• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Who should be targeted for education on gun rights in Indiana?

• Total voters

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Arguably, Indiana has the most Constitutionally compliant gun ownership laws in the country. We also have the only lifetime LTCH, which some find to be a great benefit. I talk with a lot of people about firearm issues and find that many of them just aren't interested in owning guns. Some of them have had negative encounters with people using guns in an irresponsible or illegal manner and have developed a stigma based on fear. They say, "It's fine for you to own a gun, but I just don't want one in my house." This is a group of people who some believe should be educated.

Also, there are people who own guns and have them in their homes. They hardly ever pull them out and have no desire to carry them on a daily basis. If anything happened in their homes, they would do better to leave the gun alone, because they really don't know how to operate it in a responsible manner. For example, they may have a .44 magnum and live in a frame home with their neighbor's bedroom less than 20 feet away. Some would say these people need to know their rights and start developing their skills as owners of firearms.

Then we have a small segment of police and most politicians who believe the only people who "need" to own firearms are law enforcement officers. They are accepting of the laws of the state of Indiana, but wouldn't see anything wrong with revisions. They believe that ultimately, if guns were out of the hands of citizens, then crime would reduce; however, they lump legal and illegal owners of guns in the same category. Some would say this group of people should be educated and realize that law abiding citizens should be treated as those who believe in self preservation and the safety of their families.

Lastly, there are those who really don't fit in the aforementioned categories. They are just voters who believe that guns are "bad" and should be outlawed for everyone. They base this belief on nothing more that a gut feeling that somehow if a law is passed, everyone including criminals will hand over their guns. Some would say there is hope for this group of people and they can be educated.

Not saying that it is, but if it were impossible to target each of these groups at the same time, which would you say was the single most important group to educate and how would you suggest doing it? I realize I may have missed a group or didn't provide every detail someone may need to make an assessment. If that is so, just let me know.

Last edited:

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    IMHO, I think it's mostly too late to try and turn an adults opinion. If we can find a way to educate and teach children, I think that is where we see the most gain in the future.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I don't think an adult will change their mind unless something bad happens to them. But, politicians and LEOs can be forced to change if enough people stand up. Kind of a squeaky wheel getting the grease, problem is, there are a lot of squeaky wheels, and a lot of them are teaching in public schools.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I guess my vote would be for the general public that is afraid of guns and doesn't think anyone should have them. Sure it might be difficult to change their mind, and you will probably never get them to own one, but convincing them that it's ok and normal for someone that wishes to own one should be able to.

I agree that gun laws in Indiana are pretty favorable, but it's always good to keep people in high places on your side. The tides change constantly in the crazy world of politics.

As for LEO, I think it's important that they support civilian carry. I think a lot do, but I think there is also a "guns on the street are bad" mentality too. I am not an LEO so I have no real idea however. If you watch "Cops" or "Steven Segal: Lawman" (prime example of LEO across the country right? ;) ) they always say "we need to get guns off the street" so it would be interesting to see what their opinions are.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    IMHO, I think it's mostly too late to try and turn an adults opinion. If we can find a way to educate and teach children, I think that is where we see the most gain in the future.
    they need to focus on American history in schools again. if the kids understand our past they will know why it is important to bear arms.

Security122

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Southside of Indy
    I went with “Guns are fine, but I just don’t want one,” because these people could easily be swayed by either the anti 2As or pro 2As. Getting them to a range to do some shooting and getting them comfortable with guns would probably be all it would take to get them off the fence.

Last edited:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Very interesting subject, Que.

As was discussed a lot on the OC Walk threads, some folks think that the "sheeple" need to be educated.

I would love it if everyone liked guns as much as I do.

But, in reality, it just isn't going to be that way.

People don't have to "practice" the 2nd Amendment in order to support it, any more than someone has to utilize the 1st Amendment to support it.

I showed my wife the news coverage of the OC Walk yesterday. She wondered why people would carry rifles down a main street in downtown Indy. For her, though she doesn't generally like guns, she strongly supports the 2nd Amendment (and all of them, for that matter). Perhaps she is a sheeple, but seeing that news story certainly didn't impress her.

I only bring this up because we all must remember that folks on gun sites like this are generally a lot stronger in their opinions about carrying, etc. At the same time, I often feel as if those that don't share these same feelings are lumped into the "sheeple" category.

My wife is probably a "sheeple". But she also is an ally to gun ownership and the 2nd Amendment. We must remember that lots of folks don't "think" like us.

In summary, I support folks' rights to carry rifles in downtown Indy if they choose. I personally don't think it helps our cause, but that doesn't mean I don't support the right to do it.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Cradle to grave.

The,"Masses",have no desire to be educated. They have already been indoctrinated. Changing the,"adult", mind of one so indoctrinated is a nearly impossible task. The only avenue would be in the way of some means of intense re-education, and I do not believe we have the tools.

wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    My first choice would have been "all of the above" but since that wasn't a choice I voted for citizens because citizens are voters, so its a twofer.

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    I voted politician and LEO. These are the guys who make and enforce the laws. If these guys have their head right, the rest will follow. Those who have guns but don't use them or those who don't care either way aren't a problem as far as gun rights are concerned. Whoever isn't against us is for us. Obviously gun education is important for everyone. The next most important category IMO would be the voter. Good poll!

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Politicians and LEOs. The only reason the last group believes that the passing of some law can get rid of ALL guns, is because someone (LEO, Politician, Media, etc) has told them that.

khickey3492

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Kokomo
    After reading the posts concerning the publicist in the People's Republic of California, I chose "OTHER". I feel we would get the best results educating the miscreants in the MEDIA! The rest of the sheep will follow whatever they say!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Many are answering the first part of the question as to what group to education, but it would be interesting to hear how you believe this could be done.

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    I would say Educate the ones who own the fire arms but don't fully understand or know the proper information regarding safety and handling of fire arms. They contribute just as much as the bad guys do to the anti gun laws that we see so often, I know it shock us as much if not more when we hear about Joe Shmoe from nicevill that had a negligent discharge and shot his neighbor while both were sitting in there own homes watching T.V. I also think we should reach the children and give them the proper education for what is a safe gun and how to handle it. Weather the ani gun people like it or not this is part of our culture. Safety first is what they teach about sex why cant we do the same for fire arms.

We never have an accident with fire arms it is only negligence.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Many are answering the first part of the question as to what group to education, but it would be interesting to hear how you believe this could be done.

You already know MY idea on how to accomplish this... ;)

Hopefully INGO will find out about it later.

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    others
    Educate those "close" to you. The people (family, neighbors, friends) that know you carry or know you like shooting etc and they themselves want to but don't know how to start.
    Go over the Basics.
    Take them to the range.
    Help them apply for LTCH.
    Show them INGO.

Last edited:

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    others
    Educate those "close" to you. The people (family, neighbors, friends) that know you carry or know you like shooting etc and they themselves want to but don't know how to start.
    Go over the Basics.
    Take them to the range.
    Help them apply for LTCH.
    Show them INGO.

I tend to agree with this line of thought. There are quite a few within my sphere of influence. It is the same for each of you, too. Like it or not, we are all already representing -- favorably to unfavorably -- the second amendment, both in its spirit as well as in practice.

I have quite a few open invitations to friends/family/coworkers for trips to the range for target shooting. (Of course, with cooler weather setting in, I'm taking a few rain checks on those invitations.) But introducing others to the thrilling challenges of accurately and efficiently firing a handgun at its intended target is something that fits well with my personality, and from which I derive a great deal of satisfaction. This is destined to be more along the lines of my own contribution to the furtherance and support of the second amendment.

Que, thank you for synthesizing some of the recurring issues/themes from other related threads, and presenting them succinctly for vote and discussion. I think that much good can come of this.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom