• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Your home address is not static. It can change.
    You are likely tracked via several methods:
    • MAC address - these are fixed in hardware but can be spoofed if you know how.
    • IP - most home ISPs are dynamic although the default lease is 3 days so if you stay online it won't change unless you shut off or disconnect your modem/router for more that 3 days.
    • Your browser/OS fingerprint - the unique details of your system (microprocessor, memory, browser brand/version and many more attributes) that are unique to your system.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    IP address

It is possible to get a static, but generally you pay more for it.
    Like I said “if you say so” I’m not arguing, just don’t know how to do it. Mine has been the same for a long time. Just to be sure - we are talking about IP address rite? That’s what I’m referring to. And

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Like I said “if you say so” I’m not arguing, just don’t know how to do it. Mine has been the same for a long time. Just to be sure - we are talking about IP address rite? That’s what I’m referring to. And
    You've been on with 5 different IP addresses since June. Significantly less than most buy still more than 1

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    You are likely tracked via several methods:
    • MAC address - these are fixed in hardware but can be spoofed if you know how.
    • IP - most home ISPs are dynamic although the default lease is 3 days so if you stay online it won't change unless you shut off or disconnect your modem/router for more that 3 days.
    • Your browser/OS fingerprint - the unique details of your system (microprocessor, memory, browser brand/version and many more attributes) that are unique to your system.
    Don’t have anything MAC. I never turn my pewter off, my elect. can only go out for ~8 seconds, then everything reboots. Pewter n Router. Last time that I think anything changed was about 8 yrs. ago. Router took a dump, new router.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Don’t have anything MAC. I never turn my pewter off, my elect. can only go out for ~8 seconds, then everything reboots. Pewter n Router. Last time that I think anything changed was about 8 yrs. ago. Router took a dump, new router.
    MAC in this context is not McIntosh/Apple. Look on the back of your router. It will have the MAC address.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County

Every device that connects to a computer network has a hardware ID, or MAC ("media access control") address. It is a serial number, essentially, of the device you're using.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Don’t have anything MAC
    MAC in this context is not McIntosh/Apple. Look on the back of your router. It will have the MAC address.
    This^^^
    Thats Media Access Control
    Every ethernet port, network attached device has a unique Mac number address assigned to it.

If you check your IP address you will see the MAC address associated with it
    like 00:25:96:FF:FE:12:34:56

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    This^^^
    Thats Media Access Control
    Every ethernet port, network attached device has a unique Mac number address assigned to it.

If you check your IP address you will see the MAC address associated with it
    like 00:25:96:FF:FE:12:34:56
    OK, always thought that was McIntosh there is a long number we’ve had to use it for Prime TV.

I thought my ip was 196.++.++++. Looks like a default # for the brand.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    OK, always thought that was McIntosh there is a long number we’ve had to use it for Prime TV.

I thought my ip was 196.++.++++. Looks like a default # for the brand.
    Ah, yes. By default, all router/modems on the local netwoork side have 192.168.x.x or 10.0.x.x, 172.x.x.x are private addresses, and are not routable on the Internet and why they are used for the local network (i.e. inside your home or business).

The internet side of the routers/modems are assigned by the ISP either fixed or dynamic.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Ah, yes. By default, all router/modems on the local netwoork side have 192.168.x.x or 10.0.x.x, 172.x.x.x are private addresses, and are not routable on the Internet and why they are used for the local network (i.e. inside your home or business).

The internet side of the routers/modems are assigned by the ISP either fixed or dynamic.
    Been in the business since 1988. Modems, routers, switches, servers, workstations, printers, running CAT3/4/5 (edit: there was some RG59 and freaking Token Ring in there too); I've done it.

I effin hate computers. Bill Gates gave me a lifetime career. I hate him too (but not for his invention).

Last edited:

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I used them in my former life, forgotten most of what I learned or knew. Don’t mis it a bit.

And what I retain is just enough to get me in trouble or make me sound like a mo-ron and I don’t even care. :oldwise:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom