• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I have a problem with what seems to be my computer, not my network. About 10 days ago, I installed Ubuntu on a separate partition so I could dual boot for an online Linux Class. Everything I thought was well. But until yesterday, I didn't turn the computer back on after I saw that both Linux and Windows 7 were working properly. Yesterday, I turned the computer on, told it to boot Windows 7 and found Battlefield 4 was just not loading. So I hit up chrome to try speed test. It was terrible. Then I booted into safe mode, speed test was still terrible. Logged in under a different user, even chrome took 6 minutes to download.

Websites like youtube will come up, just take much longer than normal, I actually have the pause the video so it can buffer. The test on Speedtest.net keeps failing.

But wait there is more. When I boot up with Ubuntu, I get amazing results on speedtest. And everything runs very smoothly and really quick. So I know all the hardware is working great.
    3687161216.png

However, when I use my laptop, everything is running fast.
    3687069688.png

So I am wondering, what could have changed on my Windows 7 Desktop side when I installed Linux, or shortly after? And most importantly, how do I fix it? Anyone have any idea's?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have a problem with what seems to be my computer, not my network. About 10 days ago, I installed Ubuntu on a separate partition so I could dual boot for an online Linux Class. Everything I thought was well. But until yesterday, I didn't turn the computer back on after I saw that both Linux and Windows 7 were working properly. Yesterday, I turned the computer on, told it to boot Windows 7 and found Battlefield 4 was just not loading. So I hit up chrome to try speed test. It was terrible. Then I booted into safe mode, speed test was still terrible. Logged in under a different user, even chrome took 6 minutes to download.

Websites like youtube will come up, just take much longer than normal, I actually have the pause the video so it can buffer. The test on Speedtest.net keeps failing.

But wait there is more. When I boot up with Ubuntu, I get amazing results on speedtest. And everything runs very smoothly and really quick. So I know all the hardware is working great.
    3687161216.png

However, when I use my laptop, everything is running fast.
    3687069688.png

So I am wondering, what could have changed on my Windows 7 Desktop side when I installed Linux, or shortly after? And most importantly, how do I fix it? Anyone have any idea's?

I can't help you with that, but I'm just wondering, where are you getting > 10 Mb/s up? Comcast? Really? I'm totally pissed. I pay >$60 / month for Time Warner and I get 20 Mb/s down, which is okay, but I'm lucky to get 1.5 up. Which really sucks when I need to deploy stuff for work while at home. Takes hours.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Man, this one's got me stumped. I can't think of any reason why a separate ubuntu install should affect your network speeds on the windows partition.

Is it wired or wireless?

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Man, this one's got me stumped. I can't think of any reason why a separate ubuntu install should affect your network speeds on the windows partition.

Is it wired or wireless?

It is wireless. I know, I am completely stumped. I just know my download and upload speeds with windows are down the drain, but when on the same machine, I boot up with Ubuntu, the speeds are like they have always been.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    Open an elevated command prompt.

Type the following, one at a time, hit enter after each:

netsh
    interface
    ipv4
    show interfaces

You should now see something that looks like this:

netsh interface ipv4>show interfaces

Idx Met MTU State Name
    --- ---------- ---------- ------------ ---------------------------
    1 50 4294967295 connected Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1
    10 5 1500 connected Local Area Connection

netsh interface ipv4>show interface

Now type: show interface "Wireless Network Connection" (including quotes... So, it should look like this:

netsh interface ipv4>show interface "Wireless Network Connection"

Hit enter.

Should see something like this:

Interface Local Area Connection Parameters
    ----------------------------------------------
    IfLuid : ethernet_5
    IfIndex : 10
    State : connected
    Metric : 5
    Link MTU : 1500 bytes
    Reachable Time : 42000 ms
    Base Reachable Time : 30000 ms
    Retransmission Interval : 1000 ms
    DAD Transmits : 3
    Site Prefix Length : 64
    Site Id : 1
    Forwarding : disabled
    Advertising : disabled
    Neighbor Discovery : enabled
    Neighbor Unreachability Detection : enabled
    Router Discovery : dhcp
    Managed Address Configuration : enabled
    Other Stateful Configuration : enabled
    Weak Host Sends : disabled
    Weak Host Receives : disabled
    Use Automatic Metric : enabled
    Ignore Default Routes : disabled
    Advertised Router Lifetime : 1800 seconds
    Advertise Default Route : disabled
    Current Hop Limit : 0
    Force ARPND Wake up patterns : disabled
    Directed MAC Wake up patterns : disabled

Post the results here.

Oh, and I assume that you've gone to the website of the Wireless NIC manufacturer and downloaded and installed the latest drivers... RIGHT?

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Open an elevated command prompt.

Type the following, one at a time, hit enter after each:

netsh
    interface
    ipv4
    show interfaces

You should now see something that looks like this:

Idx Met MTU State Name
    10 5 1500 connected Local Area Connection

netsh interface ipv4>show interface

Now type: show interface "Wireless Network Connection" (including quotes... So, it should look like this:

Hit enter.

Should see something like this:

Interface Local Area Connection Parameters
    IfLuid : ethernet_5
    IfIndex : 10
    Metric : 5
    Reachable Time : 42000 ms

Post the results here.

Oh, and I assume that you've gone to the website of the Wireless NIC manufacturer and downloaded and installed the latest drivers... RIGHT?

Yes, I have all the latest drivers

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>netsh
    netsh>interface
    netsh interface>ipv4

Idx Met MTU State Name
    14 40 1500 connected Wireless Network Connection
    13 5 1500 disconnected Local Area Connection
    16 50 1477 disconnected Bluetooth Network Connection

Interface Wireless Network Connection Parameters
    IfLuid : wireless_0
    IfIndex : 14
    Metric : 30
    Reachable Time : 38000 ms

netsh interface ipv4>

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    Does that help?
    Sorta. If nothing else, it eliminates one thing I thought of.

Still not sure what's causing it. Let me think on it a bit.

(I mean, the elephant in the room is that you didn't have this issue until you installed Ubuntu, so the pragmatic type in me says "Uninstall Ubuntu, see if the problem goes away."

Might be that the NIC is thinking that BOTH Operating Systems are running, and there's a preference somewhere that says "Give 75% of my bandwidth to Ubuntu and 20% to Windows", but I don't know...

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    With windows running try restarting your modem / router. remember on the modem/router side there will be 2 seperate data sets for the OS's, that being said they each are "easy setup" kind of OS's, so they send and take what they need. Ubuntu or Windows could be asking or giving the wrong data to cause an issue.

If this changes things, I would try setting SPECIFIC IP's for each your OS's. It could also be reading the OS's awkwardly due to them being on the same HDD. Try a second HDD for complete separation.

Just for sh!ts and giggles, I would run Crap cleaner (ccleaner) in wondows to see if theres something odd getting stuck in the settings.

Ubuntu of years ago had a problem with telling any of its connected devices if it was being shutdown, they had fixed it for a bit, but it may be back. I've been away from Linux far too long.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    With windows running try restarting your modem / router. remember on the modem/router side there will be 2 seperate data sets for the OS's, that being said they each are "easy setup" kind of OS's, so they send and take what they need. Ubuntu or Windows could be asking or giving the wrong data to cause an issue.

If this changes things, I would try setting SPECIFIC IP's for each your OS's. It could also be reading the OS's awkwardly due to them being on the same HDD. Try a second HDD for complete separation.

Just for sh!ts and giggles, I would run Crap cleaner (ccleaner) in wondows to see if theres something odd getting stuck in the settings.

Ubuntu of years ago had a problem with telling any of its connected devices if it was being shutdown, they had fixed it for a bit, but it may be back. I've been away from Linux far too long.

I was thinking the same thing but doing it for troubleshooting purposes. Specify different IPs for both OSs instead of using DHCP. If the problem persists it rules out some stuff.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI

This did not work, it can't even stream youtube with video's at 144p without the video being choppy. Speedtest.net tests still fail as well.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Not going to say what I do for a living but if you have a smart phone or have a buddy that does run a speed test on it connected to your wifi and use the same site (app) that your computer is using. If it is running substantially better then it is either something in the computer or more likely the wifi card since it is doing it on everything. If it is still slow it's the router or an issue with the provider. I have seen them just go out. Get yourself an Ethernet cord that is long enough to get from the router to the computer, lowes and Home Depot sell them cheap. Connect it to the computer and run a speed test, if it runs fast all the sudden then get yourself a new wifi card. I have 12 meg service and it's hard wired to my xbox one and I have zero issues ZERO.

99% of the slow internet speed trouble tickets is the customers computer or router.... That's why it is wise to test on another device.

Keep it simple.... Check the easy stuff first because the majority of the time it's a simple fix. Oh and do yourself a favor... Run a hard wire to the. Computer... Wifi speeds fluctuate a bit... Hard wire tends to stay fairly solid.

I dont don't know why people pay so much attention to speeds, I hard wired my brothers xbox 360 and he has 3 m and it rarely gives him issues. But then I'm not saying what I do for a living... Let's just say I know how to squeeze meg out.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Not going to say what I do for a living but if you have a smart phone or have a buddy that does run a speed test on it connected to your wifi and use the same site (app) that your computer is using. If it is running substantially better then it is either something in the computer or more likely the wifi card since it is doing it on everything. If it is still slow it's the router or an issue with the provider. I have seen them just go out. Get yourself an Ethernet cord that is long enough to get from the router to the computer, lowes and Home Depot sell them cheap. Connect it to the computer and run a speed test, if it runs fast all the sudden then get yourself a new wifi card. I have 12 meg service and it's hard wired to my xbox one and I have zero issues ZERO.

99% of the slow internet speed trouble tickets is the customers computer or router.... That's why it is wise to test on another device.

Keep it simple.... Check the easy stuff first because the majority of the time it's a simple fix. Oh and do yourself a favor... Run a hard wire to the. Computer... Wifi speeds fluctuate a bit... Hard wire tends to stay fairly solid.

I dont don't know why people pay so much attention to speeds, I hard wired my brothers xbox 360 and he has 3 m and it rarely gives him issues. But then I'm not saying what I do for a living... Let's just say I know how to squeeze meg out.

The hardware is fine, I have both Linux and Windows 7 on the same machine, Linux gives me blazing fast internet, Windows on the same machine is so slow it is terrible.

Top Bottom