Ever been hit by a car while riding a bicycle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Yep, car pulled in front of me in 1997 and I went over the hood. My brand new Trek 8000 was toast. His insurance paid me and I bought a new bike. I had on my helmet, and pretty much rolled over the hood and landed on my feet on the other side. I think he was more shook up then I.

As an aside, I get cheesed when cyclists don't obey the rules of the road too, but contrary to popular belief, many of us who have bicycles, also have cars. And pay taxes. I have a legal right to the road, please respect it. And yeah, there are a lot of ass holes out there, drivers and riders, lets cut each other some slack, and yeah, if you're in a 2 ton plus vehicle, you can afford to be a little patient, cuz' push comes to shove, you'll win, but at what cost. Just my .02

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I try to be extra careful and courteous, but still come across a lot of jerk car drivers.

Get bonked and my poor bike's going up the driver's arse, or at a minimum tossed through his windshield.

Too many close calls, run off the road, ride my tail (inches off my tire my bud said), throw things, curse..............usually some fat redneck who if they pedaled 100 yards would blow his/her heart out.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I can say I have now.

Crossing 38th street in Indianapolis a guy did a u-turn and kept on coming. A lady that saw it kept saying, "he just flew up into the air". I rolled over his hood and off the car when he stopped. He jumped out and said, "Please get up, please get up, I don't have a license.

My bike is toast.

I will be sore tomorrow.

A find ending for a great day.

I'm GLAD you didn't get hurt seriously.

On a lighter note, I once hit a car while I was riding a bicycle.

I was a kid in 2nd grade in the early 1960's.

A neighbor kid got a speedometer for his bike and I asked to ride his bike so i could see it work.

Got going down the street and was trying to see how fast I get get up to and not paying attention to where i was going.

I ran into the back of a parked car and hit so hard I flew over the back and came down on the road ahead of the driver's door.

Tore up the fork on my friend's bike and my dad had to pay to have it fixed.

Even as a young kid it REALLY hurt.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I don't own a car and don't want a car, that being said I haven't been hit yet. I do my best to reduce the chances as much as possible, such as using lights hiviz gear and hand signals (which seem to confuse some drivers even though it's in the drivers manual >_>) and also riding under the assumption that nobody sees me.

To the op I hope you don't have any long term injuries and heal up ok, I also hope the guy pays for you and your bike.

No injuries but a sore right wrist. I must have twisted or hit it going down.

The guy was not the owner of the car and did not have a license so they will have to get that info from the owner of the car.

He didn't really get out to check that I was OK, he got out to try and get me to stand up and say I was alright. He looked very shaken but then drove off. Now he will have to face a stiffer penalty than if he had just stayed, that is, if they can get his identity. The owner of the car will be pissed if the police find the car as it will be impounded.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Never been hit.....yet I still ride.
    I'm glad your gonna be ok. I'l also glad you didn't schoot the bad guy. He will get his just reward in jail.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Of course. The nice people where I got hit called the police and some gave descriptions. The police showed up and got the description of the vehicle and the license plate number. I can't tell you how I appreciated the concerned citizens.

See, 38th St ain't all that bad.... Actually, I'm kinda shocked that the person even stopped.

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    I've never been hit by a car while riding my Bike,

But

I have Hit a car while riding my bike.
    I wasn't paying attention and ran right into a Parked Car.
    My wife was laughing at me so hard she almost fell off of her's
    Good thing I wasn't pulling the Kids Trailer

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I've never been hit by a car while riding my Bike,

But

I have Hit a car while riding my bike.
    I wasn't paying attention and ran right into a Parked Car.
    My wife was laughing at me so hard she almost fell off of her's
    Good thing I wasn't pulling the Kids Trailer

WOW I'm not alone. I was hit by a bike while driving my truck. 14 year old girl skipping school hit passenger side fender and launched over hood. She begged me to put the bike in the truck and take her home but I insisted we call the cops. She had braces and was bleeding from the mouth pretty good. 14 county cops and 2 ambulances later she was off to the hospital. Cop wrote it up as my fault. Insurance guy said it was cheaper to pay and cancel me than to fight.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    I will admit I have ran into one of those Monon barriers on the Carmel side of the trail while on a group ride. I was going pretty fast too, flew right over the handlebars and over the barrier. I landed on my back but only got a cut on my knuckle, was pretty pissed I ran into one of those, made me want to cut them down.

Tebow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Whiting, IN
    Not exactly. Few years back me and some buddies were riding to a field for some football. We made the 'smart' decision to throw a few passes while we were riding. My buddy threw a pass to me, looked over my shoulder, ball fell into my hands and then I absolutely smoked a parked car. I did hold onto the ball though haha. :):

I hope the police find the guy and you're ok.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'd LOVE to hit most of the bicyclist's I see out riding around. They blow stop signs, stop lights, don't signal for turns, and ride 3-4 abreast and block traffic. Things people that drive cars would get tickets for. I'll respect bicyclist when they obey the traffic laws the same as automobiles. Do you know it's ILLEGAL for anyone to ride a bicycle in Indiana unless it's equipped with a horn or bell??

IC 9-21-11-8
    Bell or other audible signaling devices; sirens; whistles
    Sec. 8. A person may not ride a bicycle unless the bicycle is equipped with a bell or other device capable of giving a signal audible for a distance of at least one hundred (100) feet. A bicycle may not be equipped with and a person may not use upon a bicycle a siren or whistle. <<This applies to cops on the Monon Trail too.

IC 9-21-11-2
    Roadways; rights and duties
    Sec. 2. A person riding a bicycle upon a roadway has all the rights and duties under this article that are applicable to a person who drives a vehicle.

IC 9-21-11-1
    Parents and guardians; authorizing or permitting violation of chapter; bicycles; application of chapter
    Sec. 1. (a) The parent of a child and the guardian of a protected person may not authorize or knowingly permit the child or protected person to violate this chapter.

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]IC 9-21-11-14[/FONT]
    [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Violations; Class C infraction[/FONT]
    [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold] Sec. 14. A person who violates this chapter commits a Class C infraction.[/FONT]

I was riding the sidewalk and crossing with the crosswalk sign.

I agree with you though. I ask many riders if they know the laws for riding in the street. Most non riders don't know them either.

You can ride in a lane as a car with all the rights of a car until there are at least three cars behind you backed up, then you must pull over. It doesn't matter if you are a single rider or a group.

What burns me are those riders that ride the middle of a lane who could pull over and let cars pass but don't. What burns me more are those riding in the street next to the Cultural Trail built for them. I don't know if they realize the dangers of riding a nothing pound vehicle against a 1.5 ton vehicle.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Second day.

No bruises, no scraps. A sore right wrist.

All I can say is that I have a very long inseam and my bikes are very tall and the 95 Explorer is kind of round and at the right height so it just rolled me onto the hood. This Explorer had one of those plastic air dams at the hood and most of that was left at the scene. The only place I am sore is my wrist which must have been twisted or stressed when I hit the ground.

My bike is in worse shape than I am.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    I was riding the sidewalk and crossing with the crosswalk sign.

I agree with you though. I ask many riders if they know the laws for riding in the street. Most non riders don't know them either.

You can ride in a lane as a car with all the rights of a car until there are at least three cars behind you backed up, then you must pull over. It doesn't matter if you are a single rider or a group.

What burns me are those riders that ride the middle of a lane who could pull over and let cars pass but don't. What burns me more are those riding in the street next to the Cultural Trail built for them. I don't know if they realize the dangers of riding a nothing pound vehicle against a 1.5 ton vehicle.

The cultural trail is all fine and dandy but it's really too confusing and only goes certain places, many of which I don't go. So many times there's no point in using it when you're just going to leave it and use the street anyways.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The cultural trail is all fine and dandy but it's really too confusing and only goes certain places, many of which I don't go. So many times there's no point in using it when you're just going to leave it and use the street anyways.

Actually, I would be using it today if my bike was working. I will be picking up a rental car and it takes me about a block away from Avis across from the capital.

tmkr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    First of all I'm glad you are not beatup too bad.
    After reading a few of these posts i can confess my story,When I was a kid we lived in the sticks,still do,anyway was riding home form ponyleague baseball practice(7miles away,uphill both ways)I got to a house that had a dog that chased me everytime I went by.This particular day I hadn't paid much attention to the mailman when he passed me in his car a short distance before the dog's house.I had built up a pretty good head of steam figuring the dog would chase me,sure enough,here he came.I was pretty busy keeping the dog's teeth out of my pants leg and didn't notice the mailman stopped to drop off mail.I hit the mailmans car full speed,ended up kissing his rear window.He got out,chased the dog away and gave me a small can of pepper spray.Funny thing,I never had to use it,the dog seemed to have lost all interest in chasing me after that.:):
    Again,glad you're O.K.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Almost the same deal, Stupid dog, paper route, full bags on the bars, did I mention stupid dog. It always harassed and chased me. I was cooking down the street to the start of my route and the dog came out but I was ready for it. It lunged for my leg, I moved my foot and made a move, it went into the spokes on the rear wheel. Of course I crashed. Dog was hurt so bad it had to be put down and my bike was bent beyond repair. I was a mess and stitches required, stupid dog.

sinnful

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox
    I wasnt on a bicycle but I did get hit on my crotch rocket. Drunk driver blew a light and sent me flying.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'd LOVE to hit most of the bicyclist's I see out riding around. They blow stop signs, stop lights, don't signal for turns, and ride 3-4 abreast and block traffic. Things people that drive cars would get tickets for. I'll respect bicyclist when they obey the traffic laws the same as automobiles. Do you know it's ILLEGAL for anyone to ride a bicycle in Indiana unless it's equipped with a horn or bell??

IC 9-21-11-8
    Bell or other audible signaling devices; sirens; whistles
    Sec. 8. A person may not ride a bicycle unless the bicycle is equipped with a bell or other device capable of giving a signal audible for a distance of at least one hundred (100) feet. A bicycle may not be equipped with and a person may not use upon a bicycle a siren or whistle. <<This applies to cops on the Monon Trail too.

IC 9-21-11-2
    Roadways; rights and duties
    Sec. 2. A person riding a bicycle upon a roadway has all the rights and duties under this article that are applicable to a person who drives a vehicle.

IC 9-21-11-1
    Parents and guardians; authorizing or permitting violation of chapter; bicycles; application of chapter
    Sec. 1. (a) The parent of a child and the guardian of a protected person may not authorize or knowingly permit the child or protected person to violate this chapter.

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]IC 9-21-11-14[/FONT]
    [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Violations; Class C infraction[/FONT]
    [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold] Sec. 14. A person who violates this chapter commits a Class C infraction.[/FONT]

And I would like for you to never exceed the speed limit, even by 1mph.

And I would like for you to signal your turns and lane changes 100% of time.

And I would like for you to make all of your turns onto multi-lane roads into the correct lane (the lane nearest you)

And I would like for you to never change lanes within the minimum distance from an intersection as well as not IN the intersection.

-J-

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I pay taxes to use the roads (plates-fuel-Dr. Lic.-etc.) have to be insured and follow "ALL" of the rules. Start making these folks plate the bikes, carry some form of insurance and get a permit not un-like a MC stamp. Then they can pay for the damage from wrecks caused from their mis-conduct. I see it all the time. Just saying.

Edit...I always try to give runners and bikes a wide birth. No one really wants to hit or scare one of those folks but the roads are for getting from A to B at a given speed limit. Please do not run or walk down a 2 lane blocking traffic...wear the right reflective gear so I can see you at twighlight or in the dark......Get out of the way on a 40 MPH 2 lane as I do have places to be. Find a route if possible to get you and me there (point B) safely......Again, just saying

Last edited:
    Top Bottom