• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I can do CAD -- 2D but never had .3mm pencils. .5's were tough for me as I was broke the leads. Finally I just started using pens because I didn't have to sharpen them and the stupid things wouldn't jam up or stick open like the mech pencils would.

We had this older engineer hired on as an energy engineer. He had a power distribution background and one of my responsibilities was managing the plant's power distribution system. He couldn't help but stick his nose in. One day we were discussing some issue we were having and he pulled out his mech. pencil and a pad of paper and started drawing vector diagrams to explain his theory...I laughed.

One day he did some study and sent me his spreadsheet to show me what he was coming up with. I started looking through it and checking his math on a few things..........................instead of putting formulas in and letting Excel do its thing, he did his calculations on his HP and then typed them in :laugh: Crazy Canadians!

Oy! That reminds me of my first heat transfer course. We had a project to determine how long it would take a Bratwurst to cook in boiling water. Most of us reduced it to a one-dimensional problem with a radial coordinate system in the brat. One guy got clever and used Lotus 1-2-3 and formulas to do a finite difference numerical solution including both the radial coordinate and the length. His solution was about the same, but it was a neat application for a tool that none of us had ever considered. After he educated us, it was almost too obvious! A spreadsheet with formulas is almost tailor made for doing numerical solutions with finite difference or finite element methods!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    One day he did some study and sent me his spreadsheet to show me what he was coming up with. I started looking through it and checking his math on a few things..........................instead of putting formulas in and letting Excel do its thing, he did his calculations on his HP and then typed them in

I was working on an ASIC once and one of the older guys wanted to review the design. review the code or simulations??? no, he wanted to see the gates.... tens of thousands of them. Sent him a schematic and told him to go nuts. It was a frustrating time for both of us. He didn't like that I kept answering his questions with "I didn't choose those gates / name those nets / design that macro, etc, the synthesis tool did," or "I don't care if you can optimize it and save 3 cells, it meets power and timing, let the tools do their job," or "the 70s called and they want their design methods back."

-rvb

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    mechanical-engineers-wedding-ring-funny.jpg

Engineer-solution-funny-01.jpg

the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    I currently have my Associates degree in MET Mechanical Engineering Technology from the local Purdue Branch and I am working on my Bachelors Degree as we speak. Before that earned my degree in automotive and high performance from UNOH which has served me well in all of my jobs since. I currently am a design engineer for a cryogenic company and on the side my boss has me design diesel components.
    The looks of things I appear to be one of the youngins on the engineering side. When I earn my Bachelors degree I have not decided if I will go for becoming a PE or become an Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional.

gvbcraig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Southwest Fort Wayne
    [video=youtube_share;rp8hvyjZWHs]http://youtu.be/rp8hvyjZWHs[/video]I have about 20 PE's that work for me. How do I drive them nuts? Whenever there is an issue or solution I do not agree with the engineering staff, I start singing "trust me, I'm an engineer", see link. Please note there is some explicit language in the video, typical engineering language. Beyond my control, like my engineers.

Last edited:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Can I call myself an engineer, even though I don't have a degree with "Engineering" in the name. Nor am I licensed. Or bonded. Or insured. Or registered. Or certified. Or even employed as an engineer?

That depends: how are your duct tape skills?

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Platform Engineer (IT)

Ball State University. BS in Computer Science backed with a Physics and Math minors.
    That's me. I started at ISU in 1991 doing a Physics Bachelor's. I took a CS elective year one, and switched to a CS BS. Then, I wound up doing both in parallel. Between both, I had enough math for math minor, but took more anyway.Then, I added an honors curriculum. Then, I parlayed my HS Latin studies into ISU Latin credits to turn one BS into a BA. Then, I took Russian to turn both into BAs. Then, I took enough post graduate physics classes for an MS in Physics, but I never finished the dissertation. Then, I did an MS in CS at IUB. Then, I took a bunch of additional classes at ISU for math teaching in hopes of getting a HS teaching certification, but couldn't finish that because of personality conflicts. I wouldn't give sufficient deference to high school graduates that the education bureaucrats had a hand in certifying as graduates, nevermind that I'd tutored several of them at the post-graduate level in math, physics, and computer science, so that blind deference was never gonna come. Now, I'm doing an Industrial Technology AAS at IVYTech for CNC machining.

That depends: how are your duct tape skills?
    Par excellence!

So, do I get to call myself an Engineer?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Engineer checking in!

BSME Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, 2001
    MBA Indiana University Kelley School of Business, 2010

Also the proud grandson of a US Army Combat Engineer that served in WWII.

A pocket protector would be pretty flippin sweet, but we need it to be tacticool too...thinking multi-cam or similar.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    except for working on my masters, I haven't done anything related to calculus since graduation. I fear the day my kids start that stuff in school and asks for help with homework, as the expectation will be that I can not only do it but help teach it. I predict late nights reading his books so I re-learn it.

I put 4 years between my BS and my MS and it was amazing how much I had to re-learn. Now it's been 7 yrs since my masters and I'm sure even more of that useless nonsense has been replaced by more relavant info, like reloading data....

Four? Pffft, try ten years. I took a controls class and what I relearned was my hatred of diff eq.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Can I poo-poo on your Engineer thread?
    If you're an Engineer and you've never worked in the field, ask someone with field experience if its feasible.
    That right there is what makes most people in the field hate an Engineer.... "What do you mean you can't do that, it works on paper" or "The book says that's how you do it"
    Okay, that's all the poo-poo I'm going to throw on your thread.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    A spreadsheet with formulas is almost tailor made for doing numerical solutions with finite difference or finite element methods!

Hardly a day goes by where I don't think this exact same thing... :rofl:

Can I poo-poo on your Engineer thread?
    If you're an Engineer and you've never worked in the field, ask someone with field experience if its feasible.
    That right there is what makes most people in the field hate an Engineer.... "What do you mean you can't do that, it works on paper" or "The book says that's how you do it"
    Okay, that's all the poo-poo I'm going to throw on your thread.

Amen, and Amen.

I am not, nor have I ever been an Engineer. College Algebra is the highest level math I ever passed (ahem).

But I did work several years with Geotechnical Geologists (hence my random response to Jagee's post from before).

GE: We need a bore hole here.
    GG: I put it over there.
    GE: Why did you move it? I need it here.
    GG: Well, if you'd been to the site you'd have noticed the over-head power lines. You do know that we can't set our drill up under power lines, right?
    GE: Oh.

Top Bottom