• bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wonder how long this will go on....

Here, let me see what I can do to end it :D...

I'm still waiting for you to come kick my ass. Oh and I'm still working up the "courage" to do a video since that's what seems to be your standard for bravery LOL.

Maybe when you "come gunnin" you can video it?

In your dreams, friend.
    I wasn't the one calling folks "cowards." ;)

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm still waiting for you to come kick my ass. Oh and I'm still working up the "courage" to do a video since that's what seems to be your standard for bravery LOL.

Maybe when you "come gunnin" you can video it?

As far as Yeager goes.

I don't care a lick about his attitude. He is kind of abrasive but while annoying can also be mildly amusing. Heck I even agree with quite a bit of the things he is saying (heard it before and agreed with it when I heard it long before he said it and, imo, by better instructors).

I DO take issue with someone leaving their buddies to die in order to CYA.

Again , IF the company AAR is correct (presumably written with the video and statements from his teammates) then those were the actions of a coward. Period.

As for those people who say they may do the same thing, well then don't get into any line of work that requires you to move towards danger instead of away from it. If you do choose those types of professions then you need to get it right in your head that there are some things worse than death.

What kind of danger have you moved toward during your career and where? I would like to know what that is like and what goes through a persons mind. I know it could be a situation where he just made a mistake, but can something like this be overcome? Does it ruine a career? If it was a cowardous situation, I can probably figure out the answer, but if not, is there any coming back? I really want to know.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    What kind of danger have you moved toward during your career and where? I would like to know what that is like and what goes through a persons mind. I know it could be a situation where he just made a mistake, but can something like this be overcome? Does it ruine a career? If it was a cowardous situation, I can probably figure out the answer, but if not, is there any coming back? I really want to know.
    I can think of several professions, my own included (though mine would be a bit different danger); but will await a response :D

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana

Used to be a cop.

Got dispatched to lots of "dangerous" situations.

Was even in the middle of a little riot. Busted cruiser windows, slashed tires, mob of angry (in this case about 30 or 40 black folks). First "back up" officer on scene. Two others there before me (primary responding officers). One being dragged towards his cruiser by another after the mob chucked 40oz bottles at his head. Got between the mob and them and yelled for him to get him out of here. Then I talked my ass off with the "leader" of the mob hoping I wouldn't have to shoot a bunch of them before they got me. Bought enough time for the calvary to get there (other city, deputies, and state). Felt like a long long time but probably only a minute or two.

Edit: Oh hey! I remembered I did get to say a couple "cool lines", well maybe one sort of "cool" line. It's been about 16 years so I don't recall exactly what was said but the guy looked at me with my hand on my gun, looked back at the angry folk behind him and said something like "You can't shoot all of us" or something about not having enough bullets. - I am not really sure what I said but it went something like "I got fifteen rounds". - on hind sight I probably should have had a really good Stallone'esq phrase prepared for a situation like that but unfortunately I did not.

Other situations as well but that one was the one I felt I was most in a lose lose situation if they pressed the attack.

In the situation above the first thing that popped into my head when I got out of the car was buy them time to retreat but generally the thoughts going through my head did not usually involve personal danger till after it was all over. Thoughts of a "tactical nature" were more prevalent and, this is probably bad, but I recall also thinking about what and how long the report was going to be justifying the use of force or the charges.

Had a few other "oh sh*t" moments where I was just plain lucky.

I wouldn't say anything "courageous" - just thinking more of duty versus personal safety. .

If you are moving to a better position or something like that in order to provide support that's one thing but and I don't know how to put it any other way, you just don't bail on your guys to save yourself. Has nothing to do with being "brave". You just don't do it.

Oh, there was one sgt. who left a guy out on his own on a bad domestic call because he was afraid (admitted it later - guy was punching holes in the wall and was violent). No one trusted him ever again. Spent most of his time on a desk after that. Another officer (former marine sniper from Vietnam days who filed a complaint after the incident - he was livid, couldn't stand cowardice) and I dropped what we were doing to back up the officer the sgt was supposed to.

There was another fellow that they were still telling stories about him years after he had quit (before I was hired). Big tough guy, used to bully people (according to officers who worked with him). Then one day a couple guys (citizens) decided they weren't going to take it so they basically fought back. Story was he crawled under the cruiser and was hiding there waiting for backup. They say he quit because he couldn't live down the incident.

Last edited:

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    On INGO, im sure there are more then a couple military and LEOs that have run toward the gunfire instead of away. Granted, I haven't seen much of anything on the video here, and dont care too much enough to research it. There is a fight, flight, freeze instinct in all of us. No matter how much training, there is always the chance for someone to run. Sometimes, in combat, thats even an acceptable answer. Maybe not fleeing your buddies, but to move back to better cover.
    Like thebishopp, i have seen people do all three of those. Some that you would think, stand up and fight like you wouldnt believe. Some that you would think would fight, turn and run. And, I have even seen some freeze up. Heck, watch Band of Brothers. Those are in the Infantry, and not only that, but Paratroopers, the elite back then. It happened to them as well.
    Is it something that can be trained out? Not likely. Just like, the first time, someone might stand and fight, then the second time, know whats going to happen and freeze, or even run. This is just my two cents. If you want to know some of my "creds" Id be happy to tell you, if you dont care, im not that worried either.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I have no creds. I have no idea what I would do in those situations. I really don't want to ever know if I have the choice. I just don't know.

But what I do know, is I don't tell anyone how I'm a BAMF when my "cred" is suspicious. Hell, I don't tell anyone I'm a KSABAMFBNR. (Kinda-sorta a bad as mo fo but not really). I'm just a ginger.... and sinceI have no soul I figure that scares people more than anything I could ever say or any action I might take.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    His recent thing was obviously pot shots at Travis Haley and Chris Costa. He commented about how he became somebody without being part of a bigger company and branching off to do his own thing.

So he built his own training from nothing instead of success of once being part of a big name company...so what, does he want a cookie for it?

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    His recent thing was obviously pot shots at Travis Haley and Chris Costa. He commented about how he became somebody without being part of a bigger company and branching off to do his own thing.

So he built his own training from nothing instead of success of once being part of a big name company...so what, does he want a cookie for it?

Well, that is something i would give him slightly more kudos on that, but then again, anyone can become an instructor, its not like you have to meet certain requirements. Anyone can become an instructor. Course, I would imagine its pretty hard to work for a bigger company and then leave. Especially working for a big company. Its not like they just hire anyone, you really have to prove yourself and that you are willing to teach and learn (if its some of the schools that I know about, they send their instructors to other classes to keep learning and keep new and fresh material).

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom