• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Oh, and bottle bombs... I had some cider that didn't pasteurize. My fiance noticed before they started blowing up (one was hissing). I dumped them all, but decided I would do one of the dumbest things of my life. I went out back, shook one up, and the second my bottle opener hit the cap it ripped the neck off, sending it flying 20 feet across the yard. Needless to say, justifying a keg setup wasn't very hard after that.

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    Hey all,

I rolled my own for a long time a few years back. I started with hopped malts and ended up making lagers, with about a 50/50 grain/malt boil. I made mead, cider, wine you name it. I enjoyed the hell out of brewing, but the drinking got out of hand. Got out of it for various reasons. I have some equipment left. I have 2 or 3 full sized bar type tap handles, free if you come get em. I believe I have a keg in the attic, not corney but a regular keg party keg. I was going to use it for all grain but I never made it that far. I would be interested in selling the keg, I believe I covered the deposit fee for the original owner.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Kegged
    clone of Three Clouds Zombie Dust and Surely Brown Ale.

Moving out of the fermenter to the keg today a cream ale that is so good I can not make enough of it. It is so clear you can read through it and the non beer lovers drink it like fish. I got the recipe from home brew forums cream of three crops ale. Its going to be my go to beer for the lake house.

What's the recipe for the vodka lemonade? That would be perfect at the lake also. You carb it the same as the beer or higher?

Indybeer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Danville
    I used to brew All Grain all the time...even won a few ribbons at the state fair for my brews! But I stopped three years ago when I decided I needed to lose some weight. I still have a couple beers in Corneys...don't even remember what they are.

I was thinking of getting back into it, but I just never seem to have time for it. So now I'm seriously thinking of selling off my equipment, since it just sets unused in the shed.

To all of you who brew...I salute you!

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Kegged
    clone of Three Clouds Zombie Dust and Surely Brown Ale.

Moving out of the fermenter to the keg today a cream ale that is so good I can not make enough of it. It is so clear you can read through it and the non beer lovers drink it like fish. I got the recipe from home brew forums cream of three crops ale. Its going to be my go to beer for the lake house.

What's the recipe for the vodka lemonade? That would be perfect at the lake also. You carb it the same as the beer or higher?

Three liters cheap vodka mixed with pink lemonade concentrate, top up with water, seal the keg and shake. I carb it just like the beer because I dont have a dual regulator. It could be carb'd higher. I do 10psi at 38*F. If the lemonade concentrate has pulp in it, it will take a day or two for the pulp to settle out and the first couple of pours will be really cloudy and thick. After that it will be crystal clear.

This is the first batch of the lemonade we did, next time I am going to try it with powdered lemonade and see how that works out.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    I've got a Blue Moon clone in the fermenter and a pale ale and california common on deck. Honey lager will go down after that.

JusAdSumBellum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Central IN
    Awesome, guns and homebrew.

I just started IUPUI's first home brewers association. We just got approved by the university a few weeks ago.

I have an APA bottled, Kolsch bottled, and a honey wheat with wienstephan yeast sitting on rasberry puree in the secondary right now.

Anyone wanting to let go kegging equipment to the HBA of IUPUI for cheap let me know.

prowland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Greenwood
    I am getting ready to start my first batch... I have some of the equipment and plan on going to Great Fermentations to pick up the rest.

Any suggestions on what to try first? I have no problems following directions as I am in school for biochemistry/chemistry.

I dont have the setup for all grain. I have a 5 gal stainless steel pot to boil in and plan on picking up a 7(?) gal fermentor bucket and have 2 glass carboys.

I would really like to do a beer that is similar to Chimay Blue or Pere Jacques if possible.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Get one of their beginner kits and get some experience first. The Lawnmower Brew and Cream Ale GFI extract kits make good beer and are fairly simple brews. Jumping right in to bigger more complex beers may frustrate you at first. Patience is the key as well as sanitizing, everything, and then sanitizing again :) Seriously getting a couple simple brews under your belt will be a good start to learning the path to good beer. Oh and you must consume a beer while you make beer to please the beer gods ;)

NoxImus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If anyone is looking for a nice 3 tier beer stand, let me know. The company I work for uses T slotted aluminum extrusion to produce guarding, and other various projects. We recent have been doing 3 tier beer stands for how brewers. They seem to love it! I can also provide pictures if you're wondering what they look it. Check out the second post on this page.

Blichmann Modular Brewing Stand "Top Tier" (spring 09) - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    If anyone is looking for a nice 3 tier beer stand, let me know. The company I work for uses T slotted aluminum extrusion to produce guarding, and other various projects. We recent have been doing 3 tier beer stands for how brewers. They seem to love it! I can also provide pictures if you're wondering what they look it. Check out the second post on this page.

Blichmann Modular Brewing Stand "Top Tier" (spring 09) - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

I would be interested in more info.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I brewed a 5 gallon all grain batch of American Wheat Ale last night. It's a clone of 3 Floyds Gumballhead. I'm not much a wheat beer fan, but this one is commonly criticized for not tasting like a wheat beer. All Amarillo hops.

williamrights

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I just racked 11 gallons of hard cider off it's yeast. Will let it secondary ferment another 2 months before enjoying. I have had 2 outmeal stouts one 8% and one 7% tertiary aging for about a year. I at one point forgot about a stout for about a year and it was the best I ever had. I know you would wonder how I could forget. I was traveling alot for work and i have a 54 liter demijohn 2 6 gallon 1 6.5 gallon 4 5 gallon and 2 3 gallon carboys so I did not realize one got stuck in the corner with its contents.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I might post this in the classifieds, but I have a 7.5 gallon pot that I can not use. I have a flat electric range and the bottom of the pot is not flat, so it doesnt conduct the heat well. I can get a good boil in about 20 minutes with my 6 gallon that is flat, but it takes well over an hour for me to boil even a small amount in the 7.5 gallon. Any suggestions? I might have to sell it, but is there something I can put between the burner and the pot to help? I tried using it again (fourth batch with it) and I just cant. It is far to frustrating. Works great on a burner though.

Sarrsipius

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    North side of Indy
    Got 10 gallons of Amarillo IPA in the conical. Nugget pale ale and milk stout on tap. Double IPA, BDSA, and russian imperial stout in bottles. Hmmm...I need to brew less or drink more.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I might post this in the classifieds, but I have a 7.5 gallon pot that I can not use. I have a flat electric range and the bottom of the pot is not flat, so it doesnt conduct the heat well. I can get a good boil in about 20 minutes with my 6 gallon that is flat, but it takes well over an hour for me to boil even a small amount in the 7.5 gallon. Any suggestions? I might have to sell it, but is there something I can put between the burner and the pot to help? I tried using it again (fourth batch with it) and I just cant. It is far to frustrating. Works great on a burner though.

A turkey fryer would be your best bet on that pot. I don't know of any easy way to retrofit it for use on an electric stove. It's more fun to brew outside anyway.

:rockwoot:

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    A turkey fryer would be your best bet on that pot. I don't know of any easy way to retrofit it for use on an electric stove. It's more fun to brew outside anyway.

:rockwoot:

I found a 13 gallon aluminum pot for $45, completely flat bottom. I brewed with it Sunday night, and it was great! I put a sight glass on it, and after I calculated the sight glass I tried to boil ALL of that water (11 gallons) and it took some time, but I got 11 gallons to a steady boil in about 90 minutes.

The kettle covers two of my electric burners perfectly, and the 8 gallon boil for Sundays brew was boiling viciously in about 25 minutes. It was so bad that my fiance actually got a pretty bad steam burn when she checked on it for me.

Spikebrewing.com, good experience. The aluminum that I have is great, not the best, but better than a turkey fryer pot. I hear good things about their SS ones as well.

As for brewing outside, I disagree. Air conditioning, TV, not buying propane, all very good reasons to stay inside.

Grow some Citra, that stuff is hard to get late in the season!

I would love to grow Citra, but it is proprietary, so you cant get the rhizomes. I wound up with a handful of Golding rhizomes that I am going to get planted this weekend. Goldings arent supposed to yield much, so I am just having a few plants going at once.

Top Bottom