• ...and so much more!
  • joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Howdy Folks,

I apologize if this has been covered, I searched and didn't really find the answer I was looking for.

I have several handguns, and want to get into longer range (300 yard) rifle shooting. After reading the poop out of everything I could find I decided .223 is the caliber I'm interested in. Well a decent .223 is in the $300 to $400 dollar range, I figure I should save up more and dive into the AR platform.

What would be a decent AR in 5.56 to either buy complete or build myself from components? I'm looking for something rugged/dependable and fairly priced (ie under $1000).

Is there anyone in Fort Wayne who has an AR that wouldn't mind letting me come by and take a look at it and chew your ear off for a little bit? I'm not necessarily looking to come shoot it, just see how they go together and what's involved in buying one and maintaining it, accessories, etc.

Thanks,

Joe

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    or do a build from a site like Del-ton... i have good experiences with them and am a dealer for their products.... you will learn how it goes together which will help you understand its function... plus you will get a ton of satisfaction out of it and it can be done for around 700 bucks when done right.

kyle1058

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Noble County
    I picked up a Colt SP1 a few years ago for $600 and that came with over 500 rounds of 5.56mm (yes 5.56) and a bunch of 30 and 20 round colt mags, a bipod, bayonet, and many other accessories... Got it out of a freead or peddlers post or something.. Doesn't hurt to look there. Although it has a slower twist rate than i would like and a pencil barrel (like all SP1's), the lower receiver can still accept any upper i put on it, as long as i get a large hole adaptor.

As far as buying new, there are many options out there and I like the Olympic arms rifles. Rock River, DPMS, and many others out there. You might find a colt or a bushmaster for a good price if you look. Not saying you can find a colt 6920 LE for under $1k, but I'm sure you can pickup a good AR-15 for $700-900.

Are you looking for strictly a target gun? Like something with a heavy barrel and a flat top so you can mount a scope,, or more like a short barrel carbine for plinking?

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    DPMS Sportical would also do on the lower end ($700). If you are willing to go to $1000, I would go Bushmaster.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Is $1,000 your TOTAL budget? Or are you trying to just find a rifle for under $1k?

If you're looking at shooting out to 300 yards I'm assuming you'll be putting some type of optic on it, which can run the gamut from $50 cheapies to $2k long-range scopes. If you do want an optic you'll also need a mount, which can be $$ too sometimes.

This all factors in if you're trying to keep TOTAL cost under $1k.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    or do a build from a site like Del-ton... i have good experiences with them and am a dealer for their products.... you will learn how it goes together which will help you understand its function... plus you will get a ton of satisfaction out of it and it can be done for around 700 bucks when done right.

I built my first AR from a complete Del-Ton kit. The kit, plus the lower I bought from a local store ended up being right around $700. Very easy to do, and a great feeling of accomplishment.

Only watchout right now is lead times...not sure what they are right now given all the hype around Nov of 08 and following. Last I heard they were quoting lead times in several month increments, so just be prepared.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If I go with a Del-Ton kit, like this Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 20" Rifle Kit

That still has to ship to an FFL, and it is a complete unit correct? (once built)

Edit, ah, I see I still need the lower

It looks like you may have already answered your own question, but just in case. . .

The 'kit' is simply lots of parts shipped to you directly just like you would get a book or letter mailed to you.

The lower receiver, which is the only thing not included in the kit, is what needs to go through an FFL. You can probably find one of these locally for $100-200-- check out Michiana or LE Firearms (both INGO Supporters) for some good deals on lowers.

Kit + lower = complete rifle

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    If I go with a Del-Ton kit, like this Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 20" Rifle Kit

That still has to ship to an FFL, and it is a complete unit correct? (once built)

Edit, ah, I see I still need the lower

Correct on still needing lower. Good idea though. some of the local shops (South Bend) are selling stripped lowers for 110 bucks, so you'd be right around 600, once you put it together. All in all, a good deal, plus once you put it together, you get to know the rifle a little better than you would a rifle that you had bought pre-assembled.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    If you end up going that route from Del-ton, I'd be interested on lead times. I've been thinking about a 20" A2 style build for my next AR, and was pleased with my last kit from Del-ton.

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I would also suggest an Olympic AR. 21st Century Firearms has some great prices on them. I have a K3B-M4 I bought from them and would be willing to let you look it over and give you some trigger time with it.

joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I would also suggest an Olympic AR. 21st Century Firearms has some great prices on them. I have a K3B-M4 I bought from them and would be willing to let you look it over and give you some trigger time with it.

I bought a pistol from them a few weeks ago and planned on making the trip down one of these days after work to get some AR advice. I would love to get together with you one evening or next weekend and take a look at your AR and get some ideas from you. Trigger time would be a big time bonus! I'll PM you tomorrow when I know what my work schedule is looking like for the week.

tyvm

Joe

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    ps: i would avoid Olympic. but to each their own

Why is that?? Today's Olympic guns are very good quaility, and one of the very few manufactures left that actually MAKE an AR15, not just assemble parts and put their name on the lower. Plus, most of their guns have a stainless steel barrel that is almost match grade.

I know the older pre-ban Olympics got some bad raps, and may not have been the best quality, especially the cast receivers. Most Olympic guns nowadays are made from 7075 forgings, and are milspec. I think the current Olympic guns are a very good value, and your not paying extra for the name, like on a Bushmaster, Colt, etc.

Top Bottom