• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That is the part everyone fails to understand. I can move about 40 miles east and not need a permit for a new roof, but in another 30 years as more and more people move out that way they will bring their city rules and ordinances with them. Look at Zionsville, not you but the others.

I think we should ban people from moving out of the cities.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    "...nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."

Says "public" not "needful."

I was in Article I section 8:

17: To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, byCession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;--And

My point is that the use of eminent domain often fails to meet the first standard established here regarding the purpose of .gov possession of property. It may only apply to the federal government, but like many things, it frequently gets ignored.

I have noticed that it is a common problem for eminent domain to be used for the construction of things for which there is no public need whatsoever. Case in point, we do not NEED a new sports facility.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I was in Article I section 8:

My point is that the use of eminent domain often fails to meet the first standard established here regarding the purpose of .gov possession of property. It may only apply to the federal government, but like many things, it frequently gets ignored.

I have noticed that it is a common problem for eminent domain to be used for the construction of things for which there is no public need whatsoever. Case in point, we do not NEED a new sports facility.

You mean like to take peoples property to build hotels or a mall for the tax revenue it will generate compared to people and their measly little homes

evsnova74

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Near-east Indy
    You'd be a hypocrite if you told us how bad thievery was, a thief stole your neighbor's money, bought you something and you willingly accepted it and used it every day.

We are not talking about taxes. We are talking about real property.

But you brought up taxes when you said Ram and Steve would be hypocrites for using the "public roads, highways or any other gov't services". I'm sure they both paid taxes, so they would just be "accepting the stuff that was bought with the money originally stolen from them" in my example. I was just saying that I see no hypocrisy in that, whatever their views on eminent domain are... :dunno:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    But you brought up taxes when you said Ram and Steve would be hypocrites for using the "public roads, highways or any other gov't services". I'm sure they both paid taxes, so they would just be "accepting the stuff that was bought with the money originally stolen from them" in my example. I was just saying that I see no hypocrisy in that, whatever their views on eminent domain are... :dunno:

No I did not bring up taxes. We are talking about eminent domain. Roads and highways are built on real property obtained through eminent domain. Libraries are built on property obtained by eminent domain. So are government complexes, hospitals, fire stations, schools, etc., etc.

If they claim that all eminent domain is theft, then every time they use any government facility that was built through eminent domain, they ate benefiting from something they condemn. So, either have the force of your convictions and refuse to take any benefit from this "theft", or.....

...and by the way, saying eminent domain is theft is kind of like saying every single time a person kills another person, it's capital murder.....no exception. Every time.

evsnova74

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Near-east Indy
    No I did not bring up taxes.

My bad, I didn't even get your point at first. I hear that line so often against the taxes are theft argument that I'm developing an auto response. I guess theft might not be all that accurate, but IMO it's certainly coercion or something. Idk, is there a term for forcing someone to sell something at gunpoint? If someone steals your flatscreen but throws a few hundos on the floor on his way out, what's that called?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Reimbursement? If it were me I'd just buy a newer/bigger one.

There is nothing wrong with my tv and I don't want a new one. It's stolen and my insurance gives me fair market value which isn't enough to replace what I had. Not only am I out the difference in price, I'm out my time and gas dealing with it and replacing it. All for a tv I never wanted to get rid of.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    So far as roads are concerned, when Indiana was originally surveyed and platted, space was allowed for roads before the land was placed in the hands of its original private owners. Later highways, not so much (aside from a few preexisting roads like US 40).

winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    this might be a stupid question but here goes. i got a copy of the original land patent from 1849 from the blm that my 30 acres are in. i think it would be considered a contract would it not? it was signed by president z. taylor to the original owner henry loope. could this contract be used to stop someone from taking my property? it says to have and hold the same, together with all the rights, privileges, immunities, appurtenances of whatsoever nature, thereunto belonging, unto the said henry loope anto his heirs and assigns forever.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    A big chunk of our 100+ yr. family farm was taken by eminent domain for the US 20 bypass in St joe county back in the late 70's. I was to young to tell you the exact details but our neighbor fought it to no avail. I can remember him being angry with us because we took the deal and wouldn't fight with him, in the end it consumed him with hate and took his life, farm and all his wealth. It taught me a valuable lesson, home is where your family is not a spot on the map.

IMHO zoning laws are far more heinous than eminent domain at least they paid us for the ground, when the county rezoned us from Ag to residential they took away our property rights without any compensation and gave us higher property taxes in return and we had zero say in it.

Top Bottom