• ...and so much more!
  • thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    I'll just leave this here.

Court of Appeals decision could have impact on local case involving armed zoo patron » Evansville Courier & Press

I noticed that no one was called a time bomb this time...

IMO two different situations. The fact is the city is claiming you were removed for being "disorderly". In order to make that claim, IMO, you would of had to have been engaged in conduct which meets the criminal criteria for "disorderly conduct" here in Indiana. If not any ruling in favor of them seems to set precedent that now police can make personal opinion and very subjective non-criminal decisions (not based on law) and force citizens to comply under threat of legal repercussions.

Has nothing to do with repealing the law or not but it could expose them to an additional lawsuit for not doing so should the appeals court overturn the ruling favoring Hammond.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I was there today at the hearing with Guy and the city attorney before the judge. So was the reporter. This is NOT a very well written story, I can fill in the blanks because I was there but it is even confusing to me.

What do you guys think?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    From the article:

City attorney Robert Burkart disagreed that the city should have repealed the law.

"We think it is a silly argument," he said. "What that essentially means is there is some hidden liability the legislature didn't intend. Their argument would create a field day for plaintiff lawyers."

What does this mean? My lack of legalese is showing, I know.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    From the article:

He's crying "no fair". Essentially, imo, he's saying it creates an unnecessary and unintended burden upon cities to repeal any ordinances that they have in place contrary to state law. Because you know, that's too hard for them to do. Too much work amongst all the important things city/county politicians do everyday. Very busy folk you know.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    From the article:

It sounds to me like he is trying to argue that the law does NOT mean exactly what it says (interpreted to the city's convenience).

For your information as I understand you not to be a local resident, the CP is as big a lapdog for the city government as the MSM is for Obama.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    He's crying "no fair". Essentially, imo, he's saying it creates an unnecessary and unintended burden upon cities to repeal any ordinances that they have in place contrary to state law. Because you know, that's too hard for them to do. Too much work amongst all the important things city/county politicians do everyday. Very busy folk you know.

That's what it sounds like, to me, too. Additionally, he seems to be saying that by requiring cities to repeal illegal laws, we'd be opening them up to suits filed merely because the law still exists (rather than because someone attempted to enforce it).

To a lawmaker, there's no such thing as too many laws (even if they're illegal).

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

It sounds to me like he is trying to argue that the law does NOT mean exactly what it says (interpreted to the city's convenience).

For your information as I understand you not to be a local resident, the CP is as big a lapdog for the city government as the MSM is for Obama.

Thanks guys. What little knowledge I have of the law pales when lawyers start doing what they do best...finding meaning in language that's not there.;)

But this one phrase is really throwing me for a loop.
    there is some hidden liability the legislature didn't intend.
    I guess he's saying the legislature is setting the locals up for litigation so by maintaining a law that the state says they can't, they'll be protected from future lawsuits:dunno:

That's the best I can do.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Looks like this was posted a couple weeks after Frosty's incident (not sure if it was posted already).. There are a couple links in the story. I clicked on Frosty's name (which was hyperlinked for some reason).. I clicked on the hyperlink and they have a really pro 2A article written

linky: LETTER: Gun is a deterrent » Evansville Courier & Press

Thought I'd share

Nice letter. But the comments are the same old tiresome blather. I've come to believe its a waste of time posting comments on newspaper/blog posts.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I love how people keep adding to the story in the comments.

First, TF scared the sheeple and the children. Then, the (four) police officers kindly asked him to cover up. Frosty then became disorderly. Then he went full rage monster. Then they asked him to leave. Then they removed him. Then they forcibly removed him. Then he was arrested.

I'll give you a shiny new nickel if you can find the sentence in the above paragraph that is factual.

Go ahead. I'll wait.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I love how people keep adding to the story in the comments.

First, TF scared the sheeple and the children. Then, the (four) police officers kindly asked him to cover up. Frosty then became disorderly. Then he went full rage monster. Then they asked him to leave. Then they removed him. Then they forcibly removed him. Then he was arrested.

I'll give you a shiny new nickel if you can find the sentence in the above paragraph that is factual.

Go ahead. I'll wait.

None of them, the way I heard it, he went Full Retard, kicked a gnu, tripped the penguins, then took the tennis balls off some old lady's walker and threw them at the Bald Eagle just before they tazed him and took him to the State Hospital in Logansport where he convinced an Indian to bust them all out by throwing a huge sink through a window.
    :D

Top Bottom