• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    As for brewing outside, I disagree. Air conditioning, TV, not buying propane, all very good reasons to stay inside.

Meh. A/C is over rated. 90 minutes of electricity just to get it to a boil plus another 60 minutes for the beer, wall paper steamed off the walls and a spouse who doesn't appreciate the smells makes a $20 turkey fryer and $5 worth of propane a no brainer. Turn on the radio and listen to a basketball/football/baseball game and multi task in the garage or yard. You just can't beat that IMO.

I made my first 2 extract batches in the kitchen and that was enough for me to take it outside or to the garage. When I went all grain, that sealed the deal. My chiller runs via garden hose too, so being outside helps there too.

Next thing you know, you'll be telling me you like Glocks. :whistle:

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Meh. A/C is over rated. 90 minutes of electricity just to get it to a boil plus another 60 minutes for the beer, wall paper steamed off the walls and a spouse who doesn't appreciate the smells makes a $20 turkey fryer and $5 worth of propane a no brainer. Turn on the radio and listen to a basketball/football/baseball game and multi task in the garage or yard. You just can't beat that IMO.

I made my first 2 extract batches in the kitchen and that was enough for me to take it outside or to the garage. When I went all grain, that sealed the deal. My chiller runs via garden hose too, so being outside helps there too.

Next thing you know, you'll be telling me you like Glocks. :whistle:

Damn, Hooky... Wallpaper?!?

J/K, but another +1 for getting out into the Gara-Lounge.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    I made a batch of CA Common (Steam Beer) this weekend and some root beer. Enjoyed a cigar and some Kolsch from Bier Brewery while doing so.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Anyone growing hops? Im thinking about ordering a few rhizomes, probably some Cascade and Goldings.

Of course I grow my own! Cascades and Willamettes.

What do you want to know about growing hops? I treat my cascades like trash and they love it. They're like my Wisteria, the more you abuse them, the more they thrive. But these are five or six year old rhizomes, they've got serious tap roots. Not all hop varieties are so robust. I never could get EKG's to grow well. They will kind an inch or two every day in April and May so it's important to give them room, mine will grow 16'-20' if they could, but now they go up ten feet then over on the support wire.

I should post some pictures - maybe this weekend since I'm brewing a mild. I've now got a Dunkelweizen on tap and a Weizenbock fermenting.

Also - I'll throw out a standing invite for FtW area brewers - come join MASH, our local club.

Anyone else here a BJCP judge?

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Of course I grow my own! Cascades and Willamettes.

What do you want to know about growing hops? I treat my cascades like trash and they love it. They're like my Wisteria, the more you abuse them, the more they thrive. But these are five or six year old rhizomes, they've got serious tap roots. Not all hop varieties are so robust. I never could get EKG's to grow well. They will kind an inch or two every day in April and May so it's important to give them room, mine will grow 16'-20' if they could, but now they go up ten feet then over on the support wire.

I should post some pictures - maybe this weekend since I'm brewing a mild. I've now got a Dunkelweizen on tap and a Weizenbock fermenting.

Also - I'll throw out a standing invite for FtW area brewers - come join MASH, our local club.

Anyone else here a BJCP judge?

I have five EKG rhizomes that I am planning on planting this weekend, so any general tips are appreciated. I was going to get some Cascade as well, but I got a crazy good deal on the EKG and my fiance is insisting on having me put in a blueberry bush where I would have planted the Cascade, so EKG is all I have this year. What kind of yield (if any?) did you get from yours? I know they dont yield much, which is why I have five of them :D

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have five EKG rhizomes that I am planning on planting this weekend, so any general tips are appreciated. I was going to get some Cascade as well, but I got a crazy good deal on the EKG and my fiance is insisting on having me put in a blueberry bush where I would have planted the Cascade, so EKG is all I have this year. What kind of yield (if any?) did you get from yours? I know they don't yield much, which is why I have five of them :D

To plant - make a nice mound with rich soil (plenty of compost), plant sideways about 2" below the surface. Water regularly this year.

Not sure about EKG yields for year one, maybe nothing. From my three cascades I get pounds of fresh hops.

Good luck!

Sarrsipius

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    North side of Indy
    I have brewed in the past with less than stellar results. Anybody out there willing to help a wannabee brewer?

I'd be happy to have you over for a brew session. I'll warn you though, you don't need to go to the extremes that I have to make good beer. I can help you make a good brew with a turkey fryer and extract if that's what you have.

Are you anywhere near Noblesville?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Jetta, do you know if you can carry your own brew into Trion or the Dash for side by side testing?

Sort of. Carrying in your own beverages to an establishment is illegal. But, for our meeting purposes we're in a separate area of the building and not drinking homebrew at the bar. If you were to sit in the open and pull out a bottle of your own brew then you'd likely get it slapped out of your hand.

So, if you come to a meeting you could buy a pint and bring it upstairs and compare, that's OK. At our last meeting (@ Trion, our home) we tried our Zombie Dust clones against some provided by Greg from his tap. Personally, I found them all distasteful. They were like this:
    images

Boiler1529

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I currently have a mango ipa in the fermenter and debating on what type of stout/porter to brew next. Possibly a vanilla bourbon one. I usually decide while I'm in the home brew store and make it up as I go.

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    I'd be happy to have you over for a brew session. I'll warn you though, you don't need to go to the extremes that I have to make good beer. I can help you make a good brew with a turkey fryer and extract if that's what you have.

Are you anywhere near Noblesville?

I'm about 35 miles from you. I could make it there after I get the pool hole filled in... Please PM me if you are interested.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What kind of hops are you growing? The ground in noblesville is all clay so drainage sucks here. I think it would be poor for growing hops.

Drainage is poor here too. :(

The first picture is cascades. In the second picture, the wilamettes on the left, the cascades on the right and the goldfish and wisteria in the middle.

Top Bottom