• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    Bunch of kids around here! Got my license in 1973 in the same town I'm in now. 1968 Ford LTD 2dr 390 engine. The next year I moved up to a 71 Chevelle SS with a 402 big block.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Going to HS and cruising the streets of Dayton, OH in this fine symbol of 70's technology. Was a 4-speed on the floor with a Radio Shack 8-track tape player. Worked evenings and weekends for a realtor, remodeling apartments in the UD ghetto.

6.jpg

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Bunch of old farts!
    didnt get my license until 1978, went to e Chevy dealership to drool on the silver anniversary edition Corvette. That's ALL I could do!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Going to HS and cruising the streets of Dayton, OH in this fine symbol of 70's technology. Was a 4-speed on the floor with a Radio Shack 8-track tape player. Worked evenings and weekends for a realtor, remodeling apartments in the UD ghetto.

6.jpg

The white walls work on the Pinto.

I'm on a forum with GEEZERS! Got my DL in 1981. Went to the license branch in Mitchell because the one in Salem was horrible even by BMV standards.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Only memories of '76 was being dressed up in a red, white, and blue Colonial outfit for the Bicentennial Celebration at Ft.Davis Canal Zone. I was almost 5.

Flyingbrian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Plainfield
    I wa only 10 years old in 1976 spent all my time playing on a dirt mound behind the house. 40 years later I live just around the corner from that house

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    My main memory from 76 was attending the Clarksville high school summer football camp, and of course, the big bicentennial celebration that year. Didn't get my DL until 81, when I paid $300 for a sweet 68 Chevy pickup, dang I wish I still had that truck!

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Lot of guys talking about 1976. I thought he meant when and where you got YOUR license.....His was '76 in Vegas. Mine was '03 in Martinsville. 1986 Chevy Caprice was my first car. It was a medium sized barge.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Didn't get my DL until 81, when I paid $300 for a sweet 68 Chevy pickup, dang I wish I still had that truck!

I think I remember that truck...I had that 1972 orange two tone Chevy pickup and I think I remember seeing yours when you got it...I think we were about the only guys (at CHS) that had vintage Chevy trucks at that time.....

350 Four Barrel.....I miss mine too!!!!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    All I'll say is that I got my license in the 90s. Failed the driving portion of the test because I couldn't parallel park.... I've lived in ALABAMA nobody does that!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I think I remember that truck...I had that 1972 orange two tone Chevy pickup and I think I remember seeing yours when you got it...I think we were about the only guys (at CHS) that had vintage Chevy trucks at that time.....

350 Four Barrel.....I miss mine too!!!!
    Mine was robins egg blue, with a 283 3 speed on the tree, didn't take long to switch it over to a Hurst floor shifter. I remember the one you had, I think you had it longer than I had mine, I sold it to buy a 77 F250, wish I still had that, too.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I got a learner's permit when I was 15 1/2 (I think that was the law then) and took the driver's ed course at Brown County High School - that was probably the fall semester of 1975. Daily Hill, RIP, was the course instructor and that was a hoot. He was a terrific guy, very nice man, and definitely marched to a different drummer than the rest of us. The driver's ed car was a HUGE Impala and we'd take that thing down 135 south towards Stone Head, which was not the widest road in the world -- scared the crap out us the first couple times. I did well in class, especially when Mr. Hill asked me to write the questions for the final exam. :D I turned 16 during that semester, and I am pretty sure I go my license as soon as humanly possible after the course, so that would be January 1976.

Mom had a 1969 Chevelle, only about 25,000 miles on it, she hated driving and didn't get her license until she was about 44 or 45. I was really looking forward to driving that. Very soon after I got my license, mom mentioned that dad was taking her to town to look a trading in the Chevelle on a new car. "What!? What kind?" Mom, who knew nothing about cars and cared even less, said, "I don't know, I think it's called a Corvette."

WHOA! A CORVETTE! YESSSSSS1!......wait a minute. These are my parents. They are in their mid 50s, grew up in the Depression, worked their butts off all their lives. Sensible people in other words, not "CORVETTE!" people. And Mom doesn't know beans about cars.

"Mom, did Dad say 'CORvette' or did he say 'CHEvette?'" Mom says: "Corvette, Chevette, what's the difference?" :ugh:

So we got one of very first Chevettes, a 1976 model year. This was Chevy's first attempt at building an econobox and of course they made a hash of it. 1.4 liter engine powered by a starved squirrel, and since Mom hated driving and everything about cars, an automatic transmission. The acceleration was so anemic it was almost into negative numbers. Gah. The only upside was Mom hated driving and so sent me everywhere to do errands is she could and had me drive her around.

There's a picture of it in the BCHS yearbook for 1978 (I think) with 25 girls crammed into it. If you look close the tires are flat. Stuffing the Chevette was the only time it ever attracted girls.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    1972 Drivers license driving my parents 63 Chevy Impala
    Southport High School
    Working at a full service gas station - Checking oil & cleaning windshields
    Skirts were short back then
    View attachment 45909

I worked in gas stations too when I was a teen, working in Las Vegas on the main highway to Lake Mead in the summertime. It was good times :)

Top Bottom