• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    It is ultimately the buyer's responsibility to assure they have the training and knowledge to handle a gun. Your only responsibility is to assure that you present the gun as advertised.

That said, I personally would feel better taking them to the range, teaching them proper gun safety and how you handle guns, in general. Not required, but you would be doing this person a favor while contributing to the responsible use of a firearm.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Are we now going to argue that a gun store has no right to sell someone something unless they can prove they are capable with it?

Gee, that's the same rationale behind universal background checks-- someone gets the rights only after they have demonstrated they deserve them.

No, you do NOT have an ethical responsibility to make sure he is competent. You have an ethical responsibility to be honest-- tell him you hope he take a class and gets competent with it and that he uses it wisely.

The only way to take on ethical responsibility in this case is to take away from the person who rightly bears it-- the potential buyer.

I bet you guys would also convict the bartender for serving someone who didn't look drunk, but later killed someone in a DUI and blew 0.2. Nope-- only the drunk is responsible in my thinking-- not the bartender.

I think we are suggesting that a friend would teach what he did not learn as a kid like a lot of us were privileged enough to have with our fathers, gramps, and uncles :twocents:

Cottong2001

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Down the road a piece...
    In the end it comes down to your personal conviction. For me, if its someone that I am going to see again (friend, acquaintance, etc) , then I'll take the time to make sure he is aware of the do's and do not's and politely give him some personal training as well as suggest he take a class or 2. After all, I don't want to be around someone that owns a gun that doesn't treat it as it should be treated.

Every time I'm shooting with friends and they break one of the rules, I always hear something like "It's ok, it's not loaded". Drives me crazy. Hence if I'm going to be around that person, I'm going to make sure they know what they're doing.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    it is an inanimate object. you should not feel any responsibilty for what he does if you sell it to him. a ND is his fault. if he hurts someone it is his fault.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I wonder how many of the "no responsibility" posters also bemoan the lack of moral training in our schools? Not to suggest that anyone would be hypocritical...

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I'm selling one of my g22 to a coworker of mine who knows nothing about firearms at all. He has never fired any weapon before. He wants it for HD. I trust that he won't be careless with the weapon, but do I have a responsibility to teach him everything I know regarding handguns. What if there is a negligent discharge, should I feel a sense of responsibility for not showing him better.

Help me out here guys

JMHO, if your co-worker, takes the gun home, and shoots himself, or someone else, wife, girlfriend, child, CAN YOU LIVE WITH THAT, for the REST of YOUR LIFE..... No ones, ethics on this or any other forum, matter, EXCEPT YOURS, YOU have to live with whatever decision YOU make..... :twocents: GOOD LUCK .....

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    It is ultimately the buyer's responsibility to assure they have the training and knowledge to handle a gun. Your only responsibility is to assure that you present the gun as advertised.

That said, I personally would feel better taking them to the range, teaching them proper gun safety and how you handle guns, in general. Not required, but you would be doing this person a favor while contributing to the responsible use of a firearm.

pretty much as Charles puts it - it is the buyers responsibility to learn how to use it correctly / safely - however considering the relationship "if it were me" I would have the desire to to ensure the basics are taught and practiced a few times - no different than going to the range and seeing some awful technique and offering to give some helpful advise.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Take them to the range and see what they can be taught. If you feel good after 100 rds. either sell him the gun or continue with the instructions. You should have a feel for their ability's by then. I have done this many times. I have also refused to let one person have the gun. I like to sleep at night.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Teach my kids reading, writing and arithmetic. Leave the parenting to me. I don't want my kids tainted with anyone else's credence , since were are using sophisticated words there Hawking.

1+1=2
    The big red dog barked loud.
    Eat lunch
    Recess
    Your is a possessive, you're is a contraction
    Send them home

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    This is a great opportunity to invite your friend out to the range. It's a win win for both. Your point of view is well warranted and shows the importance that should be placed on a fire arm. Make it a positie experience while sharing some basics!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It is good that you are concerned for your friend's safety. We should hope that he is willing to listen to some basic instruction and so long as you do what you can in this regard, you have done your part. The other thing you have to consider is that even if he isn't exactly ready for competition, the alternative may well be that he would find himself facing down a home invasion armed with a telephone.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom