• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    I have an old 1100 I bought off Armslist from a dude in Crawfordsville for $300. Had the original wood furniture from the 60's or 70's, and a 28"-ish plain barrel. I cut it down to 18.5", added a Wilson Combat +2, and man does it feel right. Solid metal, works with authority, easy shooting, just a great shotgun.

Only thing I would change on it is the button on the liftgate you have to hit to insert shells or release the locked-back bolt. There's a speedfeed or speedloader or somesuch that make it easier, but I don't like the big lever hanging down to catch on stuff and break the fine lines of the thing.

2wq9aog.jpg

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    The Remington 1100(semi auto) hands down----------barrels available-----from 20",to 36" with fixed choke----or newer barrels with screw in chokes tubes---rifled barrels,rifled barrels with cantilever scope mounts---synthetic stocks----trap and skeet wood available-------cammo stocks-------magazine extensions--------tons of aftermarket items for the 1100-----------
    I shot registered trap with a 1100 for 8 years------NO FAILURES---still have the gun---great Pheasant gun
    Second choice would be Remington 870(pump) similar components available for it

$0.02
    tallend

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    My heart tells me to go with my dad's favorite, the venerable Ithaca 37, but my head says Remington 870.
    The dual action bars make it a demonstrably more reliable action.
    I've heard lots of good about the Mossberg 500 and its multiple variants, especially for its ambidexterous safety, screwdriver-replaceable ejector, and for ease of loading, but on the flip side, it's a bit harder to add upgrades (extended magazine tube, etc.) to, and I never really cared for the way they're put together.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    My heart tells me to go with my dad's favorite, the venerable Ithaca 37, but my head says Remington 870.
    The dual action bars make it a demonstrably more reliable action.
    I've heard lots of good about the Mossberg 500 and its multiple variants, especially for its ambidexterous safety, screwdriver-replaceable ejector, and for ease of loading, but on the flip side, it's a bit harder to add upgrades (extended magazine tube, etc.) to, and I never really cared for the way they're put together.
    I grew up with mossbergs and we had them for the same reason everyone else does price/performance, but I was super excited when I could afford ANYTHING else. My first 12 was the old 500 combo that was dark gray with some factory sprayed olive splotches on it. Killed my first deer with it. I consider Remington a step up and I had a few 870s and then I got into Brownings. I never thought I'd like anything better than my browning gold....until I started looking at benellis and got an m4. I will have a super black eagle sometime soon. To be fair though, I think that mossbergs have come a long way since the rattly junk they made in the early 90s, but Remington's still seem nicer to me. I think that versamax looks great.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Agree with Captianbullseye!!! I have an old (1970s) Remington 870 Wingmaster Magnum. The action is SO SMOOTH!!!!! They don't spend the time refining them lie they used to.

ncuster852

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2014
    Brownsburg
    Quick search and all of the below show to be had for at or under your $800 range in some or all variants.

Weatherby SA-08
    Mossberg 930/935
    Remington 11-87 <----love this one
    Beretta A300

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I can chime in on the other end of the spectrum from my own very limited personal experience: worst all around shotgun
    That would be the Weatherby model 92 pump shotgun I was given as a Christmas gift when I was about 15.
    The damn thing would double feed shells repeatedly, totally jamming the action to the point that I was constantly forced to disassemble a loaded shotgun to clear the jam.
    I struggled with it for years, then finally the extractor broke.
    I sold it a McGalliard Guns in Muncie for $50 and put the money toward a new 870.
    Not so much as a hiccup since.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Elkaholic, I do not know what you want to this this shotgun for... But is it for hunting? I see you said something about a Benelli... They are amazing guns, and I would recommend one without question. However, I have no idea what you intend to use your shotgun for, and you may or may not have to adjust your budget for a Benelli. Otherwise there are other great options in or much closer to your price range.

mclovin1033

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2015
    Muncie
    why not go Saiga? reliable, tough, lots of bang. this shotgun system is modeled after the ak platform.The ak's a reliable although not precision system, but who needs precision with a shotgun.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    why not go Saiga? reliable, tough, lots of bang. this shotgun system is modeled after the ak platform.The ak's a reliable although not precision system, but who needs precision with a shotgun.

Maybe it has something to do with the amount of energy and head-scratching expended on trying to get them to run reliably...

Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    I agree with mclovin. I love my Saiga. Very versatile. Hunting. Home protection. Easy and quick to change ammo. Too bad the idiot in charge has banned them. All he has done is drive up the price.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm a Benelli fan from way back. The M1S90 to me was the perfect shotgun, and is still my goto shotgun. I've wanted an M3, strictly for the pump/auto novelty, but have yet to find one reasonable.

Top Bottom