• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Thanks for the thoughts and advice everyone. I agree my wife did well, especially considering she was scared and nervous.. short of calling 911 as soon as she got suspicious.

I just wish the State Police had taken her more seriously..

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    She should have called 911 while it was happening.
    I was hasseled by an off duty city police officer several years ago, about 5 miles outside of his jurisdiction and when I told him that a 911 call from my cell phone would ring in at the fort wayne state police post, he shut up and left.

several years ago maybe, but today there aren't any 'jurisdiction' in Indiana. Any LEO can perform his job anywhere in the state.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    So glad nothing really bad happened. I'd also add that most of us have phones capable of taking photos. It would have been interesting to see his reaction to having his picture taken.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    does she carry a cellphone or a weapon with her?

Can LEO confirm that it's OK to proceed to a "safe" place to pull over if you slow, acknowledge the officer and put hazards on? I heard you could do that so you didn't have to pull over on interstates or anywhere you didn't feel safe. Perhaps going to a populated area or a McD's with video surveillance would be a good idea.

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    What kind of car was he driving?

Just and FYI to all reading this thread and ESPECIALLY to women and wives/girlfriends of members reading this thread.

I know first-hand of a private citizen who has decked out his PERSONAL vehicle to look exactly like a LEO. Is a newer black charger, with heavily tinted windows, he has installed a spot light on the driver’s side and installed blue lights on the dash. For all intents and purposes it looks EXACTLY like a LEO vehicle. Minus the antenna but they are not always visible. Is usually in Montgomery, Hendrix, and Marion counties. White male, 6’ med build, and not to be stereo typical, but looks like a stereo typical LEO.

He USED to be a cop and has been discharged from several positions. The car updates came AFTER discharged.

I am in no way saying not to pull over for LEO but please be careful and in a well lit area and only in a safe area. When in doubt CALL on the phone to verify.

Most LEO are aware of the individual but cannot do anything unless he is caught pulling people over. It is rumored he does, yet no evidence thus far.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy

Can LEO confirm that it's OK to proceed to a "safe" place to pull over if you slow, acknowledge the officer and put hazards on? I heard you could do that so you didn't have to pull over on interstates or anywhere you didn't feel safe. Perhaps going to a populated area or a McD's with video surveillance would be a good idea.

I've done that when flagged near my downtown work exit on 70E. I proceeded off the exit to a less exposed spot. I had no doubt it was state police. The only safety issue was it was a shoulder near an exit on an interstate. I really didn't want all my colleagues exiting there to see me being detained with flashing lights looking like a crazed felon (diving after a ball).
    personal

The LEO didn't seem to mind.
    Seeing another colleague being ticketed months earlier on the shoulder of 70W opposite side was probably a contributing factor. Oh, the shame. I, of course, didn't do it..grin..

Last edited:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

Cellphone, yes. Weapon, not yet.

She said today "I made sure I was very aware of my surroundings on the way to work today"

At least something good came of this, we should all, always be "aware".

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Some years back in the 1990's, a lifelong friend of mine's 60+ year old aunt was driving on I-65 Southbound not far North of the HWY 114 Rensselaer Exit in Jasper County in NW Indiana.

This woman was just your regular 60ish woman with no criminal history whatsoever.

She was in the I-65 RIGHT lane and a man in an UNMARKED car, NOT in uniform pulled up along side her in the LEFT lane.

He flipped open what appeared to be a badge and pointed to the side of the road for her to pull over.

She didn't take any chances and drove on to the HWY 114 Rensselaer Exit.

She then pulled into the Trail Tree Inn truck stop so she would be in full public view of other people before stopping.

IT TURNS out this man was an Indiana State Police Officer,
    NOT in uniform and in an UNMARKED car.

He had no sympathy for her not stopping IMMEDIATELY out in the middle of nowhere and treated her as such.

She said he handcuffed her hands behind her back, and pushed her into the back seat to where she ended up on the floor.

Turns out this was all over a speeding ticket.

I told her that even being a guy I wouldn't have stopped in the middle of nowhere either for a guy who didn't appear to be a cop who just pulled out what looked like a badge and told me to pull over.

Anybody can buy a toy badge at the dime store and go down the road flashing it to other drivers and from a distance it might look real.

She did the right thing even though this guy turned out to be a cop.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Just and FYI to all reading this thread and ESPECIALLY to women and wives/girlfriends of members reading this thread.

I know first-hand of a private citizen who has decked out his PERSONAL vehicle to look exactly like a LEO. Is a newer black charger, with heavily tinted windows, he has installed a spot light on the driver’s side and installed blue lights on the dash. For all intents and purposes it looks EXACTLY like a LEO vehicle. Minus the antenna but they are not always visible. Is usually in Montgomery, Hendrix, and Marion counties. White male, 6’ med build, and not to be stereo typical, but looks like a stereo typical LEO.

He USED to be a cop and has been discharged from several positions. The car updates came AFTER discharged.

I am in no way saying not to pull over for LEO but please be careful and in a well lit area and only in a safe area. When in doubt CALL on the phone to verify.

Most LEO are aware of the individual but cannot do anything unless he is caught pulling people over. It is rumored he does, yet no evidence thus far.

I think I have seen that car multiple times in Beech Grove. Next time I see it I am going to try to get the plate number and find out if it is registered to a department or a person.

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    I think I have seen that car multiple times in Beech Grove. Next time I see it I am going to try to get the plate number and find out if it is registered to a department or a person.

The specific one I am referring to IS registered to an individual in Montgomery Co. As I specifically know what dealer it was purchased from and who purchased it. It is not and was not EVER registered to a government agency. This individual gives LEO’s who DO their job a bad rap, and a bad rep. I have known several LEO personally (sister almost married one, her issues not his, and still a friend of the family, we voted to keep him) and thought all the BS about badge heavy, and power trip was made up and just bad press, what people see on TV.
    Until I met this guy.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010

You might as well just hit him for the tinted windows. That might be enough.

Might be hard to prove that they are dark enough if you don't have a meter, though.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    City of Greenwood, Indiana / Website Tools - What should I do if I am stopped by a police officer?

Question What should I do if I am stopped by a police officer?

Answer
    I see flashing lights behind me. What should I do?

If you see flashing lights, must be both red and blue, behind you, you should slow down and pull over to the right hand side of the road. If an officer is pulling you over, you should pull off the roadway, where it is safe, and come to a stop. Keep your movements limited, until the officer approaches and requests your license, registration, and/or insurance information.

How do I verify if it's a real police officer pulling me over?

If you have a cell phone, after pulling over, call 911 and tell the Communication Officer you want to verify an officer is trying to pull you over. Stay on the line and listen to the Communication Officer's instructions. If you do not have a cell phone, you should pull over in a well lit area. If there is not a well lit/well populated area fairly close, you should turn on your hazard lights and slowly continue to a well lit/well populated area. By turning your hazard lights on, you are acknowledging the officer trying to pull you over. When the officer approaches, you should crack your window and ask to see identification.

What if I am stopped by an unmarked police car?

Acknowledge the officer, call 911, verify the officer's identity, and/or stop in a well lit/well populated area as described above. In Indiana, legitimate police cars must have red and blue lights visible.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    You might as well just hit him for the tinted windows. That might be enough.

Might be hard to prove that they are dark enough if you don't have a meter, though.

I just might do that, if I am ever in my Charger the same time he is in his. I don't issue window tint citations very often, but those that I have either paid the ticket or the judge ruled in my favor. I've never had a window tint meter and have never been told to get one by a traffic court judge.

Top Bottom