• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    FCC Commissioner Michael Copps said in an interview with BBC that he thinks that news broadcasters should have to pass a "public values test" in order to spread news on the airwaves. Otherwise the FCC would revoke their "broadcast license."

"Public values" ... I've debated with people on here who believe "public values" should trump property rights. Maybe they would like to chime in regarding regulating the news.

FCC push to regulate news draws fire

YouTube - FCC Commissioner: Media Has "Bad Case Of Substance Abuse"

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Yeah Government!!! Now we can have anti-gun content on this site to counter all of the hateful pro 2A speech I see all the time...

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    I have a strange reaction to stories like this. I don't get mad, I don't start screaming at the computer. I navigate to a website that has the best deals on whatever caliber ammo pops in my head and I buy more.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    FCC Commissioner Michael Copps said in an interview with BBC that he thinks that news broadcasters should have to pass a "public values test" in order to spread news on the airwaves. Otherwise the FCC would revoke their "broadcast license."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzkATxFhcBY

Note the bold words.
    The airwaves are still owned by the public.
    The broadcasters have a rulebook to follow if they want to use them.
    That's the only way children's programming gets on the air.

Note:
    Cable news operations are not "broadcasters"

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I actually hope they try this. It'd shake the statists out of the bushes for all to see, and perhaps the Court needs to put the final slam on this silliness.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    While he may have the title of "commisioner" he's just another bureaucratic talking head. That's one of the most stupid comments I've ever heard. Something to monitor though.

williamrights

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Here is the problem exactly whose values do we use. If we go with the majority then it is right of center but statistically those that gravitate toward government jobs are left of center. People who can and do for themselves find it more profitable in the free market. People who cannot make it on their own go to government work where they no they cannot be removed.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Here is the problem exactly whose values do we use. If we go with the majority then it is right of center but statistically those that gravitate toward government jobs are left of center. People who can and do for themselves find it more profitable in the free market. People who cannot make it on their own go to government work where they no they cannot be removed.

That's a pretty broad brush you have there.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis

"Public values" ... I've debated with people on here who believe "public values" should trump property rights. Maybe they would like to chime in regarding regulating the news.

FCC push to regulate news draws fire

YouTube - FCC Commissioner: Media Has "Bad Case Of Substance Abuse"

if driving is a privilege,,,and if flying is a privilege,,,you can darn sure bet that using a certain broadcast frequency that the government has reserved for only your use is also a privilege...

as they tell us,,,privileges have obligations and guidelines...

once you let the idea of --privileges-- take hold,,,youve really screwed any idea of freedom...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Public values...that would really need to have a clear and definitive explanation to it. Public values stream the entire spectrum, including moral and immoral, depending on whose defininition is being used. Once a clear and concise definition is created, then it is no a public value, but a compartmentalized value.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Come on guys, our government has all of those czars in it, we need a few commissars like this guy.

williamrights

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I am not talking about the military I am talking about beuracrats (sp). I am fully supportive about the military. I am talking about the lowly government dignitaries that hold you the little person in contempt. They know they have the power. You want a permit you want a license haha you have to go through me there is no competition. I am talking of government buildings where the employees have parking spots up front where in the private sector employees park all the way out in the boonies. The military has historically and hopefully always will be more conservative.

Top Bottom