• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What's your favorite frame size to carry?

• Total voters

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I've got a full size 1911 and it is a fantastic range gun, but I simply don't want to carry that much weight cc. I like .45 however, and every once and a while I go looking for a 1911 with a 3" barrell; only to bump into complaints about the small ones not working properly. I just hate dealing with dud guns, so I always back off.

So far, my compromise has been a S&W 457

... which weighs exactly the same amount as quite a few 1911s, including my normal carry gun.

Edit: Oops, I think I was wrong -- mine reportedly only weighs 27oz, I thought it was 29.

Hap Hazard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    I personally like the idea of the full size with the alloy frame but would use a 4" gun in a heartbeat. Anything shorter than 4" and you're just asking for aggravation of one sort or another.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    My three carry 1911's are all commander sized. A Kimber, a SW 1911Sc and a custom. The S&W is the lightest to carry. My only other carry gun is a Sig 228 I have had for years and will still carry once in a while.

I just like the balance of the commander sized guns over the full sized and don't like the shorter ones.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The pistol I most often carry is a 4" Kimber 1911 Compact in stainless. I have an Ultra Carry and have never had an issue with it, but I have it set up with very thin grips and only carry that when I'm carrying IWB. The Compact is about the perfect size for me. I used to carry a full size 1911 but have relegated that to range time now. There's a lot more weight and a longer barrel with the only gain being 1 more round. When I want to carry a full size 45, it's a CZ97 instead with 10+1 on board. The CZ 97 is also the most accurate pistol I own.

For 9mms, I also tend to opt for the compact sizes. The favorite 9mm to carry is a CZ 75 Compact with a 3.8 inch barrel. It's an all steel gun and weighs in at 33oz, but you don't notice it at all while carrying. You do notice that extra bit of weight when shooting it though, as it's a very easy gun to shoot both rapidly and accurately. The weight sure does help keep the barrel down.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I picked other, I had a full size 1911. An it was like trying CC a howitzer on my hip. Ill have me another 1911 one day but not for carry. Im a skinny tall guy so its hard to CC a big full size. Ive goy my eye on a PF9, I want one of them for my carry pistol. My buddy has one and I wore his on my hip couldnt even tell it was there and light as a feather

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    My two most often carried semi-auto's are a full size 1911 and a Browning Hi-Power. I always carry IWB, so the shorter barrel length does nothing for concealment and comfort is about the same. The grip is the same size, so it makes more sense to have more weight up front and a longer sight radius. I've sworn off the Officer's sized 1911 due to less than stellar reliability.

Doug K

Markedup

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Other

J frame, occasionally a K frame.
    How does barrel length relate to the total
    OP ? Perhaps the question could be, "What
    is your favorite barrel length to carry".
    I think it would be helpful to know who the
    Original Poster of a survey is, so we could address
    our comments to them.

Thanks

Mark

Last edited:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    How does barrel length relate to the total
    OP ?Perhaps the question could be, "What
    is your favorite barrel length to carry".

Because some frames don't have the "normal" corresponding barrel length (like the CCO, for example. Officer's frame - Commander slide & barrel)...

I think it would be helpful to know who the
    Original Poster of a survey is, so we could address
    our comments to them.
    Ummm...the name is right there in the "Thread/Thread Starter" area, and then when you click the thread open it's right there in the very first post...
    ?? :n00b:

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I usually carry a mid-size 4" M&P .45. But my Bodyguard 380 is the favorite in terms of comfort. Admittedly its a backup or highly concealed option.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    That ugly little gun.

That is why I carry the Glock 27 Annie because it has been,for me at least, 100% reliable,very accurate, light weight and concealable. Just a little over 3500 rounds out of mine so far (120 this morning, nah nah nah nah, nah nah) and I have yet to experience a single FTF or FTE. I know it ain't purrty like your Kimber and will never be a collectable but it is a marvelous little lightweight dependable tool. I bet my life on it. :)

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    That is why I carry the Glock 27 Annie because it has been,for me at least, 100% reliable,very accurate, light weight and concealable. Just a little over 3500 rounds out of mine so far (120 this morning, nah nah nah nah, nah nah) and I have yet to experience a single FTF or FTE. I know it ain't purrty like your Kimber and will never be a collectable but it is a marvelous little lightweight dependable tool. I bet my life on it. :)

I just can't love the trigger of a Glock (or an XD)...

Thanks for all the replies so far. I'm kind of stuck in an "in-between" in my thoughts about going to a bigger carry.

john67103

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Fishers
    Glock 19 most of the time. When I can't carry that then PF9. Its less about the weight and more about the concealment. For me a nice belt and comfortable holster could carry just about anything, but I try not to scare the sheep.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I just hope you get it worked out so that you are comfortable and confident.

Frankly, I don't have much against the Ultra Carry II, although I'd rather it was a pre-series and I'm tired of needing a take-down tool (that's easily lost!)...

I'm a fan of how it shoots and have at least 1.5k rounds through it over the last years of training/practice/plinkin'... BUT, I'm an even bigger fan of the reduced perceived recoil in a Commander/Pro/4" or Government/Custom/5".
    Sort of like the difference between driving a 72 Pinto and a Caddy.

PS: I have seen the pictures of your targets.......you SHOULD be confident!! :D
    Thanks! But I don't really buy into the whole "paper" thing. I go by feedback from the coach. :yesway:

Markedup

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Ummm...the name is right there in the "Thread/Thread Starter" area, and then when you click the thread open it's right there in the very first post...
    ?? :n00b:

Thank You, JetGirl.
    DUH ! I learned something about posted
    polls and you learned something about
    me.

Mark

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    3" Kimber is my favorite carry gun and have never had a problem with it. If your looking to move to a 4" 1911 I would go with the Kimber Compact, has the 4" barrel your looking at but with the grip Ultra grip size making it easier for CC.

And you can find the pre Series II Kimber Compacts fairly easy on Gunbroker (they are not always there but they pop up often enough).

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom