• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Paper work or not, once the gun leaves your possession it can and will land where it may. You have no control over that aspect of it's travels. You will however protect yourself to a point with a receipt. Now said receipt will only go so far and that ain't much without witness and notary. I could sit down and write them all night for any body. Pretty useless. Ask me how I know.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Just try to use federal law and my lawyer will laugh you out of court. It is a STATE law and it is not required.

They would have to prove intent to traffic the controlled item across state lines to bust you on federal charges and it would require a federal agent to do it. Indiana police do not enforce federal laws, they do not have the authority to do so.

I always ask the person, "Are you legally allowed to purchase a firearm in the state if Indiana?" When they answer to the positive you are legally in the clear.

This is an aside to my own feelings on the matter, if they seem shady or if anything is wrong I can terminate the sale at my discretion. I doubt this would ever happen because I always have a conversation with them first.

But would you sell to me? :spend:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    lets say you are right. the person you sold the weapon to kills somebody, is a felon, and an all around bad person. you stand in the court room and say, "i asked him if he legally allowed to purchase a firearm in the state of indiana." and yes that is all you have to do. you get to go free. you are an innocent person. but what happens when the story hits the news paper? the lefties crawl out of the wood work and demand the laws be changed. you may have covered yourself, but damned the rest of us.
    were as same scenario, you asked to see drivers lisence and a bill of sale with a signature. it does not matter if both where faked, it looks better in the news story, because you did not do just the bare minimum. you did extra just to be sure. if he faked his id, then that is not yours or anyone elses fault. the lefties wont have a leg to stand on.

Yeah, I am sure the local media would put that part in there too, NOT

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Just try to use federal law and my lawyer will laugh you out of court. It is a STATE law and it is not required.

They would have to prove intent to traffic the controlled item across state lines to bust you on federal charges and it would require a federal agent to do it. Indiana police do not enforce federal laws, they do not have the authority to do so.

I always ask the person, "Are you legally allowed to purchase a firearm in the state if Indiana?" When they answer to the positive you are legally in the clear.

This is an aside to my own feelings on the matter, if they seem shady or if anything is wrong I can terminate the sale at my discretion. I doubt this would ever happen because I always have a conversation with them first.

Exactly, all he has to do is call the State Police to take you in. :cool:

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Comic books. nice one.:rolleyes:
    Here is what i am going to do.
    When i sell a fire arm, i will see a drivers license, ltch, and they will sign a bill of sale, that will have the serial number of the fire arm, date, price of purchase, names, and signatures. If not there will be no sale.
    I will continue to protect myself, the person who purchases from me, and every other resposible gun owner. i will do that by not being foolish. by not going by gut instinct. i will act as if every gun hating person is watching me, waiting for me to make a mistake. I wont.

The easiest remedy for your paranoia would perhaps be not to sell any firearms at all, as it worries you so much.

The more you type, the more I wonder whether Sarah Brady is your aunt or your wife.

Troll harder, Rich. Troll much harder. I award you merely 3 of 10 possible points. :popcorn:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    You don't even know the law and you are arguing!:rolleyes:

Actually, I know the law much better than you and I am not arguing, I am asking.

I want you to play the part of your ISP trooper that is going to be called on me for selling a firearm to a private individual and I want to know what you will say and what crime (if any) you would charge me with.

Be sure to back it up with the relevant IC and case law where applicable.

I'll wait.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Actually, I know the law much better than you and I am not arguing, I am asking.

I want you to play the part of your ISP trooper that is going to be called on me for selling a firearm to a private individual and I want to know what you will say and what crime (if any) you would charge me with.

I'll wait.

I wouldn't wait too long if I were you. At some point you'll need to get some sleep. :):

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I'll wait.

:popcorn:

tsalazar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    NWI
    I've only did it one time and it went very well. I would suggest having a phone conversation (or a couple) before the sale to get a feel of the person you are dealing with. If you don't feel comfortable at any point just call it off. You can always go through a medium like a gun store. (For a small fee.)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've only did it one time and it went very well. I would suggest having a phone conversation (or a couple) before the sale to get a feel of the person you are dealing with. If you don't feel comfortable at any point just call it off. You can always go through a medium like a gun store. (For a small fee.)

I like to take them to dinner. Maybe a walk on the beach.

Seriously, these threads devolve into playground pissing contests so fast these days.

"My dad knows more about the law than you and he says the cops will arrest you if you don't get a BOS."
    "Yeah? well my dad says you're giving into the liberal nanny state if you ask for a BOS."
    "Uh uh!"
    "Yes so!"

I'm waiting for Richard to ask what happens when you sell a gun to a normal guy who happens to turn out the be the Antichrist and then goes on a massive killing spree using that gun and end of days is upon us.

"What are you going to do when Jesus comes to your house saying your gun is being used in league with Satan to kill kill Christians?"

"I'll have a receipt so I can get into heaven!"

:cool:

Toucan Sam's right - just follow your nose.

But if a BOS is what you need to sleep at night; then fine knit a freakin' quilt with all your BOS papers. Me, most of my records have the buyer listed as 'A Guy' - waiting for the day when it can be 'A Girl'. Step right up ladies.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I wouldn't wait too long if I were you. At some point you'll need to get some sleep. :):

What is a FTF transaction? For private party transactions (those not conducted by an FFL), both parties must be residents of the same state. A private transaction is commonly referred to as an “FTF” or face-to-face transaction. In a private sale it is a good idea (though not legally required in Indiana) to ask to see the persons driver’s license and handgun license. This is to verify age and residency, and a handgun license means the person has had a background check. For peace of mind, you can always go to a gun dealer, and have him do the transfer. The gun dealer will probably charge a fee of $20-$50.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...olvers/92851-out_of_state_sales_reminder.html

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I like to take them to dinner. Maybe a walk on the beach.

Seriously, these threads devolve into playground pissing contests so fast these days.

"My dad knows more about the law than you and he says the cops will arrest you if you don't get a BOS."
    "Yeah? well my dad says you're giving into the liberal nanny state if you ask for a BOS."
    "Uh uh!"
    "Yes so!"

I'm waiting for Richard to ask what happens when you sell a gun to a normal guy who happens to turn out the be the Antichrist and then goes on a massive killing spree using that gun and end of days is upon us.

"What are you going to do when Jesus comes to your house saying your gun is being used in league with Satan to kill kill Christians?"

"I'll have a receipt so I can get into heaven!"

:cool:

Toucan Sam's right - just follow your nose.

But if a BOS is what you need to sleep at night; then fine knit a freakin' quilt with all your BOS papers. Me, most of my records have the buyer listed as 'A Guy' - waiting for the day when it can be 'A Girl'. Step right up ladies.

what happens when you sell a gun to a normal guy who happens to be the antichrist?
    Crap!!!!! you beat me to it.
    i will first to say, most of the scenarios i posted are very far fetched, but could happen.
    i have said my opinion, its now up to you and yours. i hope every one has a nice day, and enjoy and love we live in a country that allows us all to have different opinions and a place to voice them.

Top Bottom