• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • weaverml34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    They fired one of their employee's a while back for following someone who had stolen some stuff out to their car and writing down the license plate number. The employee never confronted the person and stayed far enough away as to not cause a ruckus. Just got close enough to get the license plate number and watched them drive away.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Next thing you know, folks will be decrying an employer's right to fire someone for violating company policy!

derekb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    They fired one of their employee's a while back for following someone who had stolen some stuff out to their car and writing down the license plate number. The employee never confronted the person and stayed far enough away as to not cause a ruckus. Just got close enough to get the license plate number and watched them drive away.

Walmart's policies, as I understand it (My roommate recently worked for walmart for a while) specifically forbid any sort of stock retention activity by employees.

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    Their business, their property and their rules. They can fire whom they please.
    If you own a business then you make the rules (at least in this country) and you hire and fire.

worksalot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    live better ...Walmart..

Sure, their company, their rules. Something tells me that if it had gone the other way and someone you knew was injured by the perp...and the security people said they could have stopped it but that would have been against policy.....well you see where i'm going...

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    As an Assistant Manager, I have been involved in stopping shoplifters that produced weapons and have been between them and the door. I never felt the best thing to do was try to disarm them. The easiest way to protect myself and others in that situation is to let the guy go. My life is not worth a laptop.

worksalot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    I am not saying in every situation you should try and stop them. I am a first responder and safety should always be high priority. But is this instance I believe they did the right thing. Walmart should not have fired them. Rules, rules, rules... do you think Walmart would still be in business if they had not ammended some business practices along the way? Guidelines work...but they should be just that..."guide"lines.

Driver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I agree that this "Policy" sucks and that what happen to the employees sucks. But understand that Wal-Mart is not the only store with this type of policy. Most major stores have this type of policy. The company I work for has little retail in it. But the stores policy is even if we see someone shoplifting don't try to stop them or anything wait till the leave then call the police.
    Now if If I am in that type of situation that those people were in then I would do the same thing no doubt about it.

fergie22

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    walkerton
    the only lives they put in danger were their own they were not in the crowded store but in the security office they acted with restraint i would have at least put this guy in the hospital hire them back if i had a company they could work for me any day

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    What are you guys complaining about. Wal-mart was in the right here. They obviously understood this employee's potential and didn't want to further hold him back from going places in the world. So they fired him to give him a better life.

I mean...He was working at Wal-mart. Firing is a step up.

Pyroponce

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    South Bend
    It sure sounds like bull****, these heroes getting fired, but I can't say I'm surprised at how this turned out. Walmart's a big corporation and in this litigous society needs to think about what's safest for everyone. I work for a small grocery chain and I can tell you that we have similar policies. We leave loss prevention to the experts and if someone pulls a gun on you, you let them go. No amount of money is worth getting shot over. That being said, all our loss prevention personnel are off-duty cops and, to the best of my knowledge, are always carrying.

Regardless, if somebody pulls a gun on me, you can bet I'll take any reasonable measure to defend myself. My LIFE is priceless and far outweighs keeping any job I have.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    I agree that this "Policy" sucks and that what happen to the employees sucks. But understand that Wal-Mart is not the only store with this type of policy. Most major stores have this type of policy. The company I work for has little retail in it. But the stores policy is even if we see someone shoplifting don't try to stop them or anything wait till the leave then call the police.
    Now if If I am in that type of situation that those people were in then I would do the same thing no doubt about it.

My company's policy is to not only NOT stop shoplifter's but I can't even call the police on them. We're not allowed to "resist" a robbery/theft in any way or they CAN fire us.

what is with the video of the bullet marks and the circles on the street?

:dunno:

Regardless, if somebody pulls a gun on me, you can bet I'll take any reasonable measure to defend myself. My LIFE is priceless and far outweighs keeping any job I have.

Totally agree. However I know my workplace limits what I can do to protect myself. My gun has to stay in my vehicle. NO carry in the store. COE prohibits "any weapon" so my knife could get me in trouble if they wanted to use that against me. I don't believe that my company's money/product is worth a life being lost over but I WILL go home to my son.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Obviously walmart has the choice, but if somebody is holding onto a friend or coworker (that I like) with a gun and not leaving then I'm not going to just pretend the gunman isn't there and shuffle papers or something. Kudos to the folks who've lost thier jobs, the did the right thing but that doesn't aways pay.

Top Bottom