• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have had several conversations with people about this story and I have an observation...

Like the Zimmerman/Martin case, there's only one guy left to tell the tale. Why are some people so willing to take this guys story at face value but want to see Zimmerman locked away, or at least dragged into court? To me, the guy in Texas clearly broke the law. He used force beyond what was necessary to stop the threat. For the record, I can't say I wouldn't have either, IF it went down the way he says it did.

But in Zimmerman's case, beyond his story, there are witnesses, evidence, and a law on the books that says if no evidence is found that contradicts the claim of self-defense, you walk. And yet there he sits in jail.

Sorry to beat the proverbial dead horse, carry on.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have had several conversations with people about this story and I have an observation...

Like the Zimmerman/Martin case, there's only one guy left to tell the tale. Why are some people so willing to take this guys story at face value but want to see Zimmerman locked away, or at least dragged into court? To me, the guy in Texas clearly broke the law. He used force beyond what was necessary to stop the threat. For the record, I can't say I wouldn't have either, IF it went down the way he says it did.

But in Zimmerman's case, beyond his story, there are witnesses, evidence, and a law on the books that says if no evidence is found that contradicts the claim of self-defense, you walk. And yet there he sits in jail.

PC and racial pressure being applied in huge doses against the white Hispanic.

I agree, more force than needed to end the situation but think about this. If you are pushed into a FULL ON rage scenario such as this, when would you stop. At what point in the flood of emotion and release of anxiety's would you consider the law and it's ramifications. Unless you were a highly trained individual, no chance you are stopping. When the damn breaks, the water only stops once it is gone.

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012

Just taking a prosecutors look on this....

Rural Texas.
    Man witness sexual predator attacking his daughter.
    Man defends sexual predator attacking his daughter.
    Dead sexual predator.....

Remember, your in rural Texas. You would have to be an IMBECILE to bring charges up on this guy and waste your town/counties money (and make yourself look like a moron to everyone else in the county). Hell the responding officers probably said something to the effect that they would have done the same.

Now if this happened in Philly, New York or Chicago where pedophiles have more rights than parents, the guy would probably be in trouble.

You would only have a point if they dad locked the guy in a room and came back later to kill him.

Lilboy1023

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Indianapolis
    He got exactly what he deserved. Like said before legally if he shot him I think it would have been better. I would have done the same thing if it was me tho.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Just taking a prosecutors look on this....

Rural Texas.
    Man witness sexual predator attacking his daughter.
    Man defends sexual predator attacking his daughter.
    Dead sexual predator.....

Remember, your in rural Texas. You would have to be an IMBECILE to bring charges up on this guy and waste your town/counties money (and make yourself look like a moron to everyone else in the county). Hell the responding officers probably said something to the effect that they would have done the same.

Now if this happened in Philly, New York or Chicago where pedophiles have more rights than parents, the guy would probably be in trouble.

You would only have a point if they dad locked the guy in a room and came back later to kill him.

Kinda reminds me of

"You're in Ala-****ing-bama. There is no way this is not going to trial."

:):

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It's easy to think he was "overboard" when you're sitting in front of a computer, comfortable, and heart rate not up.
    Ever notice when all the guns are drawn and people are yelling, for no reason. There is a reason. Heart rate is up, adrenaline is pumped.
    Try being in the situation.
    Add the guy, in your daughters room.
    Legally, he should have stopped when the threat was stopped.
    But your bodies response, may not be what you think it will be. The reasoning part of the brain take a back seat.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I am sure he did not intend to kill him, but probably just snapped at the sight of what was happening. Who wouldn't..it is messed up.
    I have never understood what would provoke this kind of action upon a child!!!!
    He may not have intended to kill him, but I do not think that "victim" is the right wording here if this is really what was happening. The "Victim" is the girl and her family, and will be forever.
    At least he will not be doing this, or worse, to anyone elses daughter after he is released in a few years.

"Excited delirium, (gavel knocks) case dismissed innocent"

But honestly, there should probably be some sort of investigation just to make sure the story checks out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not stirring any poop but what is there to investigate???
    Unless daughter said something at the scene to put up any red flags. I am sure they are looking at everyone involved. Just saying.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Not stirring any poop but what is there to investigate???
    Unless daughter said something at the scene to put up any red flags. I am sure they are looking at everyone involved. Just saying.

There are 2 witnesses, the guy who killed the other, and a 4 year old child. LE would be pretty remiss simply to take someone's word after the death of another as being factual.
    And they very well may have concluded the investigation, on scene, but there certainly should check out the story. Last thing you want to find out is that the guy beaten to death was owned $50K by the dad, and was simply there to collect.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

The point is simply that this father clearly broke the law of his state. Other than on an emotional level and out of shear hatred for pedophiles, how was lethal force justified in this case? IF the facts of the case are what he claims, I couldn't sit on a jury and convict him, or say I would've done a thing differently.

I was merely commenting on discussions I had had with several people who are very unsympathetic to Zimmerman's situation and yet wanted the father from Texas canonized. And yet in both cases, only one guy walked away to tell the story.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Investigate and send the findings to a grand jury. It is simple due diligence in a case involving a death. I wouldn't sweat much, as reported, this case has zero jury appeal.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There are 2 witnesses, the guy who killed the other, and a 4 year old child. LE would be pretty remiss simply to take someone's word after the death of another as being factual.
    And they very well may have concluded the investigation, on scene, but there certainly should check out the story. Last thing you want to find out is that the guy beaten to death was owned $50K by the dad, and was simply there to collect.

Good point. As I said, I am sure they will look at all involved.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

Dad won't face charges in alleged attacker's death
    SHINER, Texas — ...

In declining to indict the 23-year-old father in the June 9 killing of Jesus Mora Flores, a Lavaca County grand jury reached the same conclusion as investigators and many of the father's neighbors: He was authorized to use deadly force to protect his daughter.

Good. I can't believe the number of people who wanted to indict this guy for defending his daughter...

I voted for that DA in the recent primary, which she won (with no Democratic opponent in the General Election, she will get another 4 year term). Glad now that I did.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Had I been the father in this situation I would have absolutely had every intention of ending the life of the creature attacking my daughter. On top of that I would be willing to announce that fact to the entire world and I would say it in court as well. If they send me to jail for that, so be it, but I seriously doubt it could ever happen.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI

SHINER, Texas — ...

In declining to indict the 23-year-old father in the June 9 killing of Jesus Mora Flores, a Lavaca County grand jury reached the same conclusion as investigators and many of the father's neighbors: He was authorized to use deadly force to protect his daughter.

Good. I can't believe the number of people who wanted to indict this guy for defending his daughter...

I voted for that DA in the recent primary, which she won (with no Democratic opponent in the General Election, she will get another 4 year term). Glad now that I did.

Glad you got out and voted, and apparently that it was a good vote at that. I hate when they do stupid things cause they feel that they have to do something, or cause they are trying to make an example.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    The point is simply that this father clearly broke the law of his state.

SHINER, Texas — ...

Clearly, he DID NOT break the laws of his state. Good for him, did what he needed to do......

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    The point is simply that this father clearly broke the law of his state.

Can you cite the law he broke?

IIRC, in Texas (maybe this isn't still the case) deadly force was still lawful in protection of property. I have some Googling to do, but the story that comes to mind is a repo man shot to death by the car's "owner" who thought the vehicle was being stolen.

EDIT:

Texas Legislature said:
    Sec. 9.32. DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON. (a) A person is justified in using deadly force against another:
    (1) if the actor would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.31; and
    (2) when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
    (A) to protect the actor against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful deadly force; or
    (B) to prevent the other's imminent commission of aggravated kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery, or aggravated robbery.

Sec. 9.33. DEFENSE OF THIRD PERSON. A person is justified in using force or deadly force against another to protect a third person if:
    (1) under the circumstances as the actor reasonably believes them to be, the actor would be justified under Section 9.31 or 9.32 in using force or deadly force to protect himself against the unlawful force or unlawful deadly force he reasonably believes to be threatening the third person he seeks to protect; and
    (2) the actor reasonably believes that his intervention is immediately necessary to protect the third person.

Regarding Property

Texas Legislature said:
    Sec. 9.41. PROTECTION OF ONE'S OWN PROPERTY. (a) A person in lawful possession of land or tangible, movable property is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent or terminate the other's trespass on the land or unlawful interference with the property.
    (b) A person unlawfully dispossessed of land or tangible, movable property by another is justified in using force against the other when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to reenter the land or recover the property if the actor uses the force immediately or in fresh pursuit after the dispossession and:
    (1) the actor reasonably believes the other had no claim of right when he dispossessed the actor; or
    (2) the other accomplished the dispossession by using force, threat, or fraud against the actor.

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:
    (1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and
    (2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
    (A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
    (B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and
    (3) he reasonably believes that:
    (A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or
    (B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Soooo...in Texas, if a fella steals your shotgun in the middle of the night you can shoot him in the back as he runs away :dunno:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom