up the garage and make some more space.

Always thought it'd be a fun idea to get fellow shooters and brewers together for a range day and some home brew sampling afterwards.

REWSTER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Hammond
    I got a dunklewisen (spelling?) kit for Christmas, not sure when i will brew it up. i have a hoppy pale ale in the bottles that i am enjoying drinking.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Received a home brew kit for Christmas. Hope some of you can give me pointers if this is a hobby I continue with. Love my beer, especially my IPAs and Porters, but also have a lot of other hobbies that take up my time. My DW probably will say I have too many.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I've got a nut brown in bottles now, waiting for it to mature. I'm fearful it may be infected, as the first bottle at 2 weeks had a strong vinegar taste, but maybe I just need to wait.

Have a Pale Ale kit in waiting (tomorrow, perhaps?), and will be brewing a LOT more once I clean up the garage and make some more space.

Always thought it'd be a fun idea to get fellow shooters and brewers together for a range day and some home brew sampling afterwards.

It should be toasty malty, how much hops did you put in?

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana

Vinegar taste would be a bacterial infection. If it is, you're SOL on that batch. Sorry for your loss.

REWSTER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Hammond
    Received a home brew kit for Christmas. Hope some of you can give me pointers if this is a hobby I continue with. Love my beer, especially my IPAs and Porters, but also have a lot of other hobbies that take up my time. My DW probably will say I have too many.

what kind of kit did ya get? mr beer, northern brewer, local brew shop setup?

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN

Pay attention first to sanitation. Next follow the kit directions. Yeast health is extremely important and finally fermentation temperature is an area that if you can control the better your beer will be.

chuck

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN

The vinegar taste is from exposure to oxygen with the presence of acetobacter. Without oxygen acetobacter will not produce vinegar. Try better sanitation with less exposure to oxygen.

I would go for a shooter/brewer event sometime.

chuck

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    The vinegar taste is from exposure to oxygen with the presence of acetobacter. Without oxygen acetobacter will not produce vinegar. Try better sanitation with less exposure to oxygen.

I would go for a shooter/brewer event sometime.

chuck

I would be all for that. I actually just kegged a citra/simcoe IPA based loosely off of the mango IPA posted, but I tweaked it and converted it to all grain. It is pretty good, but there is a touch of oxygen exposure. Probably from switching carboys around, it went from my six gallon glass to a six gallon better bottle flushed with C02, then to a five gallon for dry hopping because I needed the six gallon. Oh well, I'm going to make it again and be a little more careful, because I can tell it would have been amazing had it not gotten exposed.

Top Bottom