• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    TJ and I had a great time in spite of the cold.

Now we have a problem...

My son left one of my guns at the range. I still can't believe that happened. He was using one of my .22s and just left it there, or maybe stuck it in someone's shooting bag.

We returned to the range last night once we discovered the gun was gone, and it wasn't there.

This is really embarrassing. I should have made sure he had the gun when we left, but it's hard to think for two.

I think my son's FNS days are over for at least a year.

So if anyone has any ideas as to the wherabouts of my 22, please let me know. It might look kind of junky but that gun has a lot of sentimental value to me.

Hey Matt, kids will be kids, I attached Austin like a hawk,,, anyway,,, TJ can use Austin's MKIII.

Larry

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Hey Matt, kids will be kids, I attached Austin like a hawk,,, anyway,,, TJ can use Austin's MKIII.
    Larry

Thanks for the offer.

I just got a PM - Anton has the gun.

Sorry to all to hijack the thread.

Now to figure out what to do on the home front...

I already told TJ that he was done with FNS until he proved that he was mature enough to keep track of his firearm. I also grounded him from video games for a week and from shooting for a month.

Now that I think about it, this is punishing me as much as it is him. I enjoy shooting with my son. And now we won't be able to do the Steel match at Atlanta together and will not be able to shoot together at the first USPSA match of the year at South Central.

I'm getting depressed just thinking about that.

But I can't go back on my punishment or I'll look wishy-washy....

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Well, i did pretty decent. My bad times were from when my Kel Tec misfired and it's a PIA to clear bad rounds I need to work on it some to at least make it more reliable on clearing misfires. Also need to look around for some more reliable ammo to use in it! Just did a little math, and assuming I'd have had equal times on the jam-induced bad times, I'd have come in second! Oh well, looks like more testing is on the horizon! Shucks!

Doug K

PS did anyone else see those bad-assed times on stage one? I"m still beaming about that one!!

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Thanks for the offer.

Now that I think about it, this is punishing me as much as it is him. I enjoy shooting with my son.

As a dad I can understand all that. Leason learned now could be much more valuable as he gets later in life though.
    :yesway:

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    As a dad I can understand all that. Leason learned now could be much more valuable as he gets later in life though.
    :yesway:

Yeah, you're right. I'm sticking with the punishment.

And back on topic: FNS
    I was reminded of the importance of case gauging reloads on stage 1... lost about 7-seconds there clearing the gun.

Tried an M&P on stage 3... and I shot sooo low with it. I'm just too used to Glocks. It was a really sweet gun, just very different.

I've abandoned the idea of buying an M&P. If I get good with an M&P, I won't be able to shoot my Glocks, and vice-versa. Both are good guns though.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Lost/Found .22

Thanks for the offer.

I just got a PM - Anton has the gun.

Sorry to all to hijack the thread.

Now to figure out what to do on the home front...

I already told TJ that he was done with FNS until he proved that he was mature enough to keep track of his firearm. I also grounded him from video games for a week and from shooting for a month.

Now that I think about it, this is punishing me as much as it is him. I enjoy shooting with my son. And now we won't be able to do the Steel match at Atlanta together and will not be able to shoot together at the first USPSA match of the year at South Central.

It's your firearm; you also bear some responsibility for leaving the range unaware of its whereabouts... Perhaps if you make that point w/your son, you can lessen the punishment and enjoy more of the upcoming events together. I doubt the "lesson value" would be reduced--perhaps even enhanced :)

EDIT: Glad you got it back--I can't imagine anyone making off w/another's misplaced firearm around MCF&G. Damn good bunch of people around there.

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    sorry to hear that Matt... how's TJ taking it? Maybe work on just having him use one gun at a time so he's only got the one to deal with until he gets another year under his belt.

Glad you got it back though, such a great group of shooters we have there. Planning on starting JM out with .22 in a couple of months.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Well, i did pretty decent. My bad times were from when my Kel Tec misfired and it's a PIA to clear bad rounds I need to work on it some to at least make it more reliable on clearing misfires. Also need to look around for some more reliable ammo to use in it! Just did a little math, and assuming I'd have had equal times on the jam-induced bad times, I'd have come in second! Oh well, looks like more testing is on the horizon! Shucks!

Doug K

PS did anyone else see those bad-assed times on stage one? I"m still beaming about that one!!
    I was there, I am a witness, I saw it. Not sure Burl did, he walked off...............again.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    sorry to hear that Matt... how's TJ taking it? Maybe work on just having him use one gun at a time so he's only got the one to deal with until he gets another year under his belt.

Glad you got it back though, such a great group of shooters we have there. Planning on starting JM out with .22 in a couple of months.

TJ is mainly concerned with how his (and partially my) mistake implicates him. He really had no concern at all for my loss when we thought the gun was gone for good. And he has no understanding of the gravity of his mistake - I mean, misplacing a handgun is really serious. He's treating the event like he forgot his coat or something like that.

But I'm trying to keep in mind that TJ is autistic. He is not one of those kids that learns slow and is diagnosed as autistic for the convenience of the school - he really is autistic and is developmentally delayed. He is three grade levels behind and has the reading level and emotional age of a 9-year old. He goes to private school because he just couldn't cut it at public school.

I'm trying to keep this in mind as I consider his mistake, but the more I think about it, the more I think that I should have been the one policing the gun in between stages.

Clearly, I acted irresponsibly in allowing him to forget the gun.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    yeah, that's partly why I asked since I remembered us talking about that. I think if you keep the punishment short term and help him understand the error, you'll be fine getting him (and you) back in the saddle again.

The time you spend together at this age is not replaceable, so keep that in mind and keep on shooting. ;)

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Doug K

Hellz yea, I saw it and am with ya there. I actually won that one in Production with my G23 carry gun :rockwoot:

Of course, it took me shooting all of the other stages first to figure out where it was hitting :D

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Hellz yea, I saw it and am with ya there. I actually won that one in Production with my G23 carry gun :rockwoot:

My time on stage 1 is awful. I guess I grabbed a box of reloads that I didn't case gauge, because one of the rounds was oversize and locked up my G-34 hard. I learned several lessons at this FNS...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A big thanks to lovemywoods for making my rifle run like it should!

Along the same lines, I'll be calling my pals at Spikes Tactical on Monday. We'll be discussing how much money I spent with them last year and what they're gonna do about my second broken extractor.:xmad:

acetylcholine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    I'm glad that gun is going to end up with its owner. My squad found it, right behind stage 2 after everyone cleared the targets. I actually thought it was one of my squad guy's guns, so i tried to chase him down.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I saw it, didn't you hear me cheering him on?
    Of course I did! Just testing your memory, it is one of the first things to go and I don't want you just walking off one night and we lose you.............because then I may be the oldest guy at FNS and I am not ready to be a Grandfather.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I had a great time as usual
    I really need to get a big shiny front site . I cant see mine worth a damn at night
    It really sucks being old

I'm only 33 years old and I can't see the front sight worth a damn under the lights at night. I don't see how the better shooters there (Chuck B, Matt R., among others) do it.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I'm only 33 years old and I can't see the front sight worth a damn under the lights at night. I don't see how the better shooters there (Chuck B, Matt R., among others) do it.

I agree
    I hate the plate rack all the time and I had a malfunction that got me a 30.
    But I really can't see my site on the last stage , glad I'm not alone:)

Top Bottom