• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What's your favorite frame size to carry?

• Total voters

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Maybe you should try a RIA Compact. I have a Kimber Ultra, Kimber Compact and RIA Compact. The RIA is right between the Kimbers in terms of size, but it's an all steel gun with more weight than the Kimbers and that makes recoil a bit more controllable. It's also very reliable and accurate. I'll try to weigh and photograph them tonight for comparisons.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Here's a shot of the 3 1911s that I tend to carry. The top is a Kimber Compact, next is an RIA Compact and the bottom is a Kimber Ultra. The loaded weights for these are:

Kimber Compact - 34.0 oz
    Kimber Ultra - 30.8 oz
    RIA Compact - 41.2 oz

Those were weighed with a mag + 1 full of Speer Gold Dots in 230g.

picture.php

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    88E30M50, thanks for the photos.
    The recoil isn't an issue.
    It mostly comes down to wanting HP reliably cycled and not needing the take-down tool.
    I'm just kicking the tires on this idea, but I'm glad there are a lot of opinions posted. Gives me something to think about...

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    3" Kimber is my favorite carry gun and have never had a problem with it. If your looking to move to a 4" 1911 I would go with the Kimber Compact, has the 4" barrel your looking at but with the grip Ultra grip size making it easier for CC.

And you can find the pre Series II Kimber Compacts fairly easy on Gunbroker (they are not always there but they pop up often enough).

My full size 5" Springfield is my favorite to carry, especially OC. But my Kimber Custom Compact carries much nicer concealed. And it is the 4" barrel, officers frame that he's talking about. I got lucky and snagged a series I. :D

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    It mostly comes down to wanting HP reliably cycled and not needing the take-down tool.
    I'm just kicking the tires on this idea, but I'm glad there are a lot of opinions posted. Gives me something to think about...

I'm with you on the not needing the tool, that's why I like carrying my Springfield better. I still have a little bit of smoothing to do on it from my beavertail grip safety install though.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've never had an issue with my Ultra in terms of reliability. I have a CZ 97B that has an uneven track record with HP ammo though. I'm going to run a bunch of Hornady Critical Defense through it tomorrow to see how it does. It cycles those fine by hand. The Critical Defense in 45 ACP has a rounded profile that's similar to a FMJ round. If you've had a couple of issues with the Ultra, it might be worth giving those a try to see if the gun likes them better.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    I have carried all 3 and still do from time to time but my all time favorite is a Wilson Combat Ultralight Carry Compact. It has the 4" barrel with an alloy officer's frame and round butt. It is nice and light but just as controllable as a full size steel framed gun. The round butt helps reduce printing and the slightly shorter barrel is more comfortable when wearing IWB.

boblade

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2011
    The Best I have Found is an HK SXE 45,with Lazor,and small LED Light,Very accurate and Never Jams Handels Hollow Points Just like FMJ's

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    KISS

I do like the kiss principle (KISS). Keep It Simple Silly. And I love Bill Lear's (the inventor of the Learjet) philosophy that he summed up this way,"Parts you do not have cannot fail". :)

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have several Commanders in both steel and aluminum frames in .45 and .38 Super. All are reliable and feed most ammo w/o problems. The .38 Super LW Commander seems to be a bit more picky but does work well with ammo it likes.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I carry a Kimber Ultra

Me, too.
    But (God forbid) if I'm ever forced into a situation where I'd have to use it, it's going to be taken from me by LEO and (not too carefully) tossed into an evidence lock up until everything is sorted out, or longer. Who knows what kind of scratched up rusted shape I'd get it back in...if ever.
    I'm kind of thinkin' of carrying something I won't cry over losing...
    Just one of the ideas that's kickin' up the cobwebs between my ears.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom