jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    That's a decent deal then (including shipping) :yesway:

Do we have pricing yet for additional accessories?

I'd be down for another radio and extra battery :yesway:

The extra accessories are more likely going to be the price they are on his website minus a dollar or two since it will come in one big box (combined shipping) but like I said the vendor has not yet replied.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Trying to suss out meaningful info on eBay is impossible. Can someone give a point for point explanation of the technical differences between the Baofeng UV-5RA+ and Baofeng UV-B5? The -B6 and -5RA+ both have a lame white LED, the -B5 replaces the LED with a fine-tune knob. The -5RA+ is advertized as going to 480 MHz. The -B5 is advertized as going to 470 MHz. Other than that, I have no idea.

I would assume the firmwares are incompatible, assuming you could get a working firmware image and had the software/hardware to reflash these things. I would also assume their mic/phone jacks are intercompatible with the same mics and earpieces.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    CIB you can NOT upgrade the firmware on the radios even if you have the firmware files. The only way to upgrade the firmware is by it being done at the factory in China. You could do that but the cost of shipping and getting back your same radio make it so not worth it as oppose to buying another radio with the upgraded firmware.

As for all the various model I'll have to get back to you on it cause it's a very long list and it's 'lunch time'.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :orly:

Writing new firmware for a handheld radio

Granted, it's for the UV-3R, not the UV-5R, but it's still a very promising start.

:facepalm:
    Let me re-phrase that statement.
    Yes in software/hardware ANYTHING is possible. However the cost in terms of labor, parts, process is not worth it for these radios. When you update the firmware in say a linksys home router the process is very simple. Download the firmware file, go to the device via the browser, click on update firmware, and it doe sit.

Sadly that process is not available for these radios via it's customer programmable software. As such you have to go that route in your link which is NOT for the faint of heart. As a computer engineer I am comfortable going that route (reading on it and doing it) but it's just not worth it for the $50 this unit cost.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I'd be interested....when or is there even a time frame for this to happen?

trying to get confirmation from vendor in Hong Kong on the bulk rate discount before I open up an offical group buy thread.

Trying to get these ordered within 2 to 3 weeks of the gorup buy thread open so trying this to be my APR project. :)

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I am interested in one

But is this the same thing?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/BAOFENG-UV-5RE-Watch-Two-Way-Function/dp/B009DBEVRK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365291365&sr=8-1&keywords=baofeng+uv-5re]Amazon.com: BAOFENG UV-5RE UHF+VHF Dual Band/Dual Watch Two-Way Radio FM Function: Car Electronics[/ame]

Radio Included
    Charger Included
    Antenna Included
    Earpiece Included
    Battery Included

I have Amazon prime, if this is the same thing, then I can have this here in 2 days for free, or 1 day for 3.99. Seems like the extra 4 dollars is worth it.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I am interested in one

But is this the same thing?

Amazon.com: BAOFENG UV-5RE UHF+VHF Dual Band/Dual Watch Two-Way Radio FM Function: Car Electronics

Radio Included
    Charger Included
    Antenna Included
    Earpiece Included
    Battery Included

I have Amazon prime, if this is the same thing, then I can have this here in 2 days for free, or 1 day for 3.99. Seems like the extra 4 dollars is worth it.

Close what that is missing is the USB Programmable Cable + Software
    [*]

The vendor from Hong Kong sells both the radio (with all that stuff) + the cable [correct version for the radio you get] for less then what Amazon has the radio listed.

There are 2 items of software we need.
    - usb driver
    - software to program the radio

Both of these can be found online for free. by getting them on a CD from the vendor you/we ensure we have the right driver and correct sofftware for the firmware that is on the radio.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I am trying to get this from the vendor in Hong Kong

Package contents:
    - 1 x UV-5RE Plus (VHF 136-174, UHF 400-480Mhz)
    - 1 x 7.4V 1800mah Battery Pack
    - 1 x Dual Band Antenna
    - 1 x Belt Clip
    - 1 x English Manual
    - 1 x Desktop Charger ( 100V ~ 240V ) with correct plug for your country
    - 1 x FREE PTT earpiece with mic
    - 1 x USB program cable and software CD

or

Package contents:
    - 1 x UV-5RA+ Plus (VHF 136-174, UHF 400-480Mhz)
    - 1 x 7.4V 1800mah Battery Pack
    - 1 x Dual Band Antenna
    - 1 x Belt Clip
    - 1 x English Manual
    - 1 x Desktop Charger ( 100V ~ 240V ) with correct plug for your country
    - 1 x FREE PTT earpiece with mic
    - 1 x USB program cable and software CD

5RA+ is the latest version of the radio. The shell design is slightly different than the 5RE+ version (location of where the screws are, and speaker holds). Either one will work for beginner radios and the firmware update to the 5RA+ is just minor more for those that want to use the radio on the 'non USA feqs.' You can do that on the 5RE+ as well with a few more tweeks. The 5RA+ has a slightly bigger bandwidth range than the 5RE+ but both of those ranges are illegal for HAM radios to use in the USA anyways.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In earnest, what's the story with some of these Baofeng radioes going out to 520 MHz, and others just 480 MHz? There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, and yeah, in a SHTF scenario, I'd really rather have the extra 40 MHz of bandwidth to play with, so if I have two otherwise identical deals, one to 520, one to only 480 (or 470), I'll prefer to the 520 kit.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    In earnest, what's the story with some of these Baofeng radioes going out to 520 MHz, and others just 480 MHz? There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, and yeah, in a SHTF scenario, I'd really rather have the extra 40 MHz of bandwidth to play with, so if I have two otherwise identical deals, one to 520, one to only 480 (or 470), I'll prefer to the 520 kit.

--in a sexist voice--
    China baby... China baby!
    ---
    :D

You need to understand that the China factory that makes these markets them to the world not just the USA so they don't care about the FCC laws. They make the radios work on whatever feq. they can. Unlike the name brands that respect the FCC rules. Which is in part why these radios are just a :wow: factor here in the USA. Cause you have people seeing their added potential in a SHTF and also the price tag. :)

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    --in a sexist voice--
    China baby... China baby!
    ---
    :D

You need to understand that the China factory that makes these markets them to the world not just the USA so they don't care about the FCC laws. They make the radios work on whatever feq. they can. Unlike the name brands that respect the FCC rules. Which is in part why these radios are just a :wow: factor here in the USA. Cause you have people seeing their added potential in a SHTF and also the price tag. :)
    *hits the rewind button on the thread*
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...r_group_buy_baofeng_uv_5re-4.html#post4062820

Yeah. I understand that. The issue I'm trying to clear up is why some sources of radio X advertize only to 480/470 MHz, while others advertize the exact same radio X going to 520 MHz.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    *hits the rewind button on the thread*
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...r_group_buy_baofeng_uv_5re-4.html#post4062820

Yeah. I understand that. The issue I'm trying to clear up is why some sources of radio X advertize only to 480/470 MHz, while others advertize the exact same radio X going to 520 MHz.

Cause the Chinese in their infinite wisdom made some radios, for example UV-R5E to go to 520 Mhz right off the bat with firmware version XYZ and then that same model UV-R5E go only to 480 Mhz off the bat with firmware version ABC. :n00b: Sadly the only way to know what the capability of the radio is, is to see what firmware version is comes with by turning it on.

From the Yahoo Group UV-R5 website we have this:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/baofeng_uv5r/message/19171
    Older radios came from the factory with the range of 136-174 MHz and 400-480MHz. The latest shipping units have the UHF range expanded to cover 400-520 MHz. Both the Baofeng VIP and CHIRP software allow you to set the older units to the same range.
    So at this point it does not matter which version we get since via the software you CAN increase the freq. range. :) Just a matter of knowing what you are doing.

So the 5E or 5A+ is just a matter of cosmetic variations and minor firmware tweeks.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    And here is more news for you CIB
    Brick O'Lore: UV-5R

"We receive many emails asking if we have different UV-5 models. We were also asked if we have the New 2013 latest UV-5 Baofeng has taken the standard UV-5R and packaged it on many different cases. ALL of these new model numbers are the SAME RADIO, no different from one to another but just a different name. There are no 2013 models unless you have a time machine, They talk about extended freq coverage, that change is made in the new software they released, not in the radio. So, pick the case design you like and go with that, your getting the same radio. Hong Kong and Chinese sellers like to confuse you and make you think your getting something different but your not. Better buy from a US Seller that will back the warranty in the USA."

Top Bottom