• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Follow the 4 rules. Snap caps are cheap. Life is not. Overall, Cameramonkey is on the right track. CKCollins2013 does make a good reminder about keeping ALL live ammo out of the area when doing dry-fire practice.

Follow the 4 rules and use snap caps. Repeat over and over.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    If you choose to use fired cases as snap caps keep in mind that after enough dry fires the firing pin will pound the spent primers deep enough that they will no longer serve their intended purpose.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    And dammit, if you are that concerned about the $10, I'll buy your damn snap caps. Life is too short to cheap out! Just dont do it!

If you're offering...

:D

As for me, I agree with everything CameraMonkey has said. Buy snap caps, unless you reload specific rounds to use like snap caps. Even then, reload ONLY them at that point and paint them so there is no mistaking.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Quick question:

Would putting a spent case in the chamber do the same to save wear on your firing pin while dry firing as a snap cap?

No.
    Because with a snap cap, the entire primer area is spring loaded and will give a cushion to the firing pin repeatedly.

With a spent cartridge, the primer has been indented when it was first fired, then every time after that the firing pin hits like it would without a spent cartridge in the chamber because there is nothing to cushion the firing pin anymore.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    I used to do it with revolvers. Smooths up the action and builds muscle and lets you focus on DA trigger control.
    If you manage to **** it up you were already an accident waiting to happen.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    No.
    Because with a snap cap, the entire primer area is spring loaded and will give a cushion to the firing pin repeatedly.

With a spent cartridge, the primer has been indented when it was first fired, then every time after that the firing pin hits like it would without a spent cartridge in the chamber because there is nothing to cushion the firing pin anymore.

Tipton being the best snap cap ive came across. Those still get the same dents very very quickly.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by edporch
    No.

Tipton being the best snap cap ive came across. Those still get the same dents very very quickly.

Yes, snap caps do eventually become dented and don't do their job as they should.
    But the ones I have take many hammerfalls before they do.
    I'm not at home now, but the ones I have I've had for several years, and are red plastic with brass on the primer end, and are still working though dented somewhat.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012
    Tippecanoe County
    If you can't tell the difference, between a LOADED round, and an EMPTY, should you even own a gun ?????

Only to an extent. Cameramonkey's point is better illustrated when you look at it from a different point of view. When you check the breech of a firearm to determine whether or not said firearm is loaded, do you look to confirm an empty chamber or the presence of a live round? Ideally, you should be looking to confirm that the chamber is empty. Over time, our minds create a cognitive bias that conditions us to expected outcomes. If you are expecting to see an empty chamber, the presence of any round regardless of it being live or spent will interupt the cognitive expectation and we would likely stop to process the thoughts further. If your mindset is to instead look for the presence of a chambered round, sight confirms it and the expectation is met. BOOM! Even though your intent was to avoid a ND, you've set yourself up to overlook the red flags your mind should have created.

A snap cap is red. Red is different from the expected outcome (seeing brass). So even if you do know the difference between a live casing vs. a spent one, it may not matter.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    When doing extensive dry firing, I'm not happy with anything that was an actual round. I get that its obvious, but still dont like it. something that is red (if it was a blinking LED i'd like that too...) makes me feel "better" for some reason.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So, Youngmilsurper, what do you want to do? Just play around or serious drills, or what?

I don't know about the S&W or Taurus, but the 10/22 and Tok can handle occasional dry firing.

turn n shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    The S&W Model 10 you can dry fire without snap caps, and it will not hurt it. Personally, I do not dry fire any of my .22s with, or without snap caps. I am not familiar with the Tokarev.

Best Wishes,
    Tom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Has any one else noticed that snap-caps are not bright orange/red any more.
    I picked up 2 calibers and they are now dark-dark red.
    That makes them harder to differentiate.
    Also harder to see inside the chamber.
    they are also harder to spot on the floor when I do reload drill.

Top Bottom