• ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Great news.

I cannot fathom why Evansville is doing this to their taxpayers. However, Indiana municipalities can only learn not to violate rights by court order and Evansville has volunteered to be first.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    That legal costs thing is what will be interesting. Don't they even get treble damages? Or am I misremembering something else.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, part of that money goes to the attorney.

I'm sure the headlines will make it look like he's to blame for robbing the city.
    Instead of the city robbing the taxpayer by blatantly ignoring the law.

Imagine the cost to the city if they just said, "Oops. We messed up. We will have our officers go to a class. Here is your triple fee (some low amount)".

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I look forward to hearing exactly how much money the city wasted on this.

I suggest, if one digs into this deeply enough, that it has nothing to do with how much money they will waste on the zero probability of prevailing. I strongly suspect it's about the politics and catering to a constituency support base that will see to it the elected official(s) driving this legal battle get(s) reelected. If they were spending their own money, they'd probably negotiate a settlement, but they're not. They're spending money from the city treasury. While they pay taxes, it's spread across the entire city. I'm beginning to wonder if there is an insurance carrier that will be on the hook for at least part of it when the city eventually loses.

John

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Question for Guy & the rest of the INGO attorneys:

It seems like Evansville's overlords did everything humanly possible to delay this case from actually being heard. Is that standard behavior, or is it indicative of someone who knows their defense is so weak that they're doing everything that is available to stall and deflect?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

It seems like Evansville's overlords did everything humanly possible to delay this case from actually being heard. Is that standard behavior, or is it indicative of someone who knows their defense is so weak that they're doing everything that is available to stall and deflect?

You also have to consider the possibility of running a plaintiff's attorney out of patience for the coin the plaintiff cannot afford out of pocket. Not every lawyer is a man devoted to the cause like Guy, so the possibility is there that if they can use enough diversionary tactics, they may be able to either get lucky and have the case thrown out or find that the lawyer is only willing to go so far on the hope of an eventual payout and cut his losses, thus allowing the case to die on the vine.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008

You don't have to be an attorney to know the answer. Some government "leaders" think they are royalty and what they personally believe in should be how things are. This is part of the problem within law enforcement as well. Some cops who want to do things their way, instead of the right way, the lawful way. This attitude is hard to correct because other people usually end up paying, not the person(s) who did wrong. Sometimes members of public service do get into trouble, but most of the time, unless it is a very serious action, they will just use other people's money to fight the battle to try and get things where they want it. If the judges and others have a similar attitude, they most likely think they will not only win, but are in the right with their attitude and thoughts on the issue.

All that being said, sometimes local governments do need to find again state laws. The simple fact is that I'm guessing 99% of the people here are going to say the government is wrong on this issue. I'm sure there are others who are actually in support of using the taxpayer money to try and get a court to say the state is overstepping their power when it comes to firearms laws.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    You also have to consider the possibility of running a plaintiff's attorney out of patience for the coin the plaintiff cannot afford out of pocket. Not every lawyer is a man devoted to the cause like Guy, so the possibility is there that if they can use enough diversionary tactics, they may be able to either get lucky and have the case thrown out or find that the lawyer is only willing to go so far on the hope of an eventual payout and cut his losses, thus allowing the case to die on the vine.

Just another perk of the State monopoly on criminal justice, nearly unlimited and unaccountable resources available to waste waging a war of attrition to wear down privately funded parties seeking justice (or any other formal redress of grievances).

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom