Fatal shooting (homicide) in Zionsville (9/28)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Zionsville is a really quiet little suburban town and this is a big deal up here. Schools all went into lockdown mode as the shooting occured very close to a few of the schools. If I'm correct, this is the first homicide that has taken place in the actual town in twenty years.

I'm guessing ISP, IMPD, Carmel, and other agencies are active in helping search for the suspect (black male in a white Impala)

Just starting a thread as I know there are a number of Zionsville residents and northsiders in INGO.

Elderly man fatally shot in front of Zionsville home; multi-agency search underway for suspect | Fox 59

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Double you tee eff.

I know people in that area. News reports are saying "high powered rifle"?

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Yep. The ZPD press conference had the chief use that term high power. He said he could tell from the spent shell casings. But he appeared quite distressed so it's had to tell if he was just meaning a rifle round as compared to a handgun round or if it truly was a high power rifle (vs 5.56)

Pretty shocking. Old man gunned down in his yard...middle of the day....in freakin Zionsville.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Nothing yet. I would have guessed drug deal gone bad or something but not with an old man being the victim.
    Old men do drugs too, but it is unusual.

Was it a drive by then? Nothing stolen?

Anyone stand to profit from his death?

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    This is less than a mile from my house. When first hearing this I thought the suspected shooter probably had a drug habit and a need for cash but the news reports stated there was no evidence of robbery or theft. Then I wondered, perhaps wildly, about a "hit" being ordered on the murdered man. At this point all there is is speculation.

I have not historically been a devout concealed carry devotee. This incident, however, has given me cause to rethink that position. Until recently I would leave my keys in my vehicle parked outside. Then I realized my garage door opener was in the car which would give felons or would be felons immediate access to my home.

Recently Boone County Sheriff Mike Neilsen spoke to a homeowner's association re: home security. Neilsen stated that 38th street on the west side used to be the "line of demarcation" for the criminal element. Neilsen commented that line has now crept north to 96th street towards Zionsville and has already crossed that line in Carmel and Fishers.

Regardless of the motive of this crime, it is apparent I ain't liv'in in Disneyland anymore. Perhaps it is time to elevate my situational awareness a little. Maybe even make sure my doors are locked at night !

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Recently Boone County Sheriff Mike Neilsen spoke to a homeowner's association re: home security. Neilsen stated that 38th street on the west side used to be the "line of demarcation" for the criminal element. Neilsen commented that line has now crept north to 96th street towards Zionsville and has already crossed that line in Carmel and Fishers.

Not quite... there may be some property crime troubles in the commercial districts along 96th down at the Keystone auto-mile and Michigan Rd corridor and the gas stations at College and Allisonville... all due to the ease of disappearing down into Indy.

My wife and I plus our two families live along the 106th corridor in Carmel and all is quiet here and north. I'm more worried about spooking a Coyote than a burglar.

Nora area apartments and College Park shopping center are the Far-North's trouble spots.

Last edited:

wildcatze

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville
    I moved to Zionsville about 7 months ago and rarely consider carrying when out and about in the immediate area but Michigan south of 465 and the surrounding area seems to be a bit sketchy. I am definitely reconsidering how often I carry now and how I leave doors unlocked during the day and the garage open. This definitely doesn't seem like a random event but I don't even know what to speculate with the guy being in his 80s.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    You're truly kidding yourself if the only time you carry is when you feel you may be in a sketchy area. I carry whenever I'm out of the home, and indoor if my firearm isn't on me I'm within a few feet of one. It's impossible to second guess a thug, and obviously as this murder demonstrates the thugs are mobile.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This is less than a mile from my house. When first hearing this I thought the suspected shooter probably had a drug habit and a need for cash but the news reports stated there was no evidence of robbery or theft. Then I wondered, perhaps wildly, about a "hit" being ordered on the murdered man. At this point all there is is speculation.

I have not historically been a devout concealed carry devotee. This incident, however, has given me cause to rethink that position. Until recently I would leave my keys in my vehicle parked outside. Then I realized my garage door opener was in the car which would give felons or would be felons immediate access to my home.

Regardless of the motive of this crime, it is apparent I ain't liv'in in Disneyland anymore. Perhaps it is time to elevate my situational awareness a little. Maybe even make sure my doors are locked at night !

Lol, Neilsen actually said that? Does he even look at the data? Hint, he's wrong.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Not quite... there may be some property crime troubles in the commercial districts along 96th down at the Keystone auto-mile and Michigan Rd corridor and the gas stations at College and Allisonville... all due to the ease of disappearing down into Indy.

My wife and I plus our two families live along the 106th corridor in Carmel and all is quiet here and north. I'm more worried about spooking a Coyote than a burglar.

Nora area apartments and College Park shopping center are the Far-North's trouble spots.

I know an officer that just moved into the 106th/Haverstick area. Good guy.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    82 years old, 1248 in the PM, weather was crappy yesterday. Going to the mailbox? Bogwalker asked "who profits?" Next of kin getting paid? Gang member moving up in status? Grudge against a family member? All of the above? None of the above?

Scary times boys and girls. Hey Zionsville: start locking your doors!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I wonder if he was some sort of behind the scenes guy, living in suburbia, collecting his cut.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You're truly kidding yourself if the only time you carry is when you feel you may be in a sketchy area. I carry whenever I'm out of the home, and indoor if my firearm isn't on me I'm within a few feet of one. It's impossible to second guess a thug, and obviously as this murder demonstrates the thugs are mobile.

It never stops amazing me that folks get comfortable in the safe zones they live in. My parents moved out further west and after a short time there began to see trouble in the area.

The Brownsburg residence were shocked and amazed when those 2 thugs stole an SUV, drove out I-74 and terrorized the area.
    A lot of the trouble we have seen around here is not from the locals. Thugs have cars. Thugs are opportunists. They have no boundary's. They have little fear of the authority's.
    Stay alert. They are among us.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The gangs mainly kill each other, and not randomly. Unusually for some real or perceived slight.

Are we sure the victim wasn't in a gang?

Last edited:

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T

Fellas, everyone knows the line is now 146th! :laugh:

I wonder if he was some sort of behind the scenes guy, living in suburbia, collecting his cut.

Think Hyman Roth, from the Godfather.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom