• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Ok, I put this under "Carry Issues and Self-Defense", but I'm not sure....

The Controversial Felony Murder Case of The Elkhart 4: Should Teens Be Sentenced to 50 Years in Prison?--

4 teens have been charged with "Felony Murder" after 5 of them broke into an occupied home.
    The resident shot 2 of them, one died.
    So the surviving 4 have been charged with his death.

I think most of us here know
    “You break into a home, you home-invade a home, is it foreseeable that someone might get hurt? The answer to that would be yes,” said former prosecutor and legal analyst Nancy Grace. “Is it foreseeable that homeowner is going to shoot you? The answer is yes.”

Apparently though several people are not aware, because they are raising up a ruckus that this is "not fair".

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    the criminals should be charged with the death. although then one could argue that it can't be a good shot if its also murder.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    What's that saying? Oh yeah, "play stupid games, win stupid prizes".

It's a tragedy all the way around, but I have no problem with them being charged for murder. I'd prefer they don't have a opportunity to do something else as stupid and possibly get someone innocent killed. You break into someone's home, you deserve what you get in my eyes. I feel the worst for the homeowner, not the punks.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    the criminals should be charged with the death. although then one could argue that it can't be a good shot if its also murder.

Its a self defense shooting for the homeowner. The homeowner was protecting him or her self, family and/or property.

The people being charged with felony murder are the ones who perpetrated the felony. its kind of a "but for" argument, i believe. But for their decision to break into the house and steal, the shooting and death would not have occurred. But the law deems it a reasonably foreseeable outcome of their actions. THis has no impact on the defensive shooter.

To me, the real question is whether the teens would be charged with felony murder if the house had been, as they thought empty. And if, instead of a shooting death, lets say one of the teens tripped at the top of a set of stairs and tumbled down the stairs, breaking his neck and still ending up dead? Could that result in a charge of felony murder?

ITs a shame for the teens, but B&E, home invasion, often results in a death. They all knew that.

Would people fee so sad for these "children" if, instead of merely wanting to get some quick cash, they had intended to break in and gang rape a cute young lady? How about if they had intended to break in and beat down some crotchety old man who had yelled at them and "dissed" them the day before?

Maybe they can be rehabbed. This may be a case where that is possible. IF so, I hope the prison system works for rehab instead of just storage and training.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I cannot feel sorry for them at all. I watched the piece last night on channel 6. These kids were being portrayed as victims. Total BS.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I don't agree with charging someone with murder for the death of an accomplice. The dead person chose to take part in the crime and was responsible for their own demise.

If a bystander had died, I would be all for it. Then the deceased would be a victim, and it would be as a direct result of the crime originally committed.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    The whole notion that they are teens and are too young to serve 50 years in prison just encourages this kind of behavior. It is so difficult to punish teens for their crimes that they come to believe they are outside the law.
    Do the crime, do the time.
    What ever age you are.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Cumberland
    The real sad story here is the lack of proper guidance these teens had, hell at that age I was worried about finding the best skate spots not wondering what house I was going to burglarize. Charge the teens set an example for all these youuffs, and others who think its a great challenge to rob someone.
    Hang em, workem anything but give em a smack on the hand or 3 months probation.

This hug a thug program isnt workin, you will see more and more of this, thugs, youuffs, know the penalties arent sever enough to detour them from consistently committing crime.

Its time homeowners step up, be vigilant but not paranoid and remember the Police are only " minutes"
    Away.

Keep safe and alert, as for the ....teens, **** on em we have other more important things to think about.

Last edited:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    So going to rob someplace and getting yourself killed in the process is not a direct result of your own actions? :dunno:

The only thing that offends me about a 50 year sentence for these guys is how much it's going to cost the taxpayers to house, feed, and clothe them for that time. Probably a huge improvement in living conditions for them!

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    The survivors are lucky to be alive, let alone in DOC. A "dumb plan"? Somehow I bet this wasn't anyone's first rodeo.

We're heading toward Clockwork Orange, where juvenile gangs roam the cities terrorizing the citizenry, and largely escape accountability for their acts. Because, y'know, they're just kids! Think of the kids!

Bollocks. Better luck next life, mopes.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Poor kids, all they wanted to do was rob a place. How could they ever guess that it would go bad?

They got their just rewards. Stop making celebrities out of them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I cannot feel sorry for them at all. I watched the piece last night on channel 6. These kids were being portrayed as victims. Total BS.

Victim's............of what.

I would only hope to be a better shot and end more of them.
    These idiots are rabid dogs. We put rabid dogs down.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't agree with charging someone with murder for the death of an accomplice. The dead person chose to take part in the crime and was responsible for their own demise.

If a bystander had died, I would be all for it. Then the deceased would be a victim, and it would be as a direct result of the crime originally committed.

This is another level of deterrent to get these idiots to pay attention. Apparently it does not work.

I see no issue in charging them with this. If they had not done the deed everyone would still be breathing today. They made the choice to invade a home. They should now pay dearly for that choice.
    Those who live in that home will never be the same again for the actions of those idiots.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So going to rob someplace and getting yourself killed in the process is not a direct result of your own actions? :dunno:

The only thing that offends me about a 50 year sentence for these guys is how much it's going to cost the taxpayers to house, feed, and clothe them for that time. Probably a huge improvement in living conditions for them!

Stick around...you will have a lot of opportunity to be and stay pi$$ed.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I guess I'm feeling a little soft-hearted this morning. I think it's sad such a result happened and because of that, they'll pay a heavy price. But a person is dead. It's nobody's fault but their own. I do not fault the homeowner, the judge, or the jury. I do not fault the law...but I do find some sadness that at those ages, they've doomed themselves to 50 years in prison.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Numerous newspaper articles & local TV station segments regarding this from the time it occurred through the trial/sentencing and to this weekend. All that I have personally seen are in regard to the poor kids and how unjust their sentences are except a couple short ones dealing with the homeowner. Outrage by the kids families, friends, and supporters... You know, they are really good kids that just made a mistake- they didn't mean for anyone to get hurt.

Top Bottom