Face to Face Gun sales. Where do people usually meet?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I think I'd pick somewhere like Gander Mountain or a parking lot of a gun store. I'd also limit the transaction to holders of Indiana licenses to carry. I'd like the peace of mind knowing that the person I am selling to has been through a background check. YMMV

Revelations

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    NW IND/ Tampa Bay
    I havent done a FtF in Indiana, yet.

But I would think any sort of public place would work. Parking lot of Walmart, Gander, Bass Pro, ect.

I know people say they want to see the persons pink LTCH and I would probably want to see it to if I sold a gun to someone. But can you really be certain the card hasnt been revoked? Also would you request to look at their DL to verify the LTCH is in the same name?

I ask cause I have a M4gery Im thinking about listing for sale and a FtF would be fine with me.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Once was in a parking lot near my workplace, and once was in my home (I knew the person).

Anymore, whether I know the person or not, I meet at a gunstore and transfer it through an FFL.

Josh <><

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Anymore, whether I know the person or not, I meet at a gunstore and transfer it through an FFL.
    I know that some gun shops do private transfers for a very modest fee. C.N.I. Inc in Crown Point, IN will charge the buyer $10 in a private transfer. I was in there Friday buying a couple of AR15 lowers and a lady walked in to inquire about transferring some guns from "grampa" to the "kids" and the owner quoted $10 after finding out that the "kids" were all of legal age.

There are other FFLs that provide similar service at modest prices. But check around, I know one shop that charges $50 for transfers.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    The local shop (the one I'll deal with anyway) charges $25 for face to face and will do an FFL to FFL transfer for $50. A little high, but his reasons are valid I think.

Josh <><

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The local shop (the one I'll deal with anyway) charges $25 for face to face and will do an FFL to FFL transfer for $50. A little high, but his reasons are valid I think.

Josh <><

I was paying $50 for FFL to FFL transfers and had purchased several guns over a couple month period. I arranged to have 2 more shipped into my dealer and asked if I could have a break and he said NOPE, $100 for the transfer of two. That is when I went shopping around, stopped in a small shop that I have driven past 1000 times. Its not well stocked, dimly lit and pretty dirty too. But what the heck, I asked the guy behind the counter and he said Distributor or MFG to his store, charge is $50. FFL to FFL is $25. Private sale transfer is $10.

I've done about a dozen transfers with them this past month and they are great to deal with. I wanted some stuff he didn't stock, looked it up, quoted me a price and I had it in about 3 days. Went scope shopping and again walked in and asked for a price, he quoted me a price that was about $100 cheaper than the best price I found on the auction sites, internet, etc. Again, I had it in only a few days.

Stopped in last week and did a triple transfer, he charged me $50 for the whole thing, but based on his "quoted price" schedule it should have been $125 because 2 of the transfers were from a manufacturer & 1 was from another FFL. I don't begrudge anyone a fair profit. I simply asked what the fee was, he quoted it, I didn't haggle him down. Based on what he has charged me, and based on the number of transfers I done through them, he has saved me a few hundred dollars this past year, and I've provided him a few hundred dollars in profit at the same time. That seems fair to me.

It obviously pays to ask at various shops to see what they charge.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    That is when I went shopping around, stopped in a small shop that I have driven past 1000 times. Its not well stocked, dimly lit and pretty dirty too. But what the heck, I asked the guy behind the counter and he said Distributor or MFG to his store, charge is $50. FFL to FFL is $25. Private sale transfer is $10.

. I don't begrudge anyone a fair profit. I simply asked what the fee was, he quoted it, I didn't haggle him down. Based on what he has charged me, and based on the number of transfers I done through them, he has saved me a few hundred dollars this past year, and I've provided him a few hundred dollars in profit at the same time. That seems fair to me.

It obviously pays to ask at various shops to see what they charge.

I would give a guy like this about 90% of my business. Even if a few items weren't the cheapest around.

Top Bottom