• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Wow. Just..... wow. I'll go back to that other part of the forums with less physical activity. There's too much jumping to conclusions, running from the boogymonster and hopping up and down mad about something that hasn't even happened. I'm too lazy for that.

For the record, almost all new cars in the last 5-10 years have the "evil black box". The PCM and BCM already record the last "X" driving cycles to monitor system functions and to check for deteriorating conditions that point to faulty sensors or hard parts. Now back to your normally scheduled paranoia and tinfoil hat party.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I know it's cool to post pics of tin foil hats, but the trend is to gather data about travel for multiple reasons. Your federal government is also spending 100s of millions currently investigating the viability of a per mile tax. It would be pretty simple to combine these two technologies. Under the plan you couldn't get gasoline unless your car is equipped with a tax meter. It will be manufactures installing these devices to drive market saturation.

http://www.frumforum.com/plan-would-tax-cars-by-the-mile

I love the pretentious name of legislation now days - “Transportation Opportunities Act” creates the "Surface Transportation Revenue Alternatives Office".

Last edited:

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    I know it's cool to post pics of tin foil hats, but the trend is to gather data about travel for multiple reasons. Your federal government is also spending 100s of millions currently investigating the viability of a per mile tax. It would be pretty simple to combine these two technologies. Under the plan you couldn't get gasoline unless your car is equipped with a tax meter.

http://www.frumforum.com/plan-would-tax-cars-by-the-mile

I love the pretentious name of legislation now days - “Transportation Opportunities Act” creates the "Surface Transportation Revenue Alternatives Office".
    won't happen, it would create to much of an uproar from the voting public. more and more people are starting to want a "fair tax" system, my guess is we'll eventually move that direction.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    won't happen, it would create to much of an uproar from the voting public. more and more people are starting to want a "fair tax" system, my guess is we'll eventually move that direction.

Nah. You just have to learn how to make it politically appealing. Throw out some farming exemption, some logistics/shipping exemptions, get some of the largest users of fuel (UPS, FEDEX, airlines) on board with some subsidies, boom, the sausage is made. Of course the CBO study will find a way to pass it off as cheaper for the average Joe....

Additionally, its important to remember that we all suffer from the echo chamber. There is an anti-INGO out there calling for higher taxes and more intervention. I wouldn't say it would cause too much of an uproar if it is couched correctly. I betcha there are few staffers that could come up with a tough on terrorism spin to the idea.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    From the article:

Update 5:30 p.m. May 24: An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration will require that all new vehicles have an event data recorder. The agency is at this point only considering such a requirement.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    um...................there is an uproar over obama care, and a Florida court has already deemed it unconstitutional.

I know, I'm saying that even with a large amount of uproar, they still do what they want. So public uproar is clearly not keeping the Feds in line.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Are you all aware the current administration has proposed that a "black box" or GPS device be put into the vehicles and the reason they are offering is to tax you on miles driven?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Are you all aware the current administration has proposed that a "black box" or GPS device be put into the vehicles and the reason they are offering is to tax you on miles driven?

Naw man, its not about money. Its about keeping me safe and forensically studying my car accidents. :laugh:

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010

I was just getting ready to post about the "vehicle miles traveled" tax that the Obama administration is considering proposing in the Transportation re-authorization bill.

No conspiracy theories or tin-foil hats are involved, it's been openly discussed by members of Congress & reported on by lame-stream media outlets like the NYTimes.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Proposed standard would go into effect in 2014

U.S. DOT Proposes Broader Use of Event Data Recorders to Help Improve Vehicle Safety | NHTSA
    WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) today proposed a new standard that would capture valuable safety-related data in the seconds before and during a motor vehicle crash. The proposed rule would require automakers to install event data recorders (EDRs) — devices that collect specific safety-related data — in all light passenger vehicles beginning September 1, 2014.
    Black boxes in cars raise privacy concerns
    There's no opt-out. It's extremely difficult for car owners to disable the recorders. Although some vehicle models have had recorders since the early 1990s, a federal requirement that automakers disclose their existence in owner's manuals didn't go into effect until three months ago. Automakers that voluntarily put recorders in vehicles are also now required to gather a minimum of 15 types of data.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Will the black boxes lock you in the car and drive you to the Gov't slave camps too?

Any OnStar-equipped GM vehicle can be located and shut down remotely at a time and location convenient to the police. Really nice in the case of theft, really sucks in the case of .gov overreach.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

What is wrong with this? They have been doing it with trucks for decades (albeit without the GPS trackers) but they can run your books close enough to tell if you are been reasonably honest in reporting your miles.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    They don't have to track you real time.

All they need to do is make you subject to yearly inspections and download all your data then. Actually they don't even need a fancy data recorder to tax you by the mile. Your car already records miles.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Top Bottom