• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    as well as twin tails on teh F15, the under scoop on the F16 etc.... The F15 is the CTS-V of the fighter world... Big, brutal and fast. THe F-16 is the Elise. Smaller, lighter, nimble.

Thats almost laughable. Apparently you're not familar with the F/A18 E&F (Superhornets) or even the F/A18 A-D (Hornets)......There is a reason they are DUAL Mission. Both Fighter and Attack Jets. The F-15 is a Camaro Berlinetta at the most. :rolleyes:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Its possible that the Indiana Air National Guard is footing the bill for a fly over. Either that, or they are qualifying pilots to fly the F-16's, as they are replacing the states A-10 Warthogs (huge mistake IMO).

The planes that flew over DT and the norf side WERE NOT F16's. Get the whole "F16" thing out of your heads. They were F15's.... and last I checked we don't have any F15's stationed in Indiana.... unless Terre Haute flipped from -16's to -15's.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    As a guy who gets to spend this weekend on the flightline in Ft. Wayne with them, I take offense at you calling my girl ugly!

Oh no, I think they are the most brutal, awesome thing to ever beat the air into submission. OTHER'S think they are ugly.

and yes, I know about the F/A-18's. They killed off my favorite hugenormous fighter ever, the F14. The F-15E is a lot like the -18E/F SH. it's a revamp of an existing aircraft to be better at everything.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Terrorizing? friggen idiots. SMDH

I had to go see for myself. "terrorizing" is taken out of context. They said "the noise was loud and terrorizing". I don't think they meant that "fighter jets are terrorists", just that they were startled.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Oh no, I think they are the most brutal, awesome thing to ever beat the air into submission. OTHER'S think they are ugly.

and yes, I know about the F/A-18's. They killed off my favorite hugenormous fighter ever, the F14. The F-15E is a lot like the -18E/F SH. it's a revamp of an existing aircraft to be better at everything.
    Even the Tomcat (in retirement) tops the 15. I was there in 1995 on the USS Theodore Roosevelt CVN71 when the F-14 Tomcat (which is mission designed to be a fighter air to air combat) was used as an Attack aircraft and used to drop ordnance in Bosnia. They left fully loaded and all come back empty.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    you're just a Navy fanboi! Everyone knows that low and slow is how you kill bad guys. The navy used to do that and then they went all high-tech!

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    See now, here's the thing with F15s & F16s you don't see them till they've flattened their target. An A-10 you hear coming from 10 miles away! As a hostile that's gotta be the longest most nerve wrecking thing ever. It's coming, and unless you can throw a mountain at it, it's gonna get you! Once those Gats open up BBBUUUUUUUURRRR!!! Now your buddies are laughing because an A-10 just farted on ya with 30mm rounds!

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    See now, here's the thing with F15s & F16s you don't see them till they've flattened their target. An A-10 you hear coming from 10 miles away! As a hostile that's gotta be the longest most nerve wrecking thing ever. It's coming, and unless you can throw a mountain at it, it's gonna get you! Once those Gats open up BBBUUUUUUUURRRR!!! Now your buddies are laughing because an A-10 just farted on ya with 30mm rounds!

I'm sorry... but you are completely full of ****. I grew up on the A-10's route from Grissom to Atterbury. They flew the entire flight at tree-top level. You could be sitting outside, on the deck in the sun and never know they were around until that first plane flew over your head. They would be so low you could see the color of the pilot's helmet in that bathtub. Absolutely silent until that first plane was past, then you were looking up for others. They always flew in 2 flights of two. you heard them after the fact. In fact, if you heard an A-10 and they were shooting at you, you would already be dead.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    I'm sorry... but you are completely full of ****. I grew up on the A-10's route from Grissom to Atterbury. They flew the entire flight at tree-top level. You could be sitting outside, on the deck in the sun and never know they were around until that first plane flew over your head. They would be so low you could see the color of the pilot's helmet in that bathtub. Absolutely silent until that first plane was past, then you were looking up for others. They always flew in 2 flights of two. you heard them after the fact. In fact, if you heard an A-10 and they were shooting at you, you would already be dead.

I was trying to build a little suspense in my story.... Thanks for ruining it. My point being an F15& F16 usually take a target out and are never seen by witnesses. Everyone and their brother in the next State know it was an A-10 when it engages a target.

So, does Wright Patterson have F15s or are the closest still based in Missouri?

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It's not the size of your jet that counts. It's how quickly and silently you can reach your target, destroy it, and exit the hot zone.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If it is the Indiana Air National Guard - all the flight operations out of Terre Haute have been distributed elsewhere. I'm not sure if "all" were moved to Ft. Wayne or not.

My wife's grandpa lives due south of the airport up there. Flights of A-10s over his property all the time. It's awesome. I've not personally seen any F-16s fly over - but I'm rarely there.

[Cool Story Bro] I used to work with a big piece of machinery like this: CME-550X Rubber Tire ATV Mounted Drill | Central Mine Equipment Company One day, we were working on a bridge replacement to the north and west of Grissom AFB. This was the early 2000s. No idea the actual year. Anyhow - that particular day, there was some joint maneuvers going on with the airborne refueling wing out of Grissom and some F16s from somewhere.

It was full-on summer, so the trees were in full summer foliage. We were under some pretty big trees... But those F-16s managed to find us. No joke - they were using our big yellow drill rig as a mock "target". If not - it sure looked like it. They'd come in lined up right at us...then peel off a mile away or so. (really, a mile isn't that far - especially with how big and fast fighter jets are). [/Cool Story Bro]

-J-

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I was trying to build a little suspense in my story.... Thanks for ruining it. My point being an F15& F16 usually take a target out and are never seen by witnesses. Everyone and their brother in the next State know it was an A-10 when it engages a target.

So, does Wright Patterson have F15s or are the closest still based in Missouri?

Ahhh.... gotcha. Yeah, once it's over anyone left standing knows what it was. But that's the thing, there's nothing left standing ;)

I was wondering the same. I guessed WPAFB.

Top Bottom