• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I apparently failed to be sufficiently specific. It is a truck thing. We are taxed on income like everyone else. We are taxed on plates which is far more expensive than everyone else. We are taxed on fuel in a different way than everyone else, which requires more work on our parts. We are taxed per mile for every mile apportioned by state in which the mile was driven. There is nothing indirect about this, and it has nothing to do with state income tax--it is a per mile road use tax.

Watch out. It appears that they are preparing to be able to do this to everyone at any time that they may decide to do so.

No I understand. The reason you have to track mileage by state is for state taxes.

You wouldn't need to do that for a Federal Tax. Especially since state road budgets are not connected to state taxes collected. All the money goes in the Treasury, they print what they don't have, and then all the money goes out of the Treasury. None of it stays where it was collected.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I am with the "Tin-foil hat crowd"on this one...in the event of real civil unrest,travel must be restricted.Many things that are flying under the radar of the typical American are being put in place for use in a time to come....Call it far fetched if you will,but I am not in the mood to assume that my "elected officials" have my best interests in mind...

I don't like the idea of the government assuming the role of big brother who can watch me at every time. The technology is there, and although it wasn't designed to be used to spy on us, it makes it very easy for them if we don't draw the line to prevent it. For example, we have smartphones, many of which transmit location information, although they also provide the option to turn off transmission of location information.

lolz...
    Who cares about the details, or accuracy? The point is that if they want to tax your mileage, they have the means, and likely the will to do so.

I am kinda glad I'm gettin old. I am so weary of constantly being spied upon for "good" reasons.

Next month, the Ministry of Traffic Safety will be dictating that every vehicle be equipped with a "black box" to record your every movement, feed information to the Federal government, and be used against you in court.

Automotive Black Boxes, Minus the Gray Area

Seriously, When did critical reading cease to be a well practiced skill? I work with 5th graders to practice this. Read the article (a year old mind you) and tell me where in the article it states the "black box" records movement, transmits data or is available to the federal government.

:whistle:

Are you back? Did you find it?

What is stated is a NHTSA mandate for data recorders for pre-crash data. The article goes on to state that this could be used in a court of law. Now how many traffic incidents are prosecuted at the federal level?

Perhaps there's some other sources that might justify this paranoia?

Full disclosure: I have worked on this technology (and have a working knowledge on On Star, which is not the same thing). It's similar to the black boxes in airplanes. It records to internal memory a loop of parameters. When a crash occurs, determined by sensors (accelerometers and others) that a crash occurs, the data is frozen for later analysis.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    OnStar is not mandated by the Federal Government, right? I won't buy a car that forces me to be tracked. The free market lets people buy the gadgets they want. This is no longer true when things are being mandated.

What happens when they demand that you install it on your classic car if you want to get plates? Will you start to care then?

Can't?? The Feds "can't" do a lot of things. But every day it is something new.

Just because they haven't yet doesn't mean that they won't or can't.

Pre-1996 would be a very difficult retro-fit. But I'm guessing you aren't taking into account the physical possibility of the issue. Not much of a gear head, huh? :):

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Pre-1996 would be a very difficult retro-fit. But I'm guessing you aren't taking into account the physical possibility of the issue. Not much of a gear head, huh? :):
    As if the government cares? They'd just as soon tell you that you aren't allowed to drive that car. That's how it works with emissions testing in my county. Meet their standards or you don't get plates.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    It is really easy to hook up a small GPS transmitter to a car's battery.

Heck, you can do that to your own car "in case it is stolen" wink wink.

Everyone knows it's there to spy on your children.

No mods to the car required.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Progressive Snapshot.

Another nifty device.

Will Progressive share my information?
    We won't share Snapshot information unless it's required to service your insurance policy, prevent fraud, perform research or comply with the law. We also won't use Snapshot information to resolve a claim unless you or the registered vehicle owner permits us to do so.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    My Brother has been decoding and testifying on the contents of Black boxes for years. I am talking about the ones already on your vehicles and boats. It will be easy as hell to add features. Talk to any SW Engineer who has been working on them for the past 30 years and he will tell you that. FYI My Bro is an ME he only does it when he has too due to possible legal liability for the Corp.

If your wreck is serious enough, it is pretty much hard to lie about it and that is before they hit your cell phone data.

Unplug people, unplug.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    As if the government cares? They'd just as soon tell you that you aren't allowed to drive that car. That's how it works with emissions testing in my county. Meet their standards or you don't get plates.

You can make any car compatible with emissions requirements by bolting on the right hardware. You can't suddenly make an analog vehicle digital (it's an analogy) by connecting it to a Speak-n-Spell and a record player with some wires and alligator clips just because you want to.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    You can make any car compatible with emissions requirements by bolting on the right hardware. You can't suddenly make an analog vehicle digital (it's an analogy) by connecting it to a Speak-n-Spell and a record player with some wires and alligator clips just because you want to.

All a GPS needs is a power source. :dunno:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

But, we are not talking about a GPS (a cellular modem) - we are talking about data logging. Again, read the article, not Rombone's propaganda. That requires quite a bit of sensors attached to various elements in the vehicle (throttle position, wheel speed, etc.) It's not an easy task to retrofit a vehicle.

were losing our rights in little pieces all the time

Welcome to INGO, I'm sure you'll hit 50 post in no time. However, your terse argument is somewhat specious. There's a plethora of things I can't do to my automobile - use blue headlamps, remove the catalytic converter, etc. I'd hardly call having an event recorder that can be recovered in the event of a collision a loss of a "right" - enumerated or not. My reasoning? You're on a public road and the data recorded is but a more sophisticated and accurate version of a bystander's testimony.

Begin :twocents:

The irony of you statement is that we (as a society) are more willing to be "tracked" than ever. My wife and I can't go to a restaurant without her telling the whole world where we are!

But don't misunderstand me - there's a big difference between [STRIKE]idiots[/STRIKE] citizens willingly sharing information and governments demanding it. We must constantly remain vigilant, but with thinking caps and not tin foil. Rambone's cry of wolf don't help.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    But, we are not talking about a GPS (a cellular modem) - we are talking about data logging. Again, read the article, not Rombone's propaganda. That requires quite a bit of sensors attached to various elements in the vehicle (throttle position, wheel speed, etc.) It's not an easy task to retrofit a vehicle.

This. If you haven't taken apart a car's engine, I don't think you fully appreciate the complexity of the task. (You is general, not you personally JK.)

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Sure having thing like TPS, VSS, PPS, etc will help in adjudicating blame during a crash, but so would something as simple as GPS, which will give you all the data you need to construct a physical representation of what happened, including accelerations and velocities.

The only thing you wouldn't have is driver input, which can be inferred from the GPS information.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Sure having thing like TPS, VSS, PPS, etc will help in adjudicating blame during a crash, but so would something as simple as GPS, which will give you all the data you need to construct a physical representation of what happened, including accelerations and velocities.

The only thing you wouldn't have is driver input, which can be inferred from the GPS information.

Without going into the gory details, "GPS, and associated algorithms are not a suitable replacement, in my professional opinion." Typically, the data output from an off the shelf GPA module commonly employed is about a second. Now a gyroscope / accelerometer is another story...

But this is diverging from the story. The issue many have isn't with GPS per se, it's with the attached cellular modem calling "big brother" to report in.

Top Bottom