Ever consider if your EDC would stop a polar bear?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    An older story, but it recently popped up an another forum I visit.

Pictured: Shocking moment polar bear attacks woman who climbed into zoo enclosure | Mail Online

In short, woman hops into the enclosure (probably going to ask the bear if he had any Coke) and the bear mistakes her for a walrus. Seeing the picture, its an easy mistake to make, and no jury in the world would convict the bear for attempting to eat said walrus-woman.

The obvious question is why the bear has such poor tactics and let her get so close. What? Oh, ok. The obvious question is had you been at the zoo, would you have shot the polar bear to attempt to save her? I have to admit I'm really on the fence about this, as if she'd stayed off the fence it wouldn't have happened. She invades the bear's home, swims up to him, looks like a clear case of residential entry with unknown motive to me. I'd support the bear.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Actually I have thought about it. My ECD is a .45 acp. I doubt that one shot would do it. For grizzly country, I do venture into the wilderness occasionally, I carry a .44 mag with 300 grain bullets. Even with that firepower, better be a head shot to stop a bear quickly. Hope I never find out!

For the scenario you posted, I agree with Leash, I wouldn't shoot the bear.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Let's add another factor. Suppose it was a close family member or friend? (Regardless of how stupid their actions)

And even if you still wouldn't shoot, what then?

If I had a family member that stupid, I would have already taken out a large insurance policy on them. So I would call my insurance agent and collect. :)

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Mine would....

th

Seriously though the bear was just doing what bears naturally do. If anything was to be shot it should have been the stupid lady. IMO

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    If you choose to climb over a fence and to go into an enclosure with a potentially dangerous/fatal animal at a zoo... You will get what's coming to you and I wouldn't have any compassion for you.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    An older story, but it recently popped up an another forum I visit.

Pictured: Shocking moment polar bear attacks woman who climbed into zoo enclosure | Mail Online

In short, woman hops into the enclosure (probably going to ask the bear if he had any Coke) and the bear mistakes her for a walrus. Seeing the picture, its an easy mistake to make, and no jury in the world would convict the bear for attempting to eat said walrus-woman.

The obvious question is why the bear has such poor tactics and let her get so close. What? Oh, ok. The obvious question is had you been at the zoo, would you have shot the polar bear to attempt to save her? I have to admit I'm really on the fence about this, as if she'd stayed off the fence it wouldn't have happened. She invades the bear's home, swims up to him, looks like a clear case of residential entry with unknown motive to me. I'd support the bear.

.45 ACP.....it would stand abetter chance than some rounds. :)

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The bear is already removed from it's natural home, it's already in a fenced in cage, it's already forced to eat what the zoo provides, already has little privacy... the bear lacks any freedom at all really, except to move around in the enclosure it has when naturally they roam for miles on end. Shooting the bear would do nothing more than state 'it has no right to self defense' given it's about the last and only right not taken from it already.

If anything, I would help the bear (not like it's necessary) as in this case, the woman is an intruder in the bear's dwelling or home, and would be a 'victim' of said intrusion.

No mercy for the stupid... among others.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    She made a choice so, no, I would not shoot the bear. Your EDC wouldn't stop the bear anyway. Just make him angry.

Top Bottom