• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    I feel honored that someone joined the site in order to correct someone in a thread I created while drinking my 4th cup of coffee yesterday Morning May 17th in the year of our lord twenty-fourteen!

Does that count as a run-on-and-on sentence?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It was a 4 ship of F15E strike eagles with the 335FS from Seymour Johnson AFB. It was a missing man formation honoring the late Col James Kasler.

And no, F14s are in no way shape or form better than an Eagle of any variety.

Remauto1187, these are dual role. The camaro comparison is pretty short sighted

Well, I can think of 3 areas the F-14 is better.
    1) Carrier Take-Off
    2) Carrier Landing.
    3) Variable geometry wings allowing interception at maximum distance from carrier, but then swing into combat mode.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Had what appeared to be a warthog fly over Pendleton area this morning. Weird I thought they got
    mothballed lately. They used to use this area lots I guess because of the Mt. Comfort airport nearby.

It it was nothing in the 1980's to see a ton of a-10's flying around the area. This one just passed by.

I think they JUST decided to mothball them, or are nearly done doing so. Hell, they may still be deciding. Shame to see them go if it happens. Taliban will be happy though.

I just want to see an apache gunship limp back to base missing an engine and half of its control surfaces. Wait, what? Only an A10 can do that? two words. Bad. a**.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    1) Carrier Take-Off
    2) Carrier Landing.
    3) Variable geometry wings allowing interception at maximum distance from carrier, but then swing into combat mode.
    im ashamed of you Actaeon, being a Navy guy and all, you didn't even mention the fact that the Tomcats sexiness is leaps and bounds above the flying chicken:D

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I'm not 100% sure, but I read that the flyover would be a private team of L-39 Czec-made trainers. I can't remember where I read it, though. I'd MUCH rather it be a trio of Eagles.

Edit...Sorry for the dupe. Someone posted this earlier in the thread, with a link. These will be cool, but I'd still prefer the Eagles. Even better would be a flight of F-22's!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    FWIW, the Indy Grand Prix also had a private demonstration team do the fly over. Not all that invigorating to hear the hum of a few modern prop planes buzzing the speedway. If they were war birds with the radial engine roar that would be 1 thing, but a flat 6 just doesn't do it for me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1) Carrier Take-Off
    2) Carrier Landing.

The F-14 is just a damn sexy aircraft.

In its intended roll It was and would still be #1

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    (2) F-14's could fly umbrella for a carrier and support. What was there coverage range on fire and forget......How many targets could 2 of these cover with no issues.

Coverage varied on payload.
    Phoenix missiles had a ginormous range (100nm). But they were primarily anti-bomber.
    AIM-54 Phoenix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Too keep them (Tu-16 Badgers and Tu-22 Backfires) from launching long range anti-ship missiles.

The AIM-54/AWG-9 combination was the first to have multiple track capability (up to 24 targets) and launch (up to 6 Phoenixes can be launched nearly simultaneously)

And, the Phoenix was originally supposed to be on an interceptor version of the F-111, also a swing wing.
    But, they sucked to start with. And putting equipment on to make it carrier capable just made them worse.
    So, they used lessons learned, and designed the F-14.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Coverage varied on payload.
    Phoenix missiles had a ginormous range (100nm). But they were primarily anti-bomber.
    AIM-54 Phoenix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Too keep them (Tu-16 Badgers and Tu-22 Backfires) from launching long range anti-ship missiles.

And, the Phoenix was originally supposed to be on an interceptor version of the F-111, also a swing wing.
    But, they sucked to start with. And putting equipment on to make it carrier capable just made them worse.
    So, they used lessons learned, and designed the F-14.

So 100 miles in any direction.......

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So 100 miles in any direction.......

Well, kinda.
    100nm is 115 miles (statute)

And, the range varies on height of target, and launching aircraft, air density, etc.
    This is an approximation.

Oh, and FYI.....
    The speed of the phoenix is.....
    (approx.) MACH 5...
    or 3,836 mph.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    At Norfolk NAS (Naval Air Station), next to Norfolk Naval Base, I was able to stand in front of a F-14 breaking in new engines with the engines spooled up.

IT
    WAS
    AWESOME

Ruger-9mm

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2014
    Out and about
    I'm just amazed at what the Iranians have been able to do wtih the Tomcats they still have. Supposedly they took them all through pretty much a complete rebuild in the past few years, and this is with no access to spare parts. They've supposedly sacrificed a few of the most banged up machines for guides to build new parts.

Back to the point of the thread, I haven't seen the F-16's, but as close to Attebury as we are, I've seen plenty of C-130's this week, and one Blackhawk that circled the neighborhood pretty much on the deck.

Top Bottom