• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Don't worry, the good cops in Denver will turn in the bad cop, just like in Bisard's case.

I mean no cops wants to risk their career over covering for a rogue cop so no cop will hold a meeting about public relations and have an investigation torpedoed to cover for anyone. Don't you worry none.:):

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    i keep hearing the one bad apple thing but lets be honest police corruption is at pandemic proportions. sure theres still some good ones out there but the bad ones are multiplying at the speed of light.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Again, to emphasize: There are bad cops who do bad things. These are rare. There are also bad cops who cover for and enable bad cops to do bad things. I wish I could find evidence that these are rare. I'll believe it when I start hearing stories about these incidents being revealed because other cops turned the bad cops in. Instead, the stories tend to show that what the bad cop did, and what all his buddies swore to, is countered by the video evidence.

I understand irritation and anger the police may have at being criticized. Instead of turning it back at the people criticizing, how about ruthlessly clearing your own ranks of those few bad apples?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    But, is it really a few, dross? Sure, they catch lots of them and even prosecute some. But, how many go unreported or get off with a slap on the wrist? I routinely see about a dozen incidents a day reported, (sometimes more). Granted, many of these bad cop reports are instances where they were caught and punished. I don't see anything like that kind of reporting for EMS, Fire or most other professions. It seems like there is an epidemic across the country of bad actors in the enforcer community. How many do we have to see before it stops being a "few"?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    But, is it really a few, dross? Sure, they catch lots of them and even prosecute some. But, how many go unreported or get off with a slap on the wrist? I routinely see about a dozen incidents a day reported, (sometimes more). Granted, many of these bad cop reports are instances where they were caught and punished. I don't see anything like that kind of reporting for EMS, Fire or most other professions. It seems like there is an epidemic across the country of bad actors in the enforcer community. How many do we have to see before it stops being a "few"?

I don't disagree. I submit that my point is larger. A few, a lot, however many there are only exist at the largesse of their fellow "good" cops, who cloak themselves in blue rather than expose their bad fellows. That was my larger point.

I truly believe that most cops don't approve, but the system neuters their disapproval to the point they become complicit.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I don't disagree. I submit that my point is larger. A few, a lot, however many there are only exist at the largesse of their fellow "good" cops, who cloak themselves in blue rather than expose their bad fellows. That was my larger point.

I truly believe that most cops don't approve, but the system neuters their disapproval to the point they become complicit.
    ^^This, and if not complicit, at least complacent.

The question is what to do when the bad apple is either the chief or the sheriff himself. The example should come from the top down; LEOs, check me on this, but if the guy with the big office on your department is squeaky clean, you'd expect that his policies and his officers would likewise be clean or they would be looking for work. The expectations are high and if met, you can have a long career with that department. If they're not, "Would you like fries with that, sir?" or "Hi, welcome to Wal Mart!" might be better phrases than "License and registration, please."

Conversely, if the chief or sheriff is dirty or maybe just not as clean as he could be, the integrity of the department would possibly slip some, too.

Again, LEOs, if I'm not correct about this, please let me know. (I wouldn't mind knowing if I'm correct, too!)

Blessings,
    Bill

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    I've personally never had a bad interaction with a LEO but have had one or two try to intimidate me with their "authoritah" which fortunately for all involved it never went beyond the threat to me and my response of "I have a lawyer that loves cases like this".

I wouldn't want their job nowadays and I don't have the answer, just making an observation.

And I would submit that IS a "bad interaction". How far would you think it would have to go before it IS a "bad interaction"? Your brains on the pavement?

They are not titled Lords and Masters. They are supposed to serve us in a specific capacity.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, now we get to see what constitutes "justice", these days. The two cops in this story were fired for their brutal beating of the two guys. Now they've been reinstated, with back pay. Not only did they brutally beat two people, they lied about it in their reports and now they're going to be let back out on the streets, when they should be doing hard time in the pen.

2 cops fired over videotaped brutal beating reinstated | 9news.com

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epECM092rb4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epECM092rb4[/ame]

I can't imagine a good reason why these two animals aren't in prison.

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    They'll stop breaking the law when humans in general stop breaking the law. Police are, after all, human. Statistically speaking they are just as likely to do something unlawful as the general population is.

All we can do is work to catch them when they do something unlawful, and in my opinion, impose stiffer penalties when convicted.

There is nothing worse than being given a position of power over people then using that position to conduct criminal activities. As an example, if assault carries a 5 year sentence for civilians, then it should carry a 10 year sentence for a police officer if the commit the crime while on duty.

Im gonna have to disagree. Cops are 5 times more likely to be convicted via shady evidence than the average citizen. Why? Because convicting "dirty" cops is a prosecutors wet dream... political ambition plain and simple.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Im gonna have to disagree. Cops are 5 times more likely to be convicted via shady evidence than the average citizen. Why? Because convicting "dirty" cops is a prosecutors wet dream... political ambition plain and simple.
    Do you have a citation to back up your assertions? From what I've seen, over the years, most cops get a pass or easier sentencing when they're caught committing a crime. This case is a prime example.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    The union said they didn't deserve termination for falsifying police reports.

"They didn't deserve termination," Nick Rogers, president of the Police Protective Association, said. "At the end of the day, you actually have human beings who were out trying to protect the public and were doing it and were darn good cops at the time. They will come back and they will be good cops again."

What kind of standards does this police union have? Absolutely unreal. Do good cops occasionally get caught falsifying documents in their favor?

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    The union said they didn't deserve termination for falsifying police reports.

"They didn't deserve termination," Nick Rogers, president of the Police Protective Association, said. "At the end of the day, you actually have human beings who were out trying to protect the public and were doing it and were darn good cops at the time. They will come back and they will be good cops again."

What kind of standards does this police union have? Absolutely unreal. Do good cops occasionally get caught falsifying documents in their favor?

No Nick, actually they lied on a report. Their word now means **** to the courts, the citizens they were supposed to be serving, and to me...........the door is that way a-holes, don't let it hit you.

Top Bottom