• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Eminent Domain defiles the concept of property ownership.

If you actually own something then it won't transfer hands without your permission.

Property "ownership" is more complex than general ownership of something. You don't actually "own" the land completely. If you did, you would be your own sovereign nation. You pay taxes for that land so that you may use that land for yourself and all lawful purposes. You get special rights to that land because you pay taxes it for it. You still need permission to dig holes on your property, or to build on it.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Public services. Which are about as compensatory as the sheckles they throw at you while Irsay moves into his new digs.

No, eminent domain compensation goes to the entity from whence the taking occurred, individually, not the public at large. Don't pretend there is no difference. As for anti-gunner Irsay, I'll say it again, he's the biggest welfare queen in Indianapolis.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Property "ownership" is more complex than general ownership of something. You don't actually "own" the land completely. If you did, you would be your own sovereign nation. You pay taxes for that land so that you may use that land for yourself and all lawful purposes. You get special rights to that land because you pay taxes it for it. You still need permission to dig holes on your property, or to build on it.

Oh yes. Permission to build. Permission to dig. Permission to landscape. Permission to put up a flag pole. Permission to remodel.

Pay rent money for permission to stay.

And hope that the collective doesn't snatch it from you.

Land ownership has been bastardized beyond all recognition. We cannot call ourselves free when we can never truly buy a piece of property and be left alone for good.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Oh yes. Permission to build. Permission to dig. Permission to landscape. Permission to put up a flag pole. Permission to remodel.

Pay rent money for permission to stay.

And hope that the collective doesn't snatch it from you.

Land ownership has been bastardized beyond all recognition. We cannot call ourselves free when we can never truly buy a piece of property and be left alone for good.

Permission to build and dig is for safety reasons. Would you want to build a house on a foundation with holes all over the property? The other things you list vary on your local ordinances. They are in place to protect the rights of other property owners who do not want their land value to decrease just because some idiot wants to put in 30 flag poles and random stuff all over the property. I'm sure Ariel Castro wanted to be left alone for good since it was his property.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Permission to build and dig is for safety reasons. Would you want to build a house on a foundation with holes all over the property? The other things you list vary on your local ordinances. They are in place to protect the rights of other property owners who do not want their land value to decrease just because some idiot wants to put in 30 flag poles and random stuff all over the property. I'm sure Ariel Castro wanted to be left alone for good since it was his property.

Like I said, bastardized beyond all recognition.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

That all depends on where you live now doesn't it? I cannot even replace a broken window in my home without a permit, but if you live out in certain counties it is perfectly acceptable to build large sheds without permits

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

Do you own your body?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    No, eminent domain compensation goes to the entity from whence the taking occurred, individually, not the public at large. Don't pretend there is no difference. As for anti-gunner Irsay, I'll say it again, he's the biggest welfare queen in Indianapolis.

In both cases, the participant is unwilling. Are they going to give you a dollar for every dollar they take in taxes? In both cases, it's for the public good.

If my family owns a historical artifact, should the Smithsonian be able to force us to sell it at a price they deem appropriate? It's for the public good.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    That all depends on where you live now doesn't it? I cannot even replace a broken window in my home without a permit, but if you live out in certain counties it is perfectly acceptable to build large sheds without permits

Some of us live where there's still some semblance of property rights.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound

Yes it does depend. If you want that kind of freedom, then you are free to move to a place with lax restrictions.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Yes, until you move in next to me.

That is the part everyone fails to understand. I can move about 40 miles east and not need a permit for a new roof, but in another 30 years as more and more people move out that way they will bring their city rules and ordinances with them. Look at Zionsville, not you but the others.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    That is the part everyone fails to understand. I can move about 40 miles east and not need a permit for a new roof, but in another 30 years as more and more people move out that way they will bring their city rules and ordinances with them. Look at Zionsville, not you but the others.

Just as the Californians flee the mess they created out there.

Top Bottom