• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    I agree, we all agree on the checking of ltch/license. we are all sitting somewhere slightly outside the middle on the documentation issue. I dont need to swap addresses, im just saying, covering my butt IN CASE is in my best interest. as is making sure that the buyer understands that once he leaves, and does something stupid, its his ***, not mine.

I will consider the FFL, but a simple bill of sale, stating names, date, and serial will be the least i will do to feel safe.

thanks everyone. This forum is unbelievably helpful.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    I have sold some ftf like a the indy 1500, But I'll ask if the buyer has a carry permit, If not then I will not sell to him or her, I figure that covers me

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    If someone wants to glance at my DL or LTCH, I'm fine with that, my thumb will be over the addy/name. Beyond that, I'd tell them to pound sand.

And that shows what, that you have a drivers license and possibly acquired a LTCH out of someones glovebox.

At absolute bar minimum, I'm seeing a drivers license, an LTCH, and matching the names.

Never sold a gun, but anytime i've ever sold a car, I've had a notarized BOS for both parties, and I would probably do it for a gun as well. On a gun BOS I would note that the notary saw the LTCH too.

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    This exact topic is what brought me to these forums. When I recently sold a handgun, I first called local, county and state police and they didn't have a lot of info. I was then referred to the ATF for more answers. That's when I stumbled upon INGO and found threads like this one. I've also read that the Brady Bill supercedes the state level requirements of transfer of ownership? Sooooooo, basically, there are 2 sets of legal requirements to adhere to?? State and Federal level?? Am I getting this all twisted or what?

jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Another viewpoint to consider is the potential aid a bill of sale could offer to law enforcement. Let's say the cops show up saying that they have reason to believe a gun in my possession was used in a crime. If I've sold the gun prior to the crime or bought it after the crime that bill of sale might not save me in the event of being prosecuted, but it could provide valuable evidence to the cops to help catch the bad guy and keep me from being prosecuted in the first place. The bill of sale might not save me in court but it could help make sure the right person gets prosecuted in the first place.

(Note: I have no idea how the cops would know what guns are or have been in my possession--it's just a hypothetical situation...)

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    This exact topic is what brought me to these forums. When I recently sold a handgun, I first called local, county and state police and they didn't have a lot of info. I was then referred to the ATF for more answers. That's when I stumbled upon INGO and found threads like this one. I've also read that the Brady Bill supercedes the state level requirements of transfer of ownership? Sooooooo, basically, there are 2 sets of legal requirements to adhere to?? State and Federal level?? Am I getting this all twisted or what?

Yes there are two sets of rules but they mesh fairly well. IOW, the laws in IN pretty well follow federal laws except you can't buy a sawed-off shotgun in IN. In that case state law is more strict than federal law so that's OK.

I guess if state law was more lenient & in conflict with federal law then federal law would win.

Top Bottom