Fatal shooting (homicide) in Zionsville (9/28)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I wonder what he was doing.

Anyway, the gas station at 96th and College is in Carmel, and was getting robbed with some regularity for awhile. As I recall, there was also evidence suggesting certain drug-oriented businesses had moved to houses north of 106th for awhile. I believe conscious effort was made to stop that trend. So, the Boone Co. sheriff might be talking about things that had been true in the past.

The more I've thought about this, the stranger it is. (By the way, video last night showed a Gregg campaign sign in the yard.) I wonder if it was mistaken identity or a psychotic breakdown. At first, I wondered if a family member gave the description of the shooter.... and it might've been fictitious. Sounds like neighbors, and maybe even the deceased, gave it.

With all the racial violence, something along those lines as motive cannot be ruled out, too. :(

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I wonder what he was doing.

Anyway, the gas station at 96th and College is in Carmel, and was getting robbed with some regularity for awhile. As I recall, there was also evidence suggesting certain drug-oriented businesses had moved to houses north of 106th for awhile. I believe conscious effort was made to stop that trend. So, the Boone Co. sheriff might be talking about things that had been true in the past.

The more I've thought about this, the stranger it is. (By the way, video last night showed a Gregg campaign sign in the yard.) I wonder if it was mistaken identity or a psychotic breakdown. At first, I wondered if a family member gave the description of the shooter.... and it might've been fictitious. Sounds like neighbors, and maybe even the deceased, gave it.

With all the racial violence, something along those lines as motive cannot be ruled out, too. :(

Lol. No, it's:

I wonder what he was "doing."

See what punctuation conveys?

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Everybody looks for a reason the 82 year old man got shot so they can avoid doing what he did. This will convince them that they are safe. It isn't true.
    You lessen your likelihood of being a victim by living in "Condition Yellow," but you are never completely safe.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Is killing a random person as a gang initiation a thing or was that an urban legend?

I don't know if it happens around here or not, but these two murders both happened in my neighborhood when I lived in MD, about a year after I bought my house. Though the articles don't say so, it was common knowledge these were initiations. "Pioneer City" just to the east was a real hotspot for gang / drug activity. Notice Cook Jr was involved in both, first as the killer then helping 'encourage' the younger in the 2nd shooting. I lived in a nice neighborhood, it was just the "nice" and "bad" neighborhoods were too close to matter. Never happier than to leave MD and move back to America.

Severn Teen Faces Life In Random, Fatal Shooting
    Judge denies request for new trial in 2004 Severn murder - Capital Gazette

When you heard the helo's overhead, double check all the locks, turn on outside lights, and keep the AR in reach...

-rvb

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Gangs? Motive? Why do our primitive brains always seek patterns?

Not every murder has an explanation. Don't know what happened, just be prepared for an answer that makes "no sense".

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Everybody looks for a reason the 82 year old man got shot so they can avoid doing what he did. This will convince them that they are safe. It isn't true.
    You lessen your likelihood of being a victim by living in "Condition Yellow," but you are never completely safe.

Not every murder has an explanation. Don't know what happened, just be prepared for an answer that makes "no sense".

Because, as Doug pointed out, truly random crime is the really scary kind for people who are not involved in criminal enterprises and who live quiet, peaceful lives. If we can put together a motive for the crime that is foreign to our lifestyle, we can relax.

As Doug also pointed out, that is a comforting fantasy. "Condition Yellow"- good point.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

women, money, or drugs. with rare exception, it's about one of those... even the random DC Beltway sniper was ultimately about his EX. truly random is truly rare...

-rvb

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Even answers that make make no sense can fit into a pattern.

Mental illness comes to mind. (Pardon the pun.) The act itself doesn't make sense, but the situation is explainable.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    women, money, or drugs. with rare exception, it's about one of those... even the random DC Beltway sniper was ultimately about his EX. truly random is truly rare...

-rvb

Perhaps a preponderance of murders I've had, however they are not always so no matter what tv, movies and the FBI tell us.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I am also in the "no such thing as random" camp. Even in the seemly random gang initiation violence we have heard about, do we really think they randomly select a well secured location and a well prepared target?

Remember that "knock out" game young punks were playing for a while, where they "randomly" cold-cocked some person on the street? How many big, burly guys did they attack? How many times did they single out a women in a larger group that was not distracted and obviously prepared? No, the picked on old folks and single (often distracted) women. Predators choose their prey. They don't just wake up hungry and go after the first thing that walks by.

I have absolutely no idea what happened in this particular case up in Zionsville. No idea how the perp and victim were related, or what precipitated the attack. I do feel confident that the ultimate reason won't be "I rolled the dice, counted that many houses, and shot the first person that walked out.". If I'm wrong, quote this post and call me out. I'll buy you a cheeseburger (that is the thing we do, right?).

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Are you saying that there is a reason that we refer to senseless violence as senseless?

ammmorph

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2016
    Carmel
    Used to be you really needed a good reason to carry. Now there are so many reasons it doesn't make sense not to carry....EVERYWHERE! Unfortunately, having a weapon most likely would not have helped the victim of this horrible crime.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    It never stops amazing me that folks get comfortable in the safe zones they live in. My parents moved out further west and after a short time there began to see trouble in the area.
    The Brownsburg residence were shocked and amazed when those 2 thugs stole an SUV, drove out I-74 and terrorized the area.
    A lot of the trouble we have seen around here is not from the locals. Thugs have cars. Thugs are opportunists. They have no boundary's. They have little fear of the authority's.
    Stay alert. They are among us.

Wow! I had no idea your parents were the two thugs that stole that SUV!
    :laugh:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you think you can predict when you might need a gun, then you'd be well served to avoid those circumstances. No one knows when they will need to defend their self or their family and friends. If you are able to carry, then you should carry all the time. You have nothing to lose except potentially some comfort. You have much to lose if you pick and choose when you will carry and you're wrong.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    If you think you can predict when you might need a gun, then you'd be well served to avoid those circumstances. No one knows when they will need to defend their self or their family and friends. If you are able to carry, then you should carry all the time. You have nothing to lose except potentially some comfort. You have much to lose if you pick and choose when you will carry and you're wrong.

This. If I'm out of the house, I have something. Only in the building at work do I not as it's not allowed. That's just the boy scouts in me "Always be prepared".

Top Bottom