7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    From the article TFT posted:
    "I'm voting against it in principle," said councilwoman Wendy Bredhold. Bredhold says local law enforcement officers should have the power to decide where people take firearms, for people's safety.
    "We all know what could happen and we know what the risks are and I just think we have the right to regulate in any way we chose locally and not have that enforced at the state level," said Bredhold.
    I can't believe such people can hold public office.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Did you see how Mr. Friend hid in ignorance of the law?:D

If I did cases down there I'd have that on a DVD for the prosecutor in every single case.

Just you try that! Oh, gee, I didn't know I couldn't carry a gun here.:laugh:

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Here's another excerpt that got me:

"EVANSVILLE - In Indiana, a city cannot have an ordinance that overrides state law. The Evansville rule stated local authorities could determine where a person could not carry a weapon. But in July, Indiana legislators decided the only place people could not carry a weapon, is buildings that hold courtrooms. "

Do they even research what they print? Especially when they may be the only source of "education" some people have? How about listing the other places, such as primary and secondary schools, daycares, group homes, mental health facilities, and iirc, hospitals housing inmates that have a LEO on duty 24 hours a day....

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Just got an update from the Brownsburg Assistant Town Manager, and they have a new ordinance going before the town council to bring them in compliance with the law:

Ordinance # 2011
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    October __, 2011

AN ORDINANCE AMENDING SECTION 37.16 OF THE CODE OF ORDINANCES AS IT RELATES TO DEADLY WEAPONS

WHEREAS, the Town of Brownsburg, Indiana through the Town Council desires to amend and update its Ordinances relating to the carrying of deadly weapons in public buildings.

BE IT ORDAINED BY THE TOWN COUNCIL OF THE TOWN OF BROWNSBURG, INDIANA AS FOLLOWS:

Section I. Title III, Chapter 37, Section 37.16, of the Brownsburg Town Code is hereby amended as follows:

§ 37.16 DEADLY WEAPONS PROHIBITED.

Except as provided for in Section 37.17, a person shall not:
    (1) Possess a deadly weapon on or about his person in any building that contains a courtroom of a Circuit, Superior, Town, or Small Claims Court; or
    (2) Intentionally display a deadly weapon at any public meeting.
    Section II. All prior Ordinances or parts thereof inconsistent with any provision of this Ordinance are hereby repealed.

Section III. This Ordinance is hereby passed by the Town Council for the Town of Brownsburg, Indiana this _____ day of October, 2011.

I think it's great, but I think I need to ask clarification of what constitutes a "Public Meeting". Is it a town council meeting, or is it any gathering of people to discuss something in public?? "any public meeting" could have a very broad interpretation.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    +1 for everyone but Wendy.

She gets a :rolleyes:

From her city profile webpage:
    Wendy is the stepdaughter of former County Councilman and State Representative Phil Hoy, but she cut her political teeth in the 2008 election, knocking on doors for Obama for America and the Weinzapfel Team. She is a member of the Democratic Women’s Caucus and a founding member of Evansville for Change, the group that helped turn Indiana blue in 2008.

Once again another supporter of "majority wins" only when the majority happens to be on their side. Typical.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    So does carrying a firearm on your hip constitute an "intentional display of said firearm?

Exactly my question too.

Based on that wording it seems like the city has outlawed "open carry" of firearms.

I have to ask, what if you are openly carrying your firearm but wear a coat/cover garment over your gun and a wind blows your cover garment, thereby exposing your gun. Is that in violation of the law? If not then how about a thin T-shirt pulled down over your holster so that the gun prints very visibly? Is that intentional display?

Last week a lady came into one of my stores, she was carrying what appeared to be a S&W M&P under her T-shirt in an OWB holster. Anyone and everyone who saw her back saw that gun, but the gun was never exposed. Still it made a statement no different than if she had been wearing it on her hip in loud & proud fashion!

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Exactly my question too.
    Anyone and everyone who saw her back saw that gun, but the gun was never exposed. Still it made a statement no different than if she had been wearing it on her hip in loud & proud fashion!

No, all the straight guys were probably too busy noticing the rest of her backside.:whip:

Top Bottom