Family member - got tired of being prepared!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Anyone remember how happy I was that my BIL got serious about being prepared?

Looks like he cashed out, and one of his neigbors bought most of his gear and generator. ( who is it?)

His logic was that he was not using them as he planned and didn't see the need for them anymore. They are keeping some of the camping items, but not much else. It was a fad to him, and he didn't want to keep playing.

Oh well, I tried!

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    :facepalm:

Now you have the issue of do you help them when the time comes or leave them in the cold. Sux to have to put them on "that list" of help/no help when it's family. :(

You leave them in the cold! Sorry but I'd be more inclined to help somebody who never even thought of trying to prep than to help somebody who thought about it, tried it, then said, "Naw don't need to waste my time on that junk." But then again, I'm a heartless bastard :)

LuCKy2212

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Carthage, IN
    At first I didn't see the need to prepare for anything. Nothing will happen in my lifetime...What about our kids though? Should they not have a headstart should anything happen?why stock up on supplies then turn around and sell it off because your bored with it? Dumbass***,sell nothing, buy what you can when you can. PROTECT your family.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Depends...
    Does the BIL have any skills that are useful?!
    Other than being a Sandbag of course...

If not then you are not welcome, Family or Not. Keeping walking with your hand out...

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Skills:

Golf & paying others to fix and maintain his stuff.....

LOL, does he vote for Obama too? What a prize.

In seriousness, all we can do is lead a horse to water. It's disapopinting to see the message being understood by wise people who still decide to ignore the risks involved of living the sheeps life. I think we've all experienced this disappointment in people to some extent. The only problem you have now is that you know he's showing up at your place post SHTF.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    This whole concept of leaving a friend out in the cold is simply un-American. It's the antithesis of the concept of the all American Hero. You know, the guy on camera who states, "anyone would have pulled that guy out of that burning building.... I'm no hero." There is strength in numbers, especially in groups of like minded people, whether they're prep-ers on not. I cannot enter into this fantasy that some seem to have that they will simply bug out, everyone else be damned and subsist on their stockpile .... until what? It seems a very limited number of catastrophy senerios would allow this anyway. I suppose, if it makes you feel safe, ... but I disagree with fostering a mentality or even expectation that one will: 1) leave others (especially family friends) out in the cold; 2) "Get to" defend the stockpile with deadly force and 3) somehow be able to carry on outside of the larger society.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    @ Mackey

& you will probably be disappointed in your fellow man who back stab you for a grain of rice. Mankind has shown time and time again that it's nothing more than a barbaric animal that will kill it's own kind if that will allow it to live another day.

Trust no one beginning with the reflection in the mirror when it comes to post TEOTWAYKI world.

BTW nice signature you got. Love the "non computer text" vs the sea of text we have on the post.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    This whole concept of leaving a friend out in the cold is simply un-American. It's the antithesis of the concept of the all American Hero. You know, the guy on camera who states, "anyone would have pulled that guy out of that burning building.... I'm no hero." There is strength in numbers, especially in groups of like minded people, whether they're prep-ers on not. I cannot enter into this fantasy that some seem to have that they will simply bug out, everyone else be damned and subsist on their stockpile .... until what? It seems a very limited number of catastrophy senerios would allow this anyway. I suppose, if it makes you feel safe, ... but I disagree with fostering a mentality or even expectation that one will: 1) leave others (especially family friends) out in the cold; 2) "Get to" defend the stockpile with deadly force and 3) somehow be able to carry on outside of the larger society.

One reason we have planned "in excess" on some basics. There are some whom we know have the means but not the desire. The words "We'll just come to your place" have actually been voiced. My answer, "Nope, not without at least 3 months of supplies for your family".
    We have planned for charity for those passing and in need, planned for those who we know cannot, but want to have in our circle, and also planned for those like mentioned above. They will get a BOB and "I'm sorry, we can't support you"

This is not UN-American, nor selfish in my opinion. We can't be expected to take on the troubles of everyone, especially those of folks who were forewarned and chose to do nothing.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    One reason we have planned "in excess" on some basics. There are some whom we know have the means but not the desire. The words "We'll just come to your place" have actually been voiced. My answer, "Nope, not without at least 3 months of supplies for your family".
    We have planned for charity for those passing and in need, planned for those who we know cannot, but want to have in our circle, and also planned for those like mentioned above. They will get a BOB and "I'm sorry, we can't support you"

This is not UN-American, nor selfish in my opinion. We can't be expected to take on the troubles of everyone, especially those of folks who were forewarned and chose to do nothing.

QFT :rockwoot:

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    "Burning-building"

That's an accident, man! "Failure to plan, on YOUR part, is pure ignorance on your part, and is no signal for me, who have planned and warned, to help you." I offered to teach you to "fish", but you only wanted "A" fish. So, Go Fish. This is not news. The "destitute whiners outside the door" are NOT "like-minded" people. There is no quickness in this scenario; this will play out over decades. EBG

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    When I hear that '' I am coming to your house '' statement , over , and over again because I simply can not get the wife to shut up about certain self reliant steps being taken , I inform the " joke maker " that every plan of survival comes with a *** zone that will need to be crossed . And , I am not a red cross member. I keep a very straight face when I am talking..

I hope Mackey is right and it will never come down to the hard choices ..

I just want to be the one choosin' , not beggin'...:popcorn:

harley888

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Family takes care of family- I plan extra for family i know have not prepared- whats use of survival when all you love is lost- now add in the thought if you're the one that turned a loved on away--?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Before piling on those who may not wish to become charitable institutions in the case of disaster, I would point out that there are three basic levels of unpreparedness: 1., Never though about it, never did anything about it, 2., Knew better, but never did anything about it, and 3., Had been prepared and sold off the stuff for whatever boneheaded stupid reason. When considering that last group, particularly after demonstrating that such person had the means to prepare and the knowledge to understand the need, you have to remember that they willfully chose to put themselves in a position to be a burden to the friends and family who may be willing to help them even though they had their own means and chose to **** them away. It is difficult for me to imagine any worse treatment of family/friends than that. Where do you draw the line pertaining to protecting the stupid/selfish (i.e., preferring to reinvest those assets into more immediate gratification) from themselves? I am assuming that the preps competed with toys for money. Someone who would regress like this and then show up after the fact bringing nothing but hungry mouths to the table has already won the race for the bottom.

I would also add that there are other reasons that any right-thinking individual would consider some family members most unwelcome. Would you also say that you have some obligation to help the treacherous for the sake of being nice folks?

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Great, I'll show up at your place looking destitute, I'll take all the preps you want to hand out, that way I eat through your stuff before I eat through mine. By the way, I'm gonna stop in the inner city on my way and grab a couple buses full of people to come with me, you won't turn them away will you....I mean, by your own comments that would be un-American. Now, get off your sanctimonious high horse and stop calling people who don't see things the same way you do Un-American!!! :xmad:

I'm prepared to help those who couldn't prepare themselves. I'm prepared to help those I can. However, I am NOT prepared to help somebody who was prepared and then said, "awww f*ck it, I want a bigger TV let's sell this junk"
    Additionally I believe I have a moral obligation to help those I can, however I will not endanger my ability to take care of my family to help someone else. My four kids come before EVERYONE else, myself included.
    I hope to God I never HAVE to defend my stockpile, but if that's what it takes, then that's what I'll do for the good of my family.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

Not a big fan of Aesop are you?! :popcorn:

Top Bottom