• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Sorry Steve, but maybe this will work (you probably did this already). We are in desparate need for volunteers at Eagle Creek pistol range on the weekends. Even if you can come out for one day a week, that is great. Pay? Well, Im still waiting on my paperwork. However, we can offer free range time (when slow), free brass (providing the customer or I have not taken claim to it:draw:). Also, you get to have fresh air and lots of fun!

All that is required is:
    Help setting up (Saturday morn) or tearing down (sunday afternoon).
    Be present from 900-ish to 1630hrs (for teardown on Sundays).
    Occasional sweeping of brass.
    Keen eye for details (watching the line to make sure no one does anything crazy).
    Kind demeanor (Sirs and Maams, no yelling at customers if they do something weird. Kind reminders, NO DRILL SEARGENTING! We want to keep customers).

In general, its fun and personally rewarding. If we do not have volunteers, we will eventually have to start closing one or both days of the weekend due to lack of safety. Stop on by the range 10-1600hrs and talk to one of the range officers about volunteering(serious people only, we have had a lot of folks come out, want to volunteer, then never show up again).

Help us keep Eagle Creek going! Stop by and talk to the ROs about joining the glamorous world of unpaid volunteering!

Best Wishes,
    Vernon Mccollough
    Local Idiot, Product Manager, Volunteer Range Officer, "Disposable Heart"

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I don't live too far away, and would do it if I knew I would have the time.

Maybe I'll stop by and check it out and see if I could work it in.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Thanks, Vernon.

He's right; it's getting to the point where ECPR may no longer be the best place to shoot in Indy due to lack of staff.

I'm not being Chicken Little (I don't think I am, anyway). The support I've had from my higher-ups is abysmal, to say the least. To put it bluntly, there's a bunch of liberal tree-huggers in charge of Indy Parks, and I don't believe they give a **** about shooters, and our rights.

I'm getting pissed just typing this.....:xmad:

Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    To keep this thread active, I have a question.

For those who may be considering volunteering, what kind of experience level and training is required?

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    To me, #1 is to be observant. Stuff happens fast, and you've got to be able to head it off before it happens. Almost like being in Col. Coopers Condition Red while the line is hot. It wears you out (or it does me, anyway).

Have a Carry License - not really mandatory, but helpful.

A lot of our 'training' is OJT, just jump in and start watching.

I like people with open minds, and those who have an aptitude (and attitude) for teaching.

PATIENCE!! Gotta have patience. Some of the folks who come to shoot will challenge your patience, right up to the breaking point.

Sorry, this is just some disjointed ramblings before I go to work....

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Helping bump this... I now see that Eagle Creek is only running on Sundays... and to me that sucks, because with the exception of this Sunday, Sundays are fairly impossible for me and I just bought a 10 day pass last visit. So unless you guys get some volunteers, I guess I"ll be using the pass as toilet paper.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    We may have the situation taken care of. Believe me, I hated to close on Saturdays, but 1 or even 2 RO's can't safely run things.

The 10 visit pass is still good for 10 visits, even if it takes 2 years to use it up. Don't give up on us so fast.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    We may have the situation taken care of. Believe me, I hated to close on Saturdays, but 1 or even 2 RO's can't safely run things.

The 10 visit pass is still good for 10 visits, even if it takes 2 years to use it up. Don't give up on us so fast.

Oh thats good, I just figured it was good for the year.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Bumping this because we are officially minus yet another RO. That really only leaves 3-4 of us TOTAL and we all work full time jobs during the week also (some of us more than one).

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Okay, well, we need people that are truely interested to come out and maybe fill out an application to become not just a volunteer, but a paid RO (now that will get people scrambling over each other to get out there). Cmon folks! You get paid to shoot! Free Brass! I mean, seriously!:D

Steve, this maybe our ticket to getting folks. Bring out some apps next time you come out.

BeeRian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have worked there the past 2 years and it has been a really great time. I've met a lot of nice people, seen a lot of cool stuff and really learned a lot. It requires commitment to be there and pay attention, but it always turns out to be a nice day at the range when its all said and done.

We have a new baby at home, so my old position is now open. Im really going to miss it, but you know how infants can be...wahh this, and wahh that! Jeez! Come on already...so your only 12 weeks old, I had to walk 3 miles to school uphill in the snow when I was 12 weeks old! (scarcasm implied here...)

Top Bottom