• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    They did a Duracoat for me on a 1911.... not a bad job.... great guys.

I've had conversation about custom work... I think they send most of it out.

Is Duracoat same-same the matte-black finish that Beretta calls Bruniton? Would that be more "period-correct" for a Beretta Model 1934?

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have been in there a couple of times and had terrible service both times. Very arrogant people. So I bought elsewhere. Definately would not buy anything from them.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Ok Thanks ill have to check it out soon. My GF is wanting to go christmas shopping this weekend so i may drop her off at the mall and do a little shopping of my own!

vetteboy73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    If you're considering Duracoat, make sure you have them explain the different finishes.... they range from about a "parkerized" to a "gloss".... unfortunately, I can't remember what I got (nice, I know), but it's a semi-gloss/satin, for lack of better description.

Seems to be fairly durable, but I don't use that gun that much.... I don't think I'd put it up against a factory applied, it is a paint, so it has some thickness and will soften any markings. It won't completely fill them in, but it will slightly.

Good luck.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If you're considering Duracoat, make sure you have them explain the different finishes.... they range from about a "parkerized" to a "gloss".... unfortunately, I can't remember what I got (nice, I know), but it's a semi-gloss/satin, for lack of better description.

Seems to be fairly durable, but I don't use that gun that much.... I don't think I'd put it up against a factory applied, it is a paint, so it has some thickness and will soften any markings. It won't completely fill them in, but it will slightly.

Good luck.

Thanks, vetteboy! ;)

agentdw

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I took a rifle to have it parkerized, they talked me into doing duracoat. I agreed. They told me it would take 2 weeks, I finally got it back after 11 weeks. Every time I called they told me it would be done next friday. Very poor service. Also after they told me it was done, I went to pick it up, and the trigger group had not been done. They told me they didnt know how to take it apart. They took 50 off the bill, so i took it and left. I will never do business with them again.

vetteboy73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Well..... re-blueing and Duracoating are two different things... Re-blueing is chemical process that requires all metal to be taken down to "raw" form. The Duracoat, they actual sandblast it, then apply, for lack of better terms, paint.

Make sure you clarify.... it has been a while back, so it is possible they have quit doing it.

GustavHalbach

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    They do however offer "smoke-coating". If you leave your firearm there for service/repair for any lenght of time...it's returned to you oddly smelling of cigar smoke.

I'll pass thank-you.

-G

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    I took a rifle to have it parkerized, they talked me into doing duracoat. I agreed. They told me it would take 2 weeks, I finally got it back after 11 weeks. Every time I called they told me it would be done next friday. Very poor service. Also after they told me it was done, I went to pick it up, and the trigger group had not been done. They told me they didnt know how to take it apart. They took 50 off the bill, so i took it and left. I will never do business with them again.

I am having a similar experience with them. I took my Savage there to get some work done. Basically the extractor and ejector on the bolt got jammed up. Brought it in, showed them what was wrong and they told me it should take about a week. This was in July or August I think. I've called back several times to get an update since picking up the phone and updating me on the long wait seems to be an inconvenience to them. Each time I call I get the same response "It's at the machinists". They don't apologize for the long wait, they don't apologize for not updating me on the status, they don't even sound respectful to me over the phone.

At this point I don't even care if they fix the rifle or not, I kind of just want it back so I can take it somewhere my business is appreciated. I am not saying that every employee has this attitude, I can't tell you who I am speaking with over the phone, but needless to say I've had a bad experience with them. I guess I will call them sometime this week and ask them to just bring it back as is so I can pick it up. If they give me the run around I'll stop in to their shop and face to face with them.

I will say they have a very nice selection of tactical stuff. Haven't seen a shop of their caliber since I was in North Carolina. Regardless though, if you are going to have a cast of employees that all play the part of EX SF or whatever, you could at least try to be competent with the service portion with your business. I went in there with the expectation that these guys knew what they were talking about, because they sounded like they did. Now I question this about them. Don't care if it's their fault or the machinists. If this were MY business I would call my customers and not have them wait in the dark.

Honestly I have been having a very difficult time finding a shop around the Indianapolis area that treats their customers with respect all around, goes 100% (not necessarily above and beyond) with customer service, has a good selection and fair prices. I've found shops that have some of these qualities, but most seem to be lacking one in a big way.

Regardless of who's fault the wait is, my rifle is THEIR responsibility right now.

Guess I've been spoiled in the past...

Squirt239

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    If you're looking for bluing, parkerizing or duracoating, give me a call. If you don't want me to do it for you, at least I might be able to give you some advice.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Honestly I have been having a very difficult time finding a shop around the Indianapolis area that treats their customers with respect all around, goes 100% (not necessarily above and beyond) with customer service, has a good selection and fair prices. I've found shops that have some of these qualities, but most seem to be lacking one in a big way.

Give Bradis a try.

Also Plainfield Shooting Supply and Beach Grove Firearms. My first had experience with all three has been very positive.

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    Maybe I was a bit too harsh on them earlier. The problem was that each time I called whoever I spoke with didn't seem too friendly and it seemed like I was the one inconveniencing them by calling. They seemed to be quick to shrug the problem off as someone else's fault with no reason or plan to fix it. I don't see it any different then dropping a car off at a shop to get new tires and them not putting them on because the tires you ordered were on backorder and you can't have your car back because they already threw your old ones away..

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Give Bradis a try.

+1 Ive been doing bussiness with bradis for years and Ive always gotten great service. They all know me by first name and i know most of them by thiers. Real friendly place with knoweledgeable people. Ask for Mark or Dave, both top notch dudes. Also if Lisa is thier shes the owner and she is probably my favorite one to deal with, She may gloat about her newest grandbaby to you but what grandmother wouldnt, shea a real stand up lady.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    If you dont mind a good drive out into the woods down here in Martinsville there is a Store on HallSchool Rd. just off of, I think its 142, If you take 67 down and turn like your going to monrovia just a few miles up there will be a big intersection just turn left and follow that road until you pass through wilbur then be on the look out on the right for Hallschool Rd. Just turn and follow it until you see the store on the right. Butch is the manager hes also a cool old man with lots of great hunting stories he may have his dog with him but shes just as friendly as he is. The adress is 7270 Hallschool Rd. Martinsville, IN 46151 it would probably be best to map quest it than take my shoddy direcions to heart.

Top Bottom