Ever been hit by a car while riding a bicycle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I pay taxes to use the roads (plates-fuel-Dr. Lic.-etc.) have to be insured and follow "ALL" of the rules. Start making these folks plate the bikes, carry some form of insurance and get a permit not un-like a MC stamp. Then they can pay for the damage from wrecks caused from their mis-conduct. I see it all the time. Just saying.

Edit...I always try to give runners and bikes a wide birth. No one really wants to hit or scare one of those folks but the roads are for getting from A to B at a given speed limit. Please do not run or walk down a 2 lane blocking traffic...wear the right reflective gear so I can see you at twighlight or in the dark......Get out of the way on a 40 MPH 2 lane as I do have places to be. Find a route if possible to get you and me there (point B) safely......Again, just saying

And I would appreciate it if drivers paid attention and not break the law so we don't get hit.

PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    Been hit twice on a bike and once on a motorcycle.
    All 3 times it was the other persons fault, one lady was digging thru her purse the other 2 were cell phone related.
    2 of the accidents I walked away from the other I lost part of my left heel and couldn't walk for 6 months.

Caldad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    No, that's to ordinary for me :cool: - I did it the other way around... I broadsided a moving car while on my bicycle. :ugh:

I was a young, stupid, invincible teenager growing up in Phoenix, AZ. :tumbleweed: I was riding super fast parallel to 19th ave (I think it was six lanes of traffic, with a middle dividing lane), when I came to the intersection of Orangewood, I looked at the light, swore it was red, and traffic was stopped, turned full speed into the crosswalk... got all the way to the next to the last lane and slammed into the side of a moving sedan. :runaway: From up on the hood I got a glimpse of the green light, and the other traffic moving. Was lucky, I went over the handle bars, up on the hood, and walked away with only bruises, a fast heart rate, and a realization that I wasn't always right. :stretcher: Awe, to be a teenager. :alright:

thindman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Indy
    I personally have not, but if my memory serves me correctly my brother was hit when we were kids. It ruined a very sweet evil knevil bike. It had the gas tank and everything. I think my oldest brother, who's bike it was, is still pissed about it to this day!

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I had a bicycle two or three years ago (and yes I kept the bell on it because I knew the law!) and put about 600 miles on it that summer, but I was constantly scared of the cars. I ended up selling it because I didn't want to get hit.

I run these days and won't listen to music because I want to be able to hear the cars coming up on me when I'm not on the sidewalks.

I never listen to my ipod except when I'm on a treadmill for the same reasons, don't want to be "zoned out" like so many others on the roads and trails.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    In the 80's I got hit by the mirror on a passing conversion van. Tagged me in the left shoulder/arm and knocked me to the ground. The bike was OK, but I was pretty shaken up. Driver never stopped.

Now, I ride a long wheelbase recumbent bike. Have a mirror on my helmet to watch behind me. Ride mostly county roads with limited traffic.

Did have one incident last summer. Old guy in a Chevy pick-up flagged me down and barked at me to stay off the road. He did not like the flashing lights on the rear of my bike. I ride with the rear lights on all the time. Even have a bell and wear a helmet. I was polite back to him and smiled the whole time. Reported him to the police the next day.

Top Bottom