• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Everyone behind the counter at an automotive parts store are master mechanics too!
    True story.
    I was in Corpus Christi Texas when the auto tensioner on the land rover's serpentine blew out a bearing. Parked it right off the main drag asap. Walked to the part store and told them the issue. They could order the exact replacement part and it would be there in 4 days and cost $279. Neither was working for me,this thing just needed a bearing.
    Back to the vehicle I pull it(I had the tools I needed) take it back to them and we measure the bearing. Now being total idiots they have no clue how to even look up a specific size bearing(if their computer system even allows it?) Well,do you have the belt at least? I get the belt and leave.

Now at least I know what I need. I see a few doors down a 4x4 lift shop just closing down. Walk up to the guy getting ready to hit the button on the bay door. Part in hand, and tell him the problem and ask if he has a solution. He laughs, walks back into some shelving comes out with the exact bearing I need. "you got a press in that rover? Me,hammer,socket and a curb. We both laugh, he says let me see it. Takes 2 minutes or less to press out the old one and seat the new one. I thank him and ask what do I owe him? Well that is a quality bearing,made in the USA.... let me look in the computer. Walks back grinning. $12 bucks and you have to close that door on your way out....we closed 4 minutes ago. I thanked him. Handed him cash($20 and said lunch is on me tomorrow,shook his hand),push the button, jump the sensor on my way out...smiling a very happy man. 2016

It is not about what you think you know, and never will be.

If you are ever around there, this is the shop. :)

Last edited:

JayCo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2024
    Marion County
    Was it a .223 that "injured" Trumps ear? Just askin' for a friend
    I don't think they've ever confirmed what the caliber was, but it was an AR so more than likely yeah. But if the bullet did pass through his ear, there's not enough meat for any cavitation to happen

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Actually, I heard it on a movie once, but don't remember which one.
    So I didn't come up with it on my own... CRAP!! I know I stole "they don't know duck **** from apple butter," but that was from a neighbor back home, so that's OK. :lmfao:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I seen your name, replying to my post and was thinking up my apology to you sir. :ugh:

Glad you weren't too rough on me for a less than gracious post about gun shop workers. Your professional insider posts have always been helpful!

:)
    I haven’t worked in a gun shop since 19, but I have a standing offer or two, but even now I find myself trying to “help out” the employees

Just today I was at a shop and a person was getting a price on a Colt revolver he was wanting to sell, I hear the employee say “I need to let someone upstairs take a look at it” (they have a second floor) as the employee walked by me I said “take a good look at it, make sure it’s not refinished”…it was nickel plated! (And 41 magnum)

A few weeks ago I was at another shop when a person asked the employee “if they had any Glock switches?”…the employee said “I don’t know” (I’ve known her for a few years and she admits she doesn’t know everything)…I said “no they don’t have any of those”…he said that a buddy was wanting to sell him one…”I said it’s worth a hundred grand!”..,he said “really!” …and I said “yes and 10 years in federal prison too!”

But working in a shop has its drawbacks, I came home one day and said “that’s it…I’ve had it…I give up…I’m done dealing with stupid people!”…and walked into the kitchen and put my head in the oven…my wife walked in and said “dumb a$$…it’s an electric oven!”…the stupidity had rubbed off on me!!!

I remember the old Saturday Night Live skit with the two clothing store employees saying “this job would be so much better without the customers”…honestly I kinda miss working at a shop…but not all that much!

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Don’t know if I’m a fudd or not. Are “you” surprised, that I don’t have a clue. (About my fuddness).

But I do know if you are referring to me or my generation you just insulted the generation that assured you the right to say publicly what you just typed in public, without fear of reprisal.

Your welcome, by the way.
    My post was about the girl in the video spouting fudd lore as fact. Obviously a devout fuddist. No INGO member was quoted or reference in my initial post.

Reactions: Mij

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    While not relevant to the 5.56mm, I can assure you that we also have weapons designed to wound. The goal is enemy force degradation. Obviously killing someone degrades the unit's combat effectiveness, but so does a serious injury...which also ties up more personnel and logistic channels.

M-14 mines are a great example. Small charge by design, meant to mangle/amputate a foot but not lethally. Now you've got a soldier who can't walk unaided, is a drag on his unit, and is a burden on morale. I was never nervous around big charges. If you accidentally touch off a 40 lb cratering charge you'll never know you did it. The M-14, though, less than 3 lbs of pressure to touch it off and you'll live a long time to regret your error.
    We're gonna need a new doctrine, if we ever wind up in a direct tangle with Russia.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    We're gonna need a new doctrine, if we ever wind up in a direct tangle with Russia.

Well, in fairness he's still dead and that's one less bullet to launch at the good guys...

But, yes, some concern for human life is required. I guess Russia doesn't want guys sitting around bitching about the wait time at the VA.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I can only imagine how great morale in the Russian military must be, knowing that any sort of debilitating injury is an automatic death sentence.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    My post was about the girl in the video spouting fudd lore as fact. Obviously a devout fuddist. No INGO member was quoted or reference in my initial post.
    Good enough explanation for me. :thumbsup: I knew you didn’t mean me personally but I/ old guy catch a lot of flack from the younger folk. Still no problem.

Sorry about not clicking on links, didn’t see it.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Watching coverage of the assignation attempt on Trump and the reporter and "expert" are both full of crap.

Discussing whether or not the shooter staged the weapon ahead of time, or had it disassembled in the backpack.

Both agreed that the more likely scenario was that the weapon was staged ahead of time because, ready for it?

Because it would take time, and might be difficult to disassemble and reassemble the rifle, and small parts might get lost during the disassembly/ reassembly process.

I get the reporter, but the " expert" should know better.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Being old enough to remember the Vietnam era there were a lot of explanations around about the .223 ammo, including the idea of wounding instead of killing to take more soldiers out of an engagement. I think the weight reduction of the rifle and increase in ammo load played into the use of rifles on FA and fast engagements at short ranges philosophy. Times change, tech changes, and some weapons like the submachine gun that were far more common in the past, have nearly disappeared.

A friend returning from Vietnam in the early 60s said he didn't like the M-16 because it wasn't as good of a club as the M-14.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I haven’t worked in a gun shop since 19, but I have a standing offer or two, but even now I find myself trying to “help out” the employees

Just today I was at a shop and a person was getting a price on a Colt revolver he was wanting to sell, I hear the employee say “I need to let someone upstairs take a look at it” (they have a second floor) as the employee walked by me I said “take a good look at it, make sure it’s not refinished”…it was nickel plated! (And 41 magnum)

A few weeks ago I was at another shop when a person asked the employee “if they had any Glock switches?”…the employee said “I don’t know” (I’ve known her for a few years and she admits she doesn’t know everything)…I said “no they don’t have any of those”…he said that a buddy was wanting to sell him one…”I said it’s worth a hundred grand!”..,he said “really!” …and I said “yes and 10 years in federal prison too!”

But working in a shop has its drawbacks, I came home one day and said “that’s it…I’ve had it…I give up…I’m done dealing with stupid people!”…and walked into the kitchen and put my head in the oven…my wife walked in and said “dumb a$$…it’s an electric oven!”…the stupidity had rubbed off on me!!!

I remember the old Saturday Night Live skit with the two clothing store employees saying “this job would be so much better without the customers”…honestly I kinda miss working at a shop…but not all that much!
    When I first retired I worked at a large gun store indoor range. Mostly teaching but some RsO duties and occasional help out the counter folks in between classes.

While I posted this thread as I figured most could relate to “that” gun store employee let me just say there are some dandy customers too!

Some of the utter horse s&$t I have heard come out of people’s mouth. From wacky self defense scenarios to equipment set up to you name it I am convinced God is a forgiving God as there should be a lot more people dead, paralyzed or in prison than there are!!!!

This young lady to me is like that Secret Service agent. Not sure if I should be mad at her for her performance or her bosses for obviously not training her properly lying to her saying your good kid and throwing her out there to fail!

Top Bottom