• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    My wife doesn’t work so she really has no say in what I spend my hard earned money on. As long as she has a roof some food and can occasionally buy a new Somthing she wants it’s all good

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    But honey, trust me it’s a long term investment. I’m beginning to sound like Ralph Kramden on the Honeymooners.
    Hummma, humma! :spend:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I work side jobs for my gun money. Sometimes I'll drop a check into our savings too. Guns don't come from the general fund.
    When I was married that's how I did it.
    I can say I never had to sell to pay a bill or five doing it that way.
    I have cousins with a store in MD and I made payments when buying for years.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have discovered that when you get into the suppressor game, you have a whole new list of reasons to buy new guns…

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I work side jobs for my gun money. Sometimes I'll drop a check into our savings too. Guns don't come from the general fund.
    Makes no sense to me. General funds are those I have. Money not in the general fund is money I don't have: like someone else's money. How do you get other people to pay for your guns?

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Makes no sense to me. General funds are those I have. Money not in the general fund is money I don't have: like someone else's money. How do you get other people to pay for your guns?
    I think he means that his regular "40hr/week income" covers the bills and regular household expenses. If he wants to buy a gun he works some overtime or takes on a side job for extra money to pay for the gun instead of taking "gun money" out of his regular income. That's typically how I do it as well, and it's worked out pretty well over the years.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I try doing the same thing since i don't work a real job because of my neck and back problems. I hold on to what little i get for what i want or really need. 3 weeks ago i had 700 saved but the gf got sick and i had to put money in bank. I had a few ar15 parts i needed and a case of ammo.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I think he means that his regular "40hr/week income" covers the bills and regular household expenses. If he wants to buy a gun he works some overtime or takes on a side job for extra money to pay for the gun instead of taking "gun money" out of his regular income. That's typically how I do it as well, and it's worked out pretty well over the years.
    Exactly. No impact on the family. Bills are paid.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I guess I didn't explain myself well enough. I only have one pile of money. Period. That pile consists of my regular income, my retirement income, my wife's, income, etc. It all goes into the checking account. That is my 'general fund'. If I work overtime, I have a bit more money in the pot. If I take an unpaid day, I have a bit less money in the pot. I have probably spent $7,000 to $10,000 on guns and/or ammo in the last 3 years. All my bills get paid, on time. The main take away is that I only have one pot of money. If I want or need to buy something, I do so. If my wife wants or needs to buy something she does so. We don't live extravagantly, or beyond our means, so the is never any "impact on the family".
    How do you (or anyone else) maintain multiple pots of money? This is for groceries, that is for utilities, some other pot is for guns, shoes, pet care, new car, whatever. Isn't all the same pot of money? Yours? How does it complicate your life to manage multiple pots of money? When you save for something/anything like a gun, or a new car, or Christmas presents, where do you put that money? Isn't it still yours? Isn't it still in your total liquid assets or available credit? If you are saving for X, and suddenly the need to spend on Y comes up, don't you have to use X money for Y? If so, isn't all your money really in one pot? If not, are you printing money? Don't answer that, we all know ATF talks to IRS, who talks to the Secret Service.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I guess I didn't explain myself well enough. I only have one pile of money. Period. That pile consists of my regular income, my retirement income, my wife's, income, etc. It all goes into the checking account. That is my 'general fund'. If I work overtime, I have a bit more money in the pot. If I take an unpaid day, I have a bit less money in the pot. I have probably spent $7,000 to $10,000 on guns and/or ammo in the last 3 years. All my bills get paid, on time. The main take away is that I only have one pot of money. If I want or need to buy something, I do so. If my wife wants or needs to buy something she does so. We don't live extravagantly, or beyond our means, so the is never any "impact on the family".
    How do you (or anyone else) maintain multiple pots of money? This is for groceries, that is for utilities, some other pot is for guns, shoes, pet care, new car, whatever. Isn't all the same pot of money? Yours? How does it complicate your life to manage multiple pots of money? When you save for something/anything like a gun, or a new car, or Christmas presents, where do you put that money? Isn't it still yours? Isn't it still in your total liquid assets or available credit? If you are saving for X, and suddenly the need to spend on Y comes up, don't you have to use X money for Y? If so, isn't all your money really in one pot? If not, are you printing money? Don't answer that, we all know ATF talks to IRS, who talks to the Secret Service.
    Exactly the reason it take me a long time to purchase anything related to firearms...something always comes up.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    I guess its a perception on how one manages their money. Like me when I was self employed, I always had what I called a back up fund in a separate savings account, plus some cash on hand in the safe. Being self employed you can't live pay check to pay check. With a mortgage and a truck payment, I am by no means living debt free, but I still manage my money that way.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    My now ex was introduced to firearms by me. We did some shooting classes and I let her try ones I had. We went to quite a few gun shows together as well.

Her collection grew at a much faster rate than mine. She ended up owning more rifles and pistols than I did(with some choices I would not have made like .40cal pistols including the one she carries).

I have never had to ask about purchasing a firearm.

As some others have said how you control you finances matters. We had a paid for house, 3 boats, 4wheelers, snowmobiles, 4 vehicles, tractors, and no payments. If you only have a few monthly bills it changes quite a few things. We both maintained our own checking accounts and had one joint one we both feed for monthly bills like electricity and insurance.

Last edited:

Michigan Slim

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    It's easy. I get checks for my side work and they get turned into 100.00 bills. Those go into my safe. My regular pay goes into checking and savings , the "general fund". Separate. Apart. Not together. Get it now?

Top Bottom