• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepCrasher

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    I'm selling one of my g22 to a coworker of mine who knows nothing about firearms at all. He has never fired any weapon before. He wants it for HD. I trust that he won't be careless with the weapon, but do I have a responsibility to teach him everything I know regarding handguns. What if there is a negligent discharge, should I feel a sense of responsibility for not showing him better.

Help me out here guys

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you're not comfortable with his abilities, don't give him a firearm.

If he shows an interest in learning the four safety rules (among other things), that's a start. if he refuses to develop an attitude to learn, no go.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Are we now going to argue that a gun store has no right to sell someone something unless they can prove they are capable with it?

Gee, that's the same rationale behind universal background checks-- someone gets the rights only after they have demonstrated they deserve them.

No, you do NOT have an ethical responsibility to make sure he is competent. You have an ethical responsibility to be honest-- tell him you hope he take a class and gets competent with it and that he uses it wisely.

The only way to take on ethical responsibility in this case is to take away from the person who rightly bears it-- the potential buyer.

I bet you guys would also convict the bartender for serving someone who didn't look drunk, but later killed someone in a DUI and blew 0.2. Nope-- only the drunk is responsible in my thinking-- not the bartender.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm selling one of my g22 to a coworker of mine who knows nothing about firearms at all. He has never fired any weapon before. He wants it for HD. I trust that he won't be careless with the weapon, but do I have a responsibility to teach him everything I know regarding handguns. What if there is a negligent discharge, should I feel a sense of responsibility for not showing him better.

Help me out here guys

Co-worker, or friend?

Suggest he takes advantage of some training. Maybe even print out some stuff for him. If he is an actual friend, maybe meet him at a range?

Beyond that, I assume he is an adult, and can make his own decisions?

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Never got a single driving lesson from teh car dealer

drug stores dont teach condom use

baseball 101, nope not at MC Sports when I bought that bat

mcD's, not the poster child for nutritional teachings at the front counter

so I would say NO

JeepCrasher

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    I guess after hearing what was in the back of my mind I agree with all of you. I would still like to take him to the gun range just to cover some basics but that's also fun and friendship at the firing range. I appreciate all the input fellas.

Later

Crasher

ssmith512

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Oaklandon
    If it were me, I would meet the buyer at the range, go over the basic basics of safe gun ownership. Allow him to fire the gun so he/she gets the feel of it in a "controlled" environment. I wouldnt spend several hours with the buyer, but let them "kick the tires" so to speak. Obviously STRONGLY suggest that they take a basic pistol course, provide a few course names/contact info to make it easy for them to contact the training facility. Swap gun for cash and both of you go on your merry way. At that point, you have done your part IMO - made them feel a little easier about the purchase, possibly got a new person interested in the hobby/sport of gun ownership, and it is then entirely up to the buyer if they want to better educate themselves.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Never got a single driving lesson from teh car dealer

drug stores dont teach condom use

baseball 101, nope not at MC Sports when I bought that bat

mcD's, not the poster child for nutritional teachings at the front counter

so I would say NO

Sophomoric analogies all around. The car can be dangerous, but the driver already has a license, which requires a certain level of testing, training, and experience. A condom lacks the lethal potential of a gun. If you can't use the baseball bat, you'll grab some bench. Fast food can kill you, but you can't hurt someone else with it.

No, there is no legal requirement that you know they buyer will be safe, but there is most certainly a moral and ethical one.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Sophomoric analogies all around. The car can be dangerous, but the driver already has a license, which requires a certain level of testing, training, and experience. A condom lacks the lethal potential of a gun. If you can't use the baseball bat, you'll grab some bench. Fast food can kill you, but you can't hurt someone else with it.

No, there is no legal requirement that you know they buyer will be safe, but there is most certainly a moral and ethical one.

Here we go, another one.........

Dealers dont always check for a license, as a matter of fact many motorcycle dealers dont even ask

A condom can be teh diffrence between bringing a life into this world just to suffer

You make teh assumption the bat was ven bought to play baseball with

And obesity kills that individual, so in your eyes as long as your killing yourself then it's ok.

You can put whatever analogy you want on it to bring it to a collegiate level if you must there Stephen Hawking. The fact is your on teh interwebs and my responses are designed to be understood by the masses so go write a thesis somewwhere else, your on INGO. With so many scholars on this board I'm surprised we dont have a theater group.

cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    My nephew showed interest in firearms this past year (He is 12, has no formal training besided call of duty!) I made him memorize the 4 laws of gun safety.. I quizzed him throughout the day. I also made him understand WHY those laws are so important. We drilled with airsoft guns about trigger safety and muzzle presence. He took to it very well. We then went over how the firearm actually operates, the mechanicals, chemicals, combustables, and projectiles.. We then went to the range and I watched over him and he did excellent.. A few slipups with the trigger finger (not ON the trigger, but in the guard).. This took 1 day and he has learned lessons for a lifetime. At the end of that one day I was able to trust him with our guns (supervised of course) and let him fondle and learn their controls on his own. The point of this long winded paragraph is to emphasize that with a little time and patience, you can teach your coworker how to be a safe and smart gun owner.

JeepCrasher

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    I get what everyone is trying to say and I agree with you like I said meet him at the range just for fun basic 1 on 1 instruction, very basic instructions wish you well be on my way. I will at least have to show him how to field strip it so that it can be cleaned. well you guys are right he's an adult and can make his own decisions. all I can do is give him the information to make the those decisions.

Thanks

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    My nephew showed interest in firearms this past year (He is 12, has no formal training besided call of duty!) I made him memorize the 4 laws of gun safety.. I quizzed him throughout the day. I also made him understand WHY those laws are so important. We drilled with airsoft guns about trigger safety and muzzle presence. He took to it very well. We then went over how the firearm actually operates, the mechanicals, chemicals, combustables, and projectiles.. We then went to the range and I watched over him and he did excellent.. A few slipups with the trigger finger (not ON the trigger, but in the guard).. This took 1 day and he has learned lessons for a lifetime. At the end of that one day I was able to trust him with our guns (supervised of course) and let him fondle and learn their controls on his own. The point of this long winded paragraph is to emphasize that with a little time and patience, you can teach your coworker how to be a safe and smart gun owner.

Wonderful use of airsoft guns! I had never thought to use them as a training tool! that gives me a idea on where to start when teaching my little cousins. (ps Good job teaching him the right way the first time!) :rockwoot:

Firefighter56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    East Central Indiana
    If he is a friend then you should want to help him with the basic firearm safety. Not because he is buying YOUR gun but because he is buying A gun. If he isn't a friend then it probably doesn't really matter. If I were to post a gun for sale and sold it to someone I wouldn't feel obligated to train him, in fact I probably wouldn't even know that he had never held a gun before. You should want him to be safe because he is your friend, not because he is buying your gun. But remember that if something does happen whether you help him or not he is an adult and makes his own decisions, smart or stupid.

Top Bottom