• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flash-hider

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    I don't have a wife and ain't that tight in a relationship with any female friend. So, I've eliminated that layer of bureaucracy that apparently some of you fellows have to jump through. It goes along with my smaller central government ideology.

• Haha
    Reactions: Mij

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Am not married. Used to be.
    Never was an issue.
    The dead coyote by the back deck stairs, when I didnt tell her I shot one.....yeah that and a tick in the dryer lint trap. That stuff caused a bit of ire

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yes I'm aware, how many years will it take for you to get the difference back along with you still working.
    Max benefit at 67 & 6 months is $3.822 a month on SS. So that will gross $167,000 dollars you can invest before you turn 70 and still live and add to your SS with still working.
    if you work until 70 its now $4,873 a month on SS. The break over is like 13+years and thats without the interest from the 167,000 you saved before turning 70.
    Will it matter when you are like 85? will you be alive at 85?
    Help me understand?
    Missed this somehow. I am only working until 65 when I am Medicare eligible. I really could get out now and pay for insurance for 6 months but I'm building a really nice deck and wanted to complete it with paycheck money and not retirement funds. My FRA and max SS benefits are not as high as yours. You must have made much more money in your 35 years than I did.

I do understand that one should consider the break even point. As we all know, the one big unknown is how long will we live. My dad died at 68(cancer), mom is still living at 96.

The way I have it calculated, I can live comfortably on retirement funds for the five years until I turn 70. Then after that I can finish out my life comfortably on my SS benefits. If I die before my wife, she will then carry on with a bigger SS paycheck.

If I take SS at FRA, it will be tight and I might have to take on part time work. I probably will do some stuff to make money, but I want it to be a choice, not a requirement. You know. work for awhile to save up some money for a bigger purchase or some kind of epic trip so I don't have to tap to deeply into my funds.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Missed this somehow. I am only working until 65 when I am Medicare eligible. I really could get out now and pay for insurance for 6 months but I'm building a really nice deck and wanted to complete it with paycheck money and not retirement funds. My FRA and max SS benefits are not as high as yours. You must have made much more money in your 35 years than I did.

I do understand that one should consider the break even point. As we all know, the one big unknown is how long will we live. My dad died at 68(cancer), mom is still living at 96.

The way I have it calculated, I can live comfortably on retirement funds for the five years until I turn 70. Then after that I can finish out my life comfortably on my SS benefits. If I die before my wife, she will then carry on with a bigger SS paycheck.

If I take SS at FRA, it will be tight and I might have to take on part time work. I probably will do some stuff to make money, but I want it to be a choice, not a requirement. You know. work for awhile to save up some money for a bigger purchase or some kind of epic trip so I don't have to tap to deeply into my funds.
    I understand the how long do you live thing.
    If your math works for you, excellent.
    Did you post before that you weren't going to work from 65 to 70 yrs old?
    My Dad died at 82 and my mom is now 86.
    I'm about 15% below the monthly SS max.
    That's what I live on along with some of my pension check.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I understand the how long do you live thing.
    If your math works for you, excellent.
    Did you post before that you weren't going to work from 65 to 70 yrs old?
    My Dad died at 82 and my mom is now 86.
    I'm about 15% below the monthly SS max.
    That's what I live on along with some of my pension check.
    I did say I was retiring at 65, but my bad, I did not specifically say I wouldn't be working. I guess I assumed that when I said I was retiring, it would be understood that I was stopping working.

Classic case of what goes on in forums. Most of us, especially me, are not Shakespeare and without body language, voice inflection and the ability to quickly ask a clarifying question, messages can be subject to our own thinking.

And again, my bad for assuming.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Uh, Sweetheart, I’m off to a local gun shop to look around and I might just buy something.
    Response: No problem, just remember our trip to Europe is coming up.
    Me: Yes dear!

INP8riot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rockville
    Better spend it on something that could be liquidated in the future because that cash you've been squirreling away isn't going to be worth squat in the near future! No more petrol dollar = massive inflation.

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Portage
    The real question is how many shoes she has bought that you don't know about. Some of those shoes cost over $100 a pair. Does she own any Rothy's shoes.

bold115uc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2024
    Milan
    I almost always use “oh I’ve had that one for a while now” or “they were practically giving them away with how cheap it was, I can’t lose money on it if I were to sell it, especially in a few years.”

Top Bottom