• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Now, I'm not complaining about being asked to leave for carrying a firearm (although I feel I have every right to complain about that). No, what I'm really upset about is that not only is Cabela's staff just not getting the message from their corporate officers, but that they decided to treat me like a second-class citizen. "We shouldn't have to look at that". Really, Cabela's? You sell firearms but you shouldn't have to look at someone actually carrying one? What kind of ridiculous ******* hypocrites are you?

There. I made it easier for you.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I can't find the ignore feature where is it I am computer retarded sometimes!!:rolleyes:

Click on the person's userid, then select to view their public profile. Once you get there, there is a little item called "user lists." Click on that, and select "add user to your ignore list."

:yesway:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Wow. I'm actually getting hate mail for expressing an opinion that differs from the mob mentality.

I'm anti-gun for thinking walking around in a store might scare the people in said store?
    You want to drum me off the boards because I don't agree with the mob in this thread on one issue?

Yes, I understand what some people feel is the core issue here, that corporate policy seems to state one thing and local policy conflicts with that. Having worked in the corporate sector the majority of my adult life, I can tell you with great confidence that the people at corporate will always support local managers making conservative calls, and using their best judgement. A corporate policy is not necessarily a bill of rights for anyone to rampage around their store anyway they like.

Now for those of you who apparently feel an opposing viewpoint is somehow threatening to your very existance, by all means, ignore me. You're not someone I would really want to talk to anyway, if you just want me to parrot your opinions back to you verbatim and tell you how right you are. The rest of you, I value your opinions and enjoy the friendly debate. :)

Hey Rhino? Just in case you missed something...

:joke:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Now, I am as pro-gun as it gets. I concealed carry pretty much at all times. I can, however, see where the store managers may be coming from.

Most of the people on this board are intelligent and skilled markmen. However, how many of us know friends that own guns that are idiots? Ones that have accidentally discharged weapons, etc? A former friend of mine lost his life showing someone how safe a 45 grip safety was by aiming the gun at his head. Unfortunately he still had a good enough grip to release the safety. This friend worked at a gun store and was very knowledgeable.

If I had a store, and you walked into it with a gun in plain sight, I am thinking there are many potential problems. For starters, you may be a threat. I don't know you have a LTCH. I don't know that you aren't a kook. I don't know that you aren't going to unholster it to show it to someone, even an employee. Accidents happen, and any accidents that happen on their property the business can get sued for. For the store owner, there are no upsides to you wandering the building armed. If they get robbed and you just happen to be standing there, the last thing management would want is for you to go Charles Bronson and start shooting. Policy is to hand over the loot and call the cops, not to confront and maybe get some people killed in the process.

So in summary, the best move for them is to ask you to leave. Whether you can exercise your right is meaningless to them, you are a liability in their eyes, and frankly, you're on private property. They have the right, just like you do in your own home, to set the standard of what they will tolerate in their own building, for the safety of themselves and the customers you may chase off with your "scary" exposed gun.

For me, I can defend myself and the loved ones with me....while at the same time, not scaring the sheeple. They can't ask me to leave if they don't know it's there.

Good point, many gun stores do not want loaded weapons in thier store and post it on the door. In this case, Cabelas should either do the same or not state that it will respect Indiana law.

Case in point is the 500 Guns store on the west side of Indy where the owner was accosted by two perps. I do not believe the perps brought weapons in but the owner dispatched both of them after being accosted, weapon taken, and taken in the back to be killed. The owner carried an H&K P7 which the perp could not figure out how to use. If they brought weapons in, it might have turned out differently.

I do believe that gun shops can be, and are, a target for holdups so I can understand caution.

I think some of you are being too touchy. This is a good post and the points are all valid. I do not OC for previously stated reasons. I CC and many of the places I CC are very sensitive, read that, people that are very anti gun and would sh_t a brick if they knew I has a 45 handy. All I want to do is not become a statistic so I don't care if someone knows I carry or not. By the way, I CC in that Cabelas, every time I go through.

Last edited:

anewrnn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Crown Point
    OPEN CARRY EVENT!!!!!!

Im going in their on my next day off and see what they do. This stuff is ridiculous. I think everyone should start going in there open carrying and lets just drive them nuts. We should definitely do an open carry event. When can we schedule one or will someone schedule one??? I work midnights but I will go sleep deprived to show up.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Good point, many gun stores do not want loaded weapons in thier store and post it on the door. In this case, Cabelas should either do the same or not state that it will respect Indiana law.

Cabela's has a sign similar to the one at Gander Mountain that says if you're bringing in a gun for service or sale that it must be checked. It has a specific exemption on it for licensed carriers. Again, being ejected was not the issue. I understand the "scaring the soccer moms" problem. I don't buy it, but I understand it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    I think its very hypocritical for a store that sells firearms and ammuntion, Cabelas or otherwise, to prohibit lawful carry of the same on their property. Granted, Cabelas didn't prohibit it before the fact, but they asked you to leave, which amounts to the same thing IMHO.

I've never shopped at Cabelas, and now I never will. Harrassing your customer base is a poor way to turn a profit, and I'm sure eventually they'll realize this.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Cabela's has a sign similar to the one at Gander Mountain that says if you're bringing in a gun for service or sale that it must be checked. It has a specific exemption on it for licensed carriers. Again, being ejected was not the issue. I understand the "scaring the soccer moms" problem. I don't buy it, but I understand it.

To tell you the truth, when I get my back up, I fight. Why didn't you ask to see the manager? Just askin?

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    You'll have to scroll back. I already covered that.
    You know for a guy who chooses to appear offline you sure do respond quick....lol

I just canceled my online order with cabela's that was on back order and gave them the reason why I don't expect to hear anything back in return I am sure my order was small potatoes but if many more did this they might get the idea.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    As far as not shopping there anymore? I got this there for a little more than 1/2 of it's value. I never burn bridges.

Russian Margolin Olympic 22
    margolin1uc5.jpg

I also picked this up for a really great price.

1956 Marlin Golden Mountie
    39amountieeq1.jpg

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Why even have a permit if we cant carry in a store that sales guns. If you read the papers or watch TV its the freakin criminals that are killing people, robbing people are not permit holders but criminals. After going to Gander Mountain (greenwood) the other day for a trade with Winchest55 i finally saw how the prices on ammo has skyrocketed and you could only buy 2 boxes. Who is going to spend $100 on 2 boxes of ammo. Thats why i go to local small gun stores-the service,price, and a hell of a lot more friendly.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom